meagan

Affidavit of Support

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

my finace is getting ready to go for a interview and im confused as one palce i have read he does not need this for his interview in london since we are not married yet and we can fill this out and do it when he comes here after we marry then i read on here about everyone filling them out and haveing them with them for there interview so im now confused does he need this sent in with his papers before his interview or can we do this step after he comes here and we marry as it makes more since to me to do this after we marry since why would i be suporting someone that im not yet married too can someone please help me let me know thank you

my finace is getting ready to go for a interview and im confused as one palce i have read he does not need this for his interview in london since we are not married yet and we can fill this out and do it when he comes here after we marry then i read on here about everyone filling them out and haveing them with them for there interview so im now confused does he need this sent in with his papers before his interview or can we do this step after he comes here and we marry as it makes more since to me to do this after we marry since why would i be suporting someone that im not yet married too can someone please help me let me know thank you

sorry this says im in london im not sure wyy im not in london im in the us my soon to be husband is in london and filing for him to come to us

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is needed to prove that the US citizen can support the family. If you cannot support the family then they wont issue a visa unless you have someone who can co-sponsor.

It is needed at the interview and at the AOS stage after marriage.

Basically, they are not going to let people into america unless they know they will not become a bum and live off the government.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

From what I've read, London sometimes allows K-1 applicants to self-sponsor. Even so, it's good for your fiance to have the I-134s and supporting documents from you and any joint sponsor in case the consular officer decides to ask (which is entirely within their discretion to do). If they do ask and he doesn't have them, it'll mean a delay in visa issuance.

Whether or not London lets him self-sponsor at the visa application stage, you WILL have to file an I-864 AOS after he comes here, you guys get married, and he applies for adjustment of status. If you don't have the income to meet the requirements, you'll need a joint sponsor.

As for your question "why would i be suporting someone that im not yet married too," married or not you're petitioning for him to receive immigration benefits for the purpose of marrying you. Under US immigration law, it's therefore your responsibility to ensure that he doesn't become a public charge once he gets here.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Timeline

It is needed to prove that the US citizen can support the family. If you cannot support the family then they wont issue a visa unless you have someone who can co-sponsor.

It is needed at the interview and at the AOS stage after marriage.

Basically, they are not going to let people into america unless they know they will not become a bum and live off the government.

Timeline

ok and yes i do relize all of this and we had pland on doing all the paper work and co sponsor sutff after he came here nad we married as i have to do this once before when i married but he was allready here legley but was in collage at the time things did not work out bewteen us and he went back home sponcer ship was then voided as he did leave without prior permision and was not able to re neter for 10 years so i was under the impresion we would not have to do this sponsor step until he was here and we were married as it did say when we were fiiling out his interview papers in one part he did need it but then in another part of it he fell under some guide lines where he did not need it till he was here and after we married and filed the adjustment of staatus and it would just be eaiser for us to it when he comes here as he would have to meet the co sponsor in person before they could even sponsor him so that would mean haveing the co sponor flying to london meeting him getting all evidence and allwich would cost alot of money doing it that way

Timeline

Your profile shows F-1 visa - but you are asking a question about a K-1 visa. If you are persueing a K-1 visa please correct this.

Your finance must have an i-134 and supporting documents when he goes for the interview, you will be asked for it. This can be from you or from a co-sponsor.

Please read the following list of required documents for the interview (London Embassy): http://london.usemba...avit_of_support

After you are married and are adjusting status then you also complete an I-864.

Your co-sponsor can complete the I-134 and send it to you/your finance without having to meet him, however it is important the you and your co-sponsor understand the long term implications of sponsoring your fiance.

It may help if you read the Visajourney K-1 visa guides. Select the Guides option at the top of the home page, you will see the K-1 guides listed.

Edited by jayne d

Timeline

ok and yes i do relize all of this and we had pland on doing all the paper work and co sponsor sutff after he came here nad we married as i have to do this once before when i married but he was allready here legley but was in collage at the time things did not work out bewteen us and he went back home sponcer ship was then voided as he did leave without prior permision and was not able to re neter for 10 years so i was under the impresion we would not have to do this sponsor step until he was here and we were married as it did say when we were fiiling out his interview papers in one part he did need it but then in another part of it he fell under some guide lines where he did not need it till he was here and after we married and filed the adjustment of staatus and it would just be eaiser for us to it when he comes here as he would have to meet the co sponsor in person before they could even sponsor him so that would mean haveing the co sponor flying to london meeting him getting all evidence and allwich would cost alot of money doing it that way

aaaaaaaand take a breath! it's a lot easier to understand your problem if you use grammar...

K1

10 Jan 2012: I-129F package sent

14 June 2012: NOA2

11 July 2012: Medical

30 July 2012: Interview at London Embassy (Approved!)

13 Aug 2012: Visa Received

1 Sept 2012: POE (Atlanta)

15 Sept 2012: Wedding in New Orleans

AOS

16 Nov 2012: NOA Receipt Date

20 Dec 2012: Biometrics Appointment

16 Jan 2013: EAD & AP approved

25 Jan 2013: EAD & AP Card received

it's a lot easier to understand your problem if you use grammar...

OUCH! @ Kitty. Not everybody has the same intelligence level, education, or even speaks English as their first language. It doesn't mean they can't do their best to seek help.

Meagan-- there are two times you (the US citizen) will provide an Affidavit of Support for your fiance

1. For his interview in London so he will be granted a K1 Fiance Visa. The I-134 is done by you (or another willing sponsor) and the form and proofs of income are mailed to him so he has them to take to the interview. Nobody has to come to London. It's done by mail. If you don't make enough income, then you have to line up somebody who does. If nobody wants to do that because they have never met him, then you have a problem to solve before he will be granted a visa.
  2. When he applies for a greencard you do a second Affidavit of Support . That is form I-864 That happens after he arrives with the visa and after you marry. He needs the greencard to stay and live in the US.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

OUCH! @ Kitty. Not everybody has the same intelligence level, education, or even speaks English as their first language. It doesn't mean they can't do their best to seek help.

Meagan-- there are two times you (the US citizen) will provide an Affidavit of Support for your fiance

1. For his interview in London so he will be granted a K1 Fiance Visa. The I-134 is done by you (or another willing sponsor) and the form and proofs of income are mailed to him so he has them to take to the interview. Nobody has to come to London. It's done by mail. If you don't make enough income, then you have to line up somebody who does. If nobody wants to do that because they have never met him, then you have a problem to solve before he will be granted a visa.
  2. When he applies for a greencard you do a second Affidavit of Support . That is form I-864 That happens after he arrives with the visa and after you marry. He needs the greencard to stay and live in the US.

thank you for clearing this up for me i was told by someone else that i would not need to file this till he came here i do see now the one u are talking about and then re file again when he is here i do have a co sponsor that is willing and will get on this today to get the papers out to him before he turns them in for his interview again thank you and sorry yes this is for a k-1 not a f-1 i thought i had clicked on the k-1 at the time and i have tried to change it but it is not letting me

Timeline

sorry

i wasn't being bitchy, people on here get so upset about posts all in capitals, and i find it hard to read posts without full stops, my head starts to spin! i don't think that reflects highly on my intelligence, don't worry ;)

but i don't think it s completely out of line to suggest people break down their points, to help everyone understand it better. it was meant perfectly helpfully! sorry if it upset anyone.... *red face*

K1

10 Jan 2012: I-129F package sent

14 June 2012: NOA2

11 July 2012: Medical

30 July 2012: Interview at London Embassy (Approved!)

13 Aug 2012: Visa Received

1 Sept 2012: POE (Atlanta)

15 Sept 2012: Wedding in New Orleans

AOS

16 Nov 2012: NOA Receipt Date

20 Dec 2012: Biometrics Appointment

16 Jan 2013: EAD & AP approved

25 Jan 2013: EAD & AP Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.