roseTX

Certificate of Citizenship for K2

10 posts in this topic

Me and my daughter arrived here on a K1/K2 visa. My husband adopted my daughter right after my daughter received her 2 year conditional green card. My daughter has a US passport already and we also updated her status as US citizen in her SSN.

How important is it to get a Certificate of Citizenship from USCIS for my daughter. As stated above, she has a US passport. Could not getting a Certificate of Citizenship affect her in the future even though she has a US passport? Me and my husband are planning to apply a Citizenship for my daughter next year.

Sorry I ask this again because I did not get a definite answer before.

Regards.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Me and my daughter arrived here on a K1/K2 visa. My husband adopted my daughter right after my daughter received her 2 year conditional green card. My daughter has a US passport already and we also updated her status as US citizen in her SSN.

How important is it to get a Certificate of Citizenship from USCIS for my daughter. As stated above, she has a US passport. Could not getting a Certificate of Citizenship affect her in the future even though she has a US passport? Me and my husband are planning to apply a Citizenship for my daughter next year.

Sorry I ask this again because I did not get a definite answer before.

Regards.

It's not important at all to get the Certificate of Citizenship (CoC) when your daughter's US citizenship has already been acknowledge by the US government when they issued a US passport to her.

There is no need to apply for US citizenship for your daughter next year, she is already a US citizen. Her US passport proves that she is a US citizen.

Edited by aaron2020

It's not important at all to get the Certificate of Citizenship (CoC) when your daughter's US citizenship has already been acknowledge by the US government when they issued a US passport to her.

There is no need to apply for US citizenship for your daughter next year, she is already a US citizen. Her US passport proves that she is a US citizen.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I appear hasty to you. I already know that she is a US citizen through her adoption. I am asking this because though my daughter has a US passport already and updated her SSN status, USCIS sent her a letter reminding her to remove her conditions and I am confused on what to do. Our lifting of conditions starts this month March.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I appear hasty to you. I already know that she is a US citizen through her adoption. I am asking this because though my daughter has a US passport already and updated her SSN status, USCIS sent her a letter reminding her to remove her conditions and I am confused on what to do. Our lifting of conditions starts this month March.

USCIS sent the reminder letter because the agency is not aware that your daughter is now a US citizen. You and your husband probably never informed USCIS that your USC husband adopted her and she derived US citizenship from him based on the Child Citizenship Act. In addition, US passports are issued by the US State Department, so USCIS is not aware of this fact either.

To foreclose any confusion about your daughter later based on the incomplete information that USCIS has (a claim later that she is in the US illegally because she did not remove the condition on her green card), it might be best to reply to the letter by sending back your daughter's green card, a copy of the adoption decree, a copy of the biographical page of her adopted father's US passport, a copy of the biographical page of her passport, and a letter explaining that she was acquired US citizenship through her adopted father and she does not need to apply to remove the condition on her green card.

USCIS sent the reminder letter because the agency is not aware that your daughter is now a US citizen. You and your husband probably never informed USCIS that your USC husband adopted her and she derived US citizenship from him based on the Child Citizenship Act. In addition, US passports are issued by the US State Department, so USCIS is not aware of this fact either.

To foreclose any confusion about your daughter later based on the incomplete information that USCIS has (a claim later that she is in the US illegally because she did not remove the condition on her green card), it might be best to reply to the letter by sending back your daughter's green card, a copy of the adoption decree, a copy of the biographical page of her adopted father's US passport, a copy of the biographical page of her passport, and a letter explaining that she was acquired US citizenship through her adopted father and she does not need to apply to remove the condition on her green card.

Aaron, thank you very much for your succinct reply. Yes, we did not informed the USCIS about this adoption. We thought, they would automatically update their file when we apply for her US passport and updated her SSN status.I guess we were wrong. Again thank you much.

Edited by roseTX

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Aaron, thank you very much for your succinct reply. Yes, we did not informed the USCIS about this adoption. We thought, they would automatically update their file when we apply for her US passport and updated her SSN status.I guess we were wrong. Again thank you much.

Do the follow-up by sending the documents to USCIS as recommended by Aaron. Many times the various agencies of the US govt do not talk to each other, therefore, there is no reasonable expectation that USCIS would know of actions taken by the Dept. of State

Read from the links below so you get the facts and peace of mind from the Dept. of State.

1. http://adoption.state.gov/us_visa_for_your_child/citizenship.php

2. http://adoption.state.gov/content/adoption_process/faqs/child_citizenship_act_of_2000.php

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Do the follow-up by sending the documents to USCIS as recommended by Aaron. Many times the various agencies of the US govt do not talk to each other, therefore, there is no reasonable expectation that USCIS would know of actions taken by the Dept. of State

Read from the links below so you get the facts and peace of mind from the Dept. of State.

1. http://adoption.state.gov/us_visa_for_your_child/citizenship.php

2. http://adoption.state.gov/content/adoption_process/faqs/child_citizenship_act_of_2000.php

Leatherneck - thanks allot for the link you have provided. They are very helpful and informative. Thanks.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Leatherneck - thanks allot for the link you have provided. They are very helpful and informative. Thanks.

You're welcome! Glad they helped.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.