Steffi

I-90 Info thread for Greencard errors

299 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Taken from kearinne from the old thread:

I'm starting this thread because there seems to be quite a few of us now with this problem and pooling our collective experiences and knowledge may help each other and anyone new to this situation. Myself - My Greencard says I'm male. My husband would quite disagree.

So here, I'll start with the info...

First: You can not e-file your I-90 application if your greencard has an error. Quote from USCIS webpage - pdf file about e-filing I-90s:

E-Filing is not for everyone, as there are certain situations where you must

paper file a Form I-90, such as:

• If your card was issued with incorrect information because of a USCIS

administrative error;

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/Guide5.pdf has the full list of situations. I only included the one pertaining to our situation - errors

Instead, send completed I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) and attach cover letter stating:

1. Your full name

2. The receipt # (MSC etc) that came with your card (should be the same as NOA1 on I-485)

3. Your A#

4. What exactly the error on your greencard is

5. A list of all coppies of documents included to show the correct info about yourself (ie: Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage Certificate)

Now, if you read the instructions that come with the I-90, it says you have to bring the original card and documents to your ASC (Application Support Center) when they give you an interview - WRONG. When I called the 1-800 #, I was told to send the original Permanent Resident Card with the I-90 Application, so I did. There are also "Special Instructions" people in our situation must follow, not the instructions that come with the I-90 form. This was confirmed with the news release on the USCIS webpage (pdf file below).

You must sent the card to the last Service Center that dealt with your I-485 application. This is the address I was told to send it to as mine was transfered to CSC.

California Service Center

Attn: I-90 "d"

P.O. Box 10090

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1009

There is NO fee for this. For more information on intructions and addresses, please read this PDF file:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/ne...I-90_050908.pdf

Now, what I do not know is if you eventually get an NOA for this form as I have not received one yet. I sent my I-90 on January 19th and haven't heard anything back yet. I also do not know what to do after sending the I-90 besides wait... So please, if you have more information concerning this or any new questions, add to this thread. We can do nothing but help one another out by sharing our experiences and knowledge.

For some reason it won't let me add this in a new reply, it just keeps taggingit onto the old one, so here we go....

TO ADD YOUR NAME: COPY AND PASTE (including these instructions) AND PUT YOUR NAME IN THE APPROPRIATE PLACE OF WHEN YOU FILED YOUR I-90

Name-----------Sent I-90------Arrived-------Sent to----Reason-------------NOA-------New card

Steffi------------11/30/05-----12/06/05------CSC-------wrong photo-------N/A---------?

Kezzie-----------12/20/05-----12/21/05------NBC-------no card------------?----------?

Kearinne--------01/18/06-----01/19/06------CSC-------wrong sex---------N/A---------?

Edited by Steffi

January 10, 2003: K1 NOA

October 23, 2003: AOS NOA

November 10, 2005: AOS approved w/o interview (749 days!!)

September 30, 2009: German Beibehaltungsgenehmigung

February 9, 2010: Naturalization interview and Oath Ceremony!

View profile for detailed timeline

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from kearinne from the old thread:

I'm starting this thread because there seems to be quite a few of us now with this problem and pooling our collective experiences and knowledge may help each other and anyone new to this situation. Myself - My Greencard says I'm male. My husband would quite disagree.

So here, I'll start with the info...

First: You can not e-file your I-90 application if your greencard has an error. Quote from USCIS webpage - pdf file about e-filing I-90s:

E-Filing is not for everyone, as there are certain situations where you must

paper file a Form I-90, such as:

• If your card was issued with incorrect information because of a USCIS

administrative error;

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/Guide5.pdf has the full list of situations. I only included the one pertaining to our situation - errors

Instead, send completed I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) and attach cover letter stating:

1. Your full name

2. The receipt # (MSC etc) that came with your card (should be the same as NOA1 on I-485)

3. Your A#

4. What exactly the error on your greencard is

5. A list of all coppies of documents included to show the correct info about yourself (ie: Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage Certificate)

Now, if you read the instructions that come with the I-90, it says you have to bring the original card and documents to your ASC (Application Support Center) when they give you an interview - WRONG. When I called the 1-800 #, I was told to send the original Permanent Resident Card with the I-90 Application, so I did. There are also "Special Instructions" people in our situation must follow, not the instructions that come with the I-90 form. This was confirmed with the news release on the USCIS webpage (pdf file below).

You must sent the card to the last Service Center that dealt with your I-485 application. This is the address I was told to send it to as mine was transfered to CSC.

California Service Center

Attn: I-90 "d"

P.O. Box 10090

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1009

There is NO fee for this. For more information on intructions and addresses, please read this PDF file:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/ne...I-90_050908.pdf

Now, what I do not know is if you eventually get an NOA for this form as I have not received one yet. I sent my I-90 on January 19th and haven't heard anything back yet. I also do not know what to do after sending the I-90 besides wait... So please, if you have more information concerning this or any new questions, add to this thread. We can do nothing but help one another out by sharing our experiences and knowledge.

For some reason it won't let me add this in a new reply, it just keeps taggingit onto the old one, so here we go....

TO ADD YOUR NAME: COPY AND PASTE (including these instructions) AND PUT YOUR NAME IN THE APPROPRIATE PLACE OF WHEN YOU FILED YOUR I-90

Name-----------Sent I-90------Arrived-------Sent to----Reason-------------NOA-------New card

Steffi------------11/30/05-----12/06/05------CSC-------wrong photo-------N/A---------?

Kezzie-----------12/20/05-----12/21/05------NBC-------no card------------?----------?

Kearinne--------01/18/06-----01/19/06------CSC-------wrong sex---------N/A---------?

Jpatter123------11/02/05-----11/15/05------CSC-------wrong sex--------11/23/-5-------

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow! JPATTER123, you actually got an NOA for your I-90? No one I know of has said anything about a NOA. Does it have the same receipt # as your original I-485 or is it something different. I'm just wondering because they kept touching Steffi's I-485 but mine hasn't budged since the day I got told they sent me a Welcome letter.

PS Thanks Steffi for putting this back up on the new forums. Hopefully more people will see this and share their experience. I know I'd like to hear of at least 1 person getting their new corrected card.

Ruth (Kristine) - Ontario, Canada / Andy - Oregon, USA

Became a couple July 4th 2002

Married July 4th 2005

K1 timeline

10/21/2004 - Petition sent to NSC

10/27/2004 - NOA1 issued

02/05/2005 - NOA2 issued

05/13/2005 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

AOS timeline

10/03/2005 - AOS package sent

10/11/2005 - NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP

11/22/2005 - Biometrics - AOS and EAD

12/07/2005 - AP and EAD approved!

12/15/2005 - AOS transfered to CSC

01/12/2006 - AOS Approved!

Removal of Conditions

04/09/2007 - Filed I-751 at NSC (filed early - see timeline for reason)

04/30/2007 - NOA1

06/02/2007 - Biometrics

03/27/2008 - Transferred to CSC

04/18/2008 - I-751 Approved! (didn't find out til 11 days afterward)

04/29/2008 - I-551 stamp at Portland office (told of approval)

05/12/2008 - 10yr Greencard arrives in mail!

*phew* I'm done for a bit now - naturalization can wait

Marilyn's green card had the wrong middle name. When you look at the I-485 paperwork, it only ever asks for the middle initial. While we were being interviewed for AOS, the officer asked to see Marilyn's birth cert, and then typed something into the system. We figured she was putting in the incorrect name then, as Marilyn took my last name and her former last name became her new middle name. All the other paperwork that is required with the AOS application had her middle name correctly (G-325, etc). We were approved for AOS on March 25th 2005 and received the green card in the mail about 10 days later, with the wrong middle name. At that time, requests to correct the green card had to be sent to the service centers as per the I-90 instructions (Ours is the lovely NSC). We made an info pass appointment in Denver and took the I-90 with proof it was the USCIS mistake. They took the paperwork and said it would be submitted to Missouri and we should get a new card in a few weeks (We had to turn in the card she just received). On April 18th, 2005 we received in the mail a NOA1 for the I-90 from..., you guessed it..., the NSC with the comment, "fee waived". Just this week, Jan 31st, 2006, I received an email telling us the new card has been ordered. We don't have it yet so can't tell you if it is still screwed up.

Marilyn and Peter.

K-1 Timeline in Profile (our story)

Church wedding Sept 18

NOA1's for AOS/EAD received Sept 20 MSC #

Biometrics completed Nov 5 2004

EAD Approval Dec 29 2004

AOS appointment letter received Feb 3 2005

AOS interview scheduled for March 9 2005

AOS interview mostly fine, just need I-693 supplement filled out by civil surgeon

Spend another $40 for I-693 form, sent to local USCIS office registered mail, arrived March 11 2005

AOS finally approved March 25th 2005

Green card arrives about 10 days later

!!Green card has incorrect middle name!! Thanks USCIS

Travel back to Denver, turn in card and I-90 to correct their mistake.

Application accepted, asked for I-551 stamp, they told me "We don't do stamps anymore"

NOA1 for I-90 received from NSC April 18 2005, fee waived

NSC appears to have stoped processing I-90's

Marilyn needs to travel back to the RP, call Senators office for help with green card or I-551 stamp

Travel back to Denver July 1, 2005 and received I-551 stamp in the passport.

Timeline

Hotairguy, would you mind adding you dates so we have an official timeline from you? It would help greatly as currently you're the farthest in on this situation. From your information it seems like it took roughly 9-10 months to get a notice about a new card being sent... ugh. But hey, at least you might finally be over this!

This is the current I-90 timeline:

Jpatter123------11/02/05-----11/15/05------CSC-------wrong sex-------11/23/-5-------

Steffi------------11/30/05-----12/06/05------CSC-------wrong photo---------?-----------?

Kezzie-----------12/20/05-----12/21/05------NBC-------no card--------------?------------?

Kearinne--------01/18/06-----01/19/06------CSC-------wrong sex-----------?-----------?

Edited by kearinne

Married July 4th 2005

K1 timeline

10/27/2004 - NOA1 issued

02/05/2005 - NOA2 issued

AOS timeline

Removal of Conditions

04/30/2007 - NOA1

06/02/2007 - Biometrics

Timeline

I don't like the sound of 9-10 months. :( I want to see my family this summer, and it's going to be a real pain in the @$$ if I don't get the correct card by then (considering how much trouble I had before). Ugh!

Thanks for sharing hotairguy.

Timeline
I don't like the sound of 9-10 months. :( I want to see my family this summer, and it's going to be a real pain in the @$$ if I don't get the correct card by then (considering how much trouble I had before). Ugh!

Can you not make an Infopass and see about getting an I-551 stamp? I'm pondering doing that next week as I'm all confused about whether or not I can still use my EAD and AP which are both good for a year. The only reason I haven't yet is because I don't know if you need a NOA for the I-90 to do it...

Married July 4th 2005

K1 timeline

10/27/2004 - NOA1 issued

02/05/2005 - NOA2 issued

AOS timeline

Removal of Conditions

04/30/2007 - NOA1

06/02/2007 - Biometrics

Can you not make an Infopass and see about getting an I-551 stamp? I'm pondering doing that next week as I'm all confused about whether or not I can still use my EAD and AP which are both good for a year. The only reason I haven't yet is because I don't know if you need a NOA for the I-90 to do it...

I will update the timeline when we get the card in hand, as I may not be done if they screw up again.

Kearinne, once AOS is approved, your EAD and AP are null and void. We tried to get the Denver office to give us the I-551 stamp when we had to turn in the old card, they refused. When Marilyn had to travel due to a family emergency, I called my Senator's office and complained about not getting the stamp. They called the USCIS office and told us to try again. When we went back, they gave us, and several others we saw, the stamp without any problems.

Edited by hotairguy

Church wedding Sept 18

EAD Approval Dec 29 2004

AOS interview mostly fine, just need I-693 supplement filled out by civil surgeon

Spend another $40 for I-693 form, sent to local USCIS office registered mail, arrived March 11 2005

Application accepted, asked for I-551 stamp, they told me "We don't do stamps anymore"

Marilyn needs to travel back to the RP, call Senators office for help with green card or I-551 stamp

Timeline

See, that's what I had so many issues with. I had plane tickets to see my family for Thanksgiving and then my GC got approved and came with the wrong photo and all, so I tried to get the I-551 stamp and it took me 3.5 hours and 3 trips back and forth to the Atlanta office (from which I thankfully only live about 7 minutes) before I got the stamp. And they flat out refused to give it to me, saying I had to file the I-90 and bla bla bla. It was a pain in the @$$ and I don't want to have to do that again if I can at all avoid it. I wish the officer would have just given me a 1-year stamp (I mean, he should have known that it would take a while to get a replacement card, right!!), but he just gave me one that was one day longer than our trip. :huh:

Name-----------Sent I-90------Arrived-------Sent to----Reason-------------NOA--------New card

Hotairguy-------?---------------?---------------NSC-------wrong name-------04/18/05

Jpatter123------11/02/05-----11/15/05------CSC-------wrong sex----------11/23/05----?

Steffi------------11/30/05-----12/06/05------CSC-------wrong photo--------?-------------?

Kezzie-----------12/20/05-----12/21/05------NBC-------no card-------------?-------------?

Kearinne--------01/18/06-----01/19/06------CSC-------wrong sex----------?-------------?

PS I don't know why you can't reply to a post you've made on your own without them adding together! Grrr.

Edited by Steffi

Timeline

Steffi, if this forum is like another I've used, you need to wait a full 1-2 minutes before posting again. So, just don't post right away and it should work. I may be wrong though as I do not know how they have set up this new forums.

Ok, if my EAD and AP are null and void....

a: How do I show appropriate ID to get a job and/or how do I get my SSN card changed so it doesn't say "Valid for work only with DHS authorization" anymore if I don't have the GC card to show the SS office? What do I tell people now at interviews regarding my being legal to work?

b: I can travel to see my daughter only IF I can get a I-551 stamp?

Can I scream yet? How about we all scream and maybe someone at USCIS will hear us. :ranting:

Married July 4th 2005

K1 timeline

10/27/2004 - NOA1 issued

02/05/2005 - NOA2 issued

AOS timeline

Removal of Conditions

04/30/2007 - NOA1

06/02/2007 - Biometrics

Filed: Timeline

I so need to SCREEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMM

I just got home and I have a letter from USCIS..... I was all excited for a min... But guess what... they have returned my I-90 with a letter saying I failed to send the appropriate fee.... I sent it to the address for I-90 corrections quoting b my card was never received.... as per the press release instructions... so what do I do now??? pay for something I have already paid for??

I am so so angry

Sorry I just need to vent... to just make it a perfect day My disabled daughter 24 yrs old in the Uk has been rushed into Hospital...

I have so had enough.....

Kezzie

Timeline

I'm sooooo sorry Kezzie! :( I wish I knew what to tell you. Only thing I can think of is to make an Infopass Appointment and try have them straighten it out. I just made one for next Wednesday February 8th as that's the earliest my husband can drive me down there. Hopefully I can get an I-551 stamp then and find out what's going on with my I-90 as well.

Married July 4th 2005

K1 timeline

10/27/2004 - NOA1 issued

02/05/2005 - NOA2 issued

AOS timeline

Removal of Conditions

04/30/2007 - NOA1

06/02/2007 - Biometrics

Steffi, if this forum is like another I've used, you need to wait a full 1-2 minutes before posting again. So, just don't post right away and it should work. I may be wrong though as I do not know how they have set up this new forums.

Ok, if my EAD and AP are null and void....

a: How do I show appropriate ID to get a job and/or how do I get my SSN card changed so it doesn't say "Valid for work only with DHS authorization" anymore if I don't have the GC card to show the SS office? What do I tell people now at interviews regarding my being legal to work?

b: I can travel to see my daughter only IF I can get a I-551 stamp?

Can I scream yet? How about we all scream and maybe someone at USCIS will hear us. :ranting:

A) Not really their problem. Not trying to be mean but they really don't care. Your I-551 stamp is also your authorization to work, just like the green card. Another reason you must have it if the local USCIS office gives you trouble.

B) Yes, you can travel with the I-551.

Marilyn and Peter.

Church wedding Sept 18

EAD Approval Dec 29 2004

Filed: Timeline

Well I had an infopass appointment this morning at 7:45... what they are saying is that although the instructions say you dont have to pay any fees if you did not receive your Greencard.. if USCIS think they have mailed it then its not their fault you did not receive it.. you can sue the USPS......

So I have had to e-file a I-90 and pay the $260 to get a Greencard...

Even my Congressman says there is nothing else I can do....

So the wait goes on... Vermont is working on I-90's from September 2005 so looks like it will be months thats if I get an appointment for new biometrics......

:crying::crying:

Kezzie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.