Luv2travel

Oath notification

6 posts in this topic

Hello folks! I'm a newbie on the forum and I just have a simple question. Me and hubby are currently on the waiting game for our oath date. Do they usually notify you after your 5-year anniversary or they may notify you before that? I just want an idea. Our 5-year is in 8 days and according to the court schedule there is a naturalization ceremony the day before. :( The next one is in April (it's once a month only). Any input will be appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello folks! I'm a newbie on the forum and I just have a simple question. Me and hubby are currently on the waiting game for our oath date. Do they usually notify you after your 5-year anniversary or they may notify you before that? I just want an idea. Our 5-year is in 8 days and according to the court schedule there is a naturalization ceremony the day before. :( The next one is in April (it's once a month only). Any input will be appreciated!

You have to wait for the official letter. Even though there is one soon that does not mean there is opening in that ceremony. It does not hurt to call them and find out, but to be safe it is better to wait for the letter. I am still waiting for the oath date, I know there is one in the march but IO said it is full and it is probably going to be in April. So instead of worrying about it, I decided to wait for the letter and then make plans.

Filed: Other Timeline

If you mailed in your N-400 too early, this may cost you several months of additional wait. "Too" early doesn't mean within the allowed maximum time frame proceeding the 5th anniversary of your residency, too early means so early that you had an interview at a time when you were not even eligible to become a U.S. citizen. If that's the case, your file was put back on the bottom of a thick stack of files marked HOLD. Once in a while an I.O. will start on top and grab a few of those, check if they are eligible by then. For this very reason we often advise people NOT to send the N-400 out at the 90-day mark, but to wait an additional week or two, to avoid exactly this potential problem.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

If I knew the processing will be this quick, I would have waited a month before filing but I am doing just about what the majority is doing and the application was received 88 days before the 5-year mark.

Anyway, I am not asking why I don't have the oath letter yet. I just want to know from those who have been recently naturalized if most or all received their notification after their 5-year anniversary. Thank you.

If I knew the processing will be this quick, I would have waited a month before filing but I am doing just about what the majority is doing and the application was received 88 days before the 5-year mark.

Anyway, I am not asking why I don't have the oath letter yet. I just want to know from those who have been recently naturalized if most or all received their notification after their 5-year anniversary. Thank you.

Myself, like you, filed around the 88th mark. My interview was 1/27sh. I was only eligible on 2/14 (or 2/12 - I can't remember (my 3yr anniversary). But the 2/14 was a Sunday. The IO told me that they don't work on Sunday, so they will approve my case the next day 2/15. I will warn you that when you get your interview before your anniversary, your status will change to RFE. Don't panic, hang on tight. It's normal. You will not get any RFE.

Ok, so on 2/16, my status changed to RFE received. Of course I never received or sent anything. Then the next day, the status changed to in line for interview and shortly thereafter, it changed to interview notice sent. The statuses online are whacky cos I got an update of the interview notice but got the interview letter the next day, so by the time they updated, they had already mailed it to me. Actually, I think it's 2/16 that they mailed my interview letter.

To answer your question, yes, the notification will be only after you fulfill your 5-yr requirement.

Edited by Jupiter07

2001-2008 F1

08/2008 - AOS VSC

07/2009 - end of 8yrs of grad sch

02/14/09 - ID, GC approved

02/27/09 - CGC rcvd

11/16/2010 - 751 sent - CSC

03/29/2011 - 751 approved

11/15/11 - N400 Sent

11/18/11 - Notice Date

01/27/12 - Interview Date

03/15/12 - Oath Ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.