JNet

register marriage in usa

11 posts in this topic

Ok guys, we will think about filling out the paperwork ourselves. Thanks for your opinions. Does anyone here know about registering your marriage in the USA after marrying in the Philippines? We have a copy of our marriage contract but my wife has to wait at least a month or two for the NSO copy. Can I just use a photocopy of this contract and take it to the appropriate govt. office in my city? Salamat

Yes, a photo copy will do till you get the official marriage certificate from NSO. The US recognizes marriages in the Philippines so I'm not sure where you're registering or why. See if they'll make a couple official copies while they're at it. My work only wanted a copy for insurance reasons. Congratulations!!! I pray for your continued happiness!

Bob

Edited by calibob
  • Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you want your marriage certificate recorded for your own reasons you can take it to the county recorders office and they will record it. I know that can be done here, its sort of nice if you ever loose your copy you can get a certified copy from the country recorder.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

Ok guys, we will think about filling out the paperwork ourselves. Thanks for your opinions. Does anyone here know about registering your marriage in the USA after marrying in the Philippines? We have a copy of our marriage contract but my wife has to wait at least a month or two for the NSO copy. Can I just use a photocopy of this contract and take it to the appropriate govt. office in my city? Salamat

I am confused. Why are you talking about marrying in the Philippines when you are K-1? If the NSO says you are married, you don't qualify for a fiancee visa.

Timeline

Maybe they are just confused its a spousal visa and not a K1

Let's hope they are just confused and not trying to do a K-1 and already married

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

We are doing a CR-1, so no confusion. I registered in '08 while filing for a K-1. My first marriage did not work out. Anyway, if I understand correctly, some of you are saying that I do not need to register our marriage in the US. I just assumed that I had to do that. You know how the govt. works, fees generate money and figured they would require our marriage to be registered there too. Thanks to all!

Filed: Timeline

We are doing a CR-1, so no confusion. I registered in '08 while filing for a K-1. My first marriage did not work out. Anyway, if I understand correctly, some of you are saying that I do not need to register our marriage in the US. I just assumed that I had to do that. You know how the govt. works, fees generate money and figured they would require our marriage to be registered there too. Thanks to all!

To end the confusion, go here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members and change your Immigration Status.

Timeline

You may be thinking of the AOS in '08, which for sure generates fees.... :lol:

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

We never registered our marriage in USA. But yesterday we received notice in the mail from USCIS my wife's application for removing conditions for her 10-year greencard has been approved. Shortly we will receive the 10-year card now. Our son is now 19 months old.

...Just using this opportunity to bring things up to date since I dont get on here much anymore. smile.gif Life is busy.

Edited by Brijo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.