Jump to content

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China

I've got my welcome notice on 19th last month and found out that my name is wrong. I don't have middle name but there it is on the letter, I have a middle name! I freaked out! Called CIS at once and they told me to write a cover letter, copy my welcome notice and point out the error and send it with over-night express. The very next day I sent it out( 4 days after my welcome notice), I've got my green card in hand with wrong name! And then they told me that I need to file out I-90 and send it back with green card and copy of I-797(welcome notice). I am so confused and pi$$ed. Then I found out that I could get my passport stamped with I-551 but I can only go to the service center which issued my green card. Well... I fianlly got it done.

Just few tips to share in case whoever is in the same situation:

If you find error on welcome notice... most likely your green card will have the same info. Do not send the cover letter or call... wait for the actual green card. Save yourself hasle and money. Once the green card arrieves, call CIS or get online to find out which one is your service center and make an appointment with them online for the stamp of I-551(You can choose the date and time! ). They should give you a stamp on your passport for one year and you can then file in I-90, copy of I-797 and your green card without being uncomfortable.

Hope that helps. :)

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)







Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27



wel letter......2006/09/19


Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen many people here who had problems with incorrect info on their greencards. Very nice suggestion and thanks for sharing!

...and congrats on getting the greencard, tho with incorrect name :)

Click here for our complete timeline; from K1 all the way to citizenship.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry about the error on your Green Card, but CONGRATS anyway!!! :dance:

You can find a lot of experiences and help about how to correct your Green Card here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138

It's a very informative thread! :thumbs:

Wish you the best of luck! (F)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...