bila

Petition for Daughter

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline
We are both saying the same thing in different ways. Bottom line, my son has one USC parent (aka. myself). Therefore he will arrive with a valid visa and will apply for citizenship upon arrival, if he has not yet reached 18 years. YES?

You are correct but also incorrect.

Your son will have claim to citizenship after he is admitted to the US on a valid immigrant visa since he has a US Citizen parent and is not yet 18 years old.

FWIW, save the cost of "applying" for citizenship, he just needs to claim it by applying for a US Passport, his proof of citizenship would be your naturalization certificate and his birth certificate listing you as mother.

Your statements are incomplete, when dealing with things like this we need to be complete and as specific as possible.

I don't know how else I can explain it, this is the requirement:

1. Entry into the US on a Valid Immigrant Visa.

2. Be the child (either natural or adopted) of a US Citizen.

3. Be under 18 years of age.

The way you worded it is:

2. The child was petitioned by a US Citizen.

Please note the difference in #2, granted for your case #2 in both lists is the same person and therefore true but if I read it literally that would mean that my boys have a claim to US Citizenship (which they do not) or that the scenario I listed in my previous reply (LPR was petitioner) couldn't have a claim to US Citizenship which also isn't true.

While the difference may be very small to you it is a very important difference.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Your son will have claim to citizenship after he is admitted to the US on a valid immigrant visa since he has a US Citizen parent and is not yet 18 years old.

FWIW, save the cost of "applying" for citizenship, he just needs to claim it by applying for a US Passport, his proof of citizenship would be your naturalization certificate and his birth certificate listing you as mother.

Your statements are incomplete, when dealing with things like this we need to be complete and as specific as possible.

Please note the difference in #2, granted for your case #2 in both lists is the same person and therefore true but if I read it literally that would mean that my boys have a claim to US Citizenship (which they do not) or that the scenario I listed in my previous reply (LPR was petitioner) couldn't have a claim to US Citizenship which also isn't true.

While the difference may be very small to you it is a very important difference.

But how does he prove that he is here legally. He cannot just claim Citizenship by my simply showing that I am a USC and that I am his mother on a birth certificate. That is not enough and it has never been. He has to have been admitted legally. He cannot do that without having a visa or g-card.

Edited by Gigli2008

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Disregard my post above, I tried to edit it and wouldn't allow it. I was trying to apply the same persnickety-ness that you picked on me for.... for your making an incorrect statement that:-

"FWIW, save the cost of "applying" for citizenship, he just needs to claim it by applying for a US Passport, his proof of citizenship would be your naturalization certificate and his birth certificate listing you as mother."

Which is not a true statement because one might be here illegally. HOWEVER, I do know from reading your posts that it was just a technicallity of omission in that particular statement by reading the rest of your post.

My point is that it is clear that my intention was to say that "As a USC, my son, upon arrival can claim citizenship". Period. Your disecting my post was not making my point any clearer than I already had.

Edited by Gigli2008

Filed: Country:
Timeline
I was trying to apply the same persnickety-ness that you picked on me for

My point is that it is clear that my intention was to say that "As a USC, my son, upon arrival can claim citizenship". Period. Your disecting my post was not making my point any clearer than I already had.

I'm not trying to "pick on you".

Others will come and read this thread long after both of us have forgotten about it, that's why the information needs to be as specific and accurate as humanly possible. I think things have been stated very clearly regarding the requirements and we can both leave this thread to future generations of VJers to find both amusement and information...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.