Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Quickest way to travel

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Australia

So, me and the recently added Mrs seem to have gotten ourselves in a bit of a bind. I've looked around and most of the information seems to revolve around bringing someone into the US, rather than someone who is already here.

I'm a student who is in the US on an F-1 visa from Australia. This is my 5th year here, I met my wife a couple of years ago and we recently (September) got married. I had originally been planning on graduating in August and leaving the US for an academic job in Europe. Well things changed, I didn't finish in time and the job ended up not being available yet any way. My visa expired in May, but this is not a problem as I am allowed to stay for as long as I am studying. I could not get it renewed, because we were planning a wedding and you only use a student visa if your only intent is to study. By marrying I was displaying intent to immigrate and that was no good. Our advice at the time was to just get married and not worry about anything, because we were all legal and planning on leaving.

Well, we are now staying for at least 10 months. But I really should go overseas for conferences and such. So I would like to be able to travel as soon as possible, hopefully by January,

My understanding is that we would have to file an I-130 with a bunch of other forms and wait. We would also have to file for a work authorization (or is there a special study authorization?) which is some other bunch of forms. Then apply for advanced parole to be able to travel.

I am starting to get the feeling that it is just not going to happen, and it will take a long while. It also looks like being very expensive, we don't have much money (I'm a graduate student and she doesn't earn much). We also don't know if it is worth starting this process -- I might end up in a foreign country soon -- if we aren't going to finish it.

I guess I should stop rambling and ask some questions.

How long are we looking at before I can travel, weeks, months, years?

Is there any other way I can return, apart from immigrating?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

Oh BOY! Out of status! As soon as you leave the country you wont be able to return depending on how long you have been out of status can be 5 to 10 years.

Consult an immigration attorney and a good one at that, doing AOS and wait in the country is the only option.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...