tarcin

reposting in this forum as suggested- name spelling issues!

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

So I know people have posted about similar things but I need a bit more detail. I'm engaged to a Turkish man and am working on the K1 paperwork.

We're kind of confused about what to do with his name in the US- it has a 'ğ' in it which is kind of like a silent letter and also a 'Ç' in it which is pronounced 'ch'

So a lot of people seem to just change the 'ğ' to a g, but ummm that completely ruins the pronunciation, and same with changing the 'Ç' to c. We've discussed therefore omitting the 'ğ' and using 'ch' to retain proper pronunciation (think transliteration).

Our biggest concern is that if we omit the 'ğ' and use 'ch' instead of 'Ç'(instead of just using 'g' and 'c') on the forms (of course using the native alphabet space to put his original name) that this will cause some kind of problem with the visa processing. But otherwise he'll end up in the US with a name that is effectively misspelled.

Will this cause a problem with visa processing?

we're not worried about uscis not being able to pronounce it, but that i guess the spelling on the forms will become his legal spelling and we want the spelling to be correct/pronounceable in the US

So I know people have posted about similar things but I need a bit more detail. I'm engaged to a Turkish man and am working on the K1 paperwork.

We're kind of confused about what to do with his name in the US- it has a 'ğ' in it which is kind of like a silent letter and also a 'Ç' in it which is pronounced 'ch'

So a lot of people seem to just change the 'ğ' to a g, but ummm that completely ruins the pronunciation, and same with changing the 'Ç' to c. We've discussed therefore omitting the 'ğ' and using 'ch' to retain proper pronunciation (think transliteration).

Our biggest concern is that if we omit the 'ğ' and use 'ch' instead of 'Ç'(instead of just using 'g' and 'c') on the forms (of course using the native alphabet space to put his original name) that this will cause some kind of problem with the visa processing. But otherwise he'll end up in the US with a name that is effectively misspelled.

we're not worried about uscis not being able to pronounce it, but that i guess the spelling on the forms will become his legal spelling and we want the spelling to be correct/pronounceable in the US

I would say it will definitely cause the problem if you change anything right now, because when he enters US port of entry his name has to be spelled in the papers, or his VISA, the same as it is in his passport. If he wants to change it later, he can do it when he applies for US citizenship. Don't change anything, because he wouldn't be the only one with that kind of "problem," pronouncing his name incorrect, or how I call it "American way." My fiance, now husband, had the same problem with our last name which ends "ic"(it is written like ć, which it is similar to your Ç)and should be pronounced like "ch," but instead they pronounce it like an "k." Don't change anything that is my advise to you.

Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

my last name( my husband) is evelyn ozgul with 2 punctuation in the O and U. I dont use the punctuations. Therefore you can spell his name the way is written in turkish without it.

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Turkish is kind of easy to change. Just omit the extra "accents" and you will be fine. Don't worry about how USCIS will pronounce it. They're there to get him through the immigration process nothing else.

Employment based case:

Pending since 08/2006 ~ WITHDRAWN on 12/01/11, forwarded to local office on 01/10/12

Family based case:

05/31/11 ~ I-130 & I-485 & I-765 & I-131 Packet received by NBC

06/09/11 ~ NOA received from NBC

06/17/11 ~ Biometrics letter received for appt date 7/11 (ASC: Woodside, NY)

06/20/11 ~ Walk-in biometrics done

09/13/11 ~ EAD & AP Approved

11/09/11 ~ Interview

12/28/11 ~ I-130 approved

01/26/12 ~ I-485 service request opened

01/30/12 ~ Contacted senator

02/07/12 ~ I-485 approval email

02/10/12 ~ CPO email

02/11/12 ~ Welcome notice received

02/13/12 ~ Card mailed

02/16/12 ~ Card received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

basicly change:

ı to i

ç to c

ğ to g

ş to s

ö to o

ü to u

My name has lots of Turkish letters but we just changed them as I just wrote above. Still got approved. Plus I have been issued several US visas and I was still be able to enter the country.

Hope that helped. Good luck with filing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.