Miranda&James

Weighing yourself

6 posts in this topic

Ok, I've recently been trying to lose weight and have thusfar been pretty succesful in my attempts, maybe even more succesful than I should be. When I told James how much I lost he didn't think it was right (too much weight in too short a time period). I kind of thought the same thing but hey, it's exciting to see the scale go down a bunch. My question is this, do you guys think it's possible for a scale to show a number that is too low? I weigh myself in the morning (I read this was best) without clothes to interfere. I know that the scale could be too high because of food in your stomach, etc, but it doesn't seem likely that it's too low unless maybe you're severely dehydrated and will balloon up the second you have some water (which I don't think I am). What do you guys think?

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

In the beginning of a diet you tend lost alot of water weight. That could be why the scale is showing such a high loss. If you resume your normal eating habits the water weight will come right back on.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Yes, it is possible for a scale to show too low--there are several factors affecting the accuracy.

One of these is the condition of the spring (the one under where you stand on the scale). You need to check the scale with something of absolutely-known weight (such as three unopened bags of rice).

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

As long as you keep weighing at the same time, in the same conditions, it's pretty likely that your scale will show an accurate weight loss, but not neccesarily an accurate weight. I focus on the amount I am losing/have lost, rather than what I actually weigh. And even more important I focus on what size I am. Measurements are far more accurate than any scale to track your progress, especially if you exercise.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
In the beginning of a diet you tend lost alot of water weight. That could be why the scale is showing such a high loss. If you resume your normal eating habits the water weight will come right back on.

Yup, that's right.

If you have successfully begun a calorie deficit diet (burning more calories than you consume) your body will first use calories that are stored in your muscles before going to the calories in the fat. Those calories are in solution, so when they're used you lose water weight and thus you quickly lose 4-5 pounds the first week. That's how all those "lose 5 pounds in just one week" diets work: they basically dehydrate you, but as soon as you go back on your normal diet it all comes back.

Record your weight each day and look for cheanges week by week. That is the true measure of whether you're gaining, losing, or staying the same.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

As long as you keep weighing at the same time, in the same conditions, it's pretty likely that your scale will show an accurate weight loss, but not neccesarily an accurate weight. I focus on the amount I am losing/have lost, rather than what I actually weigh. And even more important I focus on what size I am. Measurements are far more accurate than any scale to track your progress, especially if you exercise.

Yeah, I used the same scale at the same time of day. I know the actual weight might not be that important so I too focus on the amount lost, not the number.

About the water weight thing, I did lapse for a week or so and ate way too many bad foods, but I didn't really gain much weight back at all (maybe a couple of pounds) and those have disappeared pretty quickly. I know in the long run things will even out though, I was just curious! :)

Oh, and I've been doing this for a couple months, so it's not like I'm only in the first week and so far a steady weight loss has happened, just more than I'd expect! I do know though that the heavier you are the more you will lose at first when you reduce calories since your BMR is higher with higher weights.

Edited by JamesMiranda

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!