Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I already have an SSN

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So I lived in the U.S for 7 years when i was younger and things seemed to be a lot different back then, i was on an L-2 visa and when we arrived in the US i was just given a SSN. So i have one, and I'm a british citizen coming into the US hopefully next month on my K-1 so I'm wondering how the whole process differs in my situation? Especially as, as far as I can tell, I dont need to apply for a SSN as i already have a number and instead just need to 'correct' my SSN, both to my new visa status (my old SS card says 'not authorized to work' as L-2 visa holders aren't) and update to my new last name after marriage. So can i do that at the same time after I get married, or does it have to be seperate visits? Obviously, I can apply for AOS ASAP as I already have the number.

I dont really know if anyone has the answer as i'm sure the majority are applying for the first time for a SSN.

just wondering if anyone has had this experience?

thank anyone who can help!

K-1 timeline:

I-129F Sent : 2006-03-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-04-06

I-129F RFE(s) : 2006-06-23

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-07-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-08-21

NVC Received : 2006-09-09

NVC Left : 2006-09-15

Consulate Received : 2006-09-21

Packet 3 Received : 2006-09-28

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-10-02

Interview Date :2006-10-24

Visa Recieved: 2006-10-27

US Entry: 2006-10-31

Marriage: 2006-11-05

AOS Timeline:

I-485 sent: 2006-11-06

NOA Date: 2006-11-14

Touched: 2006-11-15

Touched: 2006-11-16

Touched: 2006-11-17

Bio Date: 2006-11-28

EAD Timeline:

I-765 sent: 2006-11-06

NOA Date: 2006-11-14

Touched: 2006-11-15

Bio Date: 2006-11-28

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

hi there

you can apply for AOS and EAD as soon as you get married within the 90 days stipulated...

the ssn number has nothing to do with changing of status..many get their ssn number before they get married or they get it after AOS approval...

good luck on your journey and your wedding


p.s. i took my marriage certificate into the office an got my ssn card..i have read some states wont change it till after AOS...i would get your fiance to ring his local social security office to find out what their guidelines are for your situation.

Edited by kath&rob


11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had an SSN for several years (L1, O1 visas). I'm told you only get one and it stays with you for life. I'm sure I have supplied the SSN # on at least one of my applications.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

Since you already have an SSN you only need to apply for a work authorized replacement card. You can either did it before you marry in the maiden name and then do the name change after you marry or just wait and do it all after you marry.

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Any document used to establish identity must meet the following criteria:

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the data on the form SS-5 (e.g., the person's name, as well as age, date of birth, or parents' names) and/or

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the applicant (e.g., physical description, photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document should have the person's name as well as information that can be compared to the SSN record, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or parents' names).

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application, taking into consideration the applicant's situation and exploring what evidence is available for the person.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes identity on the SSA Website at:


SSA will not accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

Take the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person at one of our offices.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:


Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:


Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, i.e. I-94, was issued, e.g., married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, i.e. SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14 day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14 day period and entered the 14 day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, suggest that you go back to the SSA office no more that once week with your documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”


RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

You can try calling the SSA Regional Office if you have waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845


Refer them to:


RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...