32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Dear Fellow VJers,

If my questions have already been answered before, i do apologize but please i need help. My husband and i are starting the AOS paper works and like the K1, i have tons of questions, I hope you do forgive me.

Hubby and I just got married last January 23 here in Orange County, Orlando, FL. In our marriage certificate, my name that appears there is still my maiden name.

Here we go. yes.gif

1. When filling out ALL AOS forms, I would like to use my husband's last name as my married name. That is allowed, right?

2. The current filing fee for AOS, EAD and AP is $1070, correct? If it's not, pls do advise.

3. I hold an 11-year-old SS card and can only change it under my husband's name after receiving GC. Is this correct? (Went to SSA this morning and wanted Name Change under hubby's last name but this is what the lady there told us. So we came back home with my old SS card).

Anybody here who knows the answer/s, pls share your knowledge. We would really appreciate any help we can get. Thanks a lot in advance!

Chie M.

Luke 1:37 - "For with GOD nothing shall be impossible."

AOS Journey

• 02.25.2012 - AOS, EAD, AP sent
  • 02.29.2012 - received text/email receipt notices
  • 03.22.2012 - transferred to CSC
  • 04.19.2012 - biometrics appointment
  • 05.02.2012 - EAD & AP approved
  • 10.19.2012 - AOS approved

K1 Journey

• 05.2000 - met in class - Orlando, FL
  • 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 11.2011 - K1 visa received
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1. When filling out the forms you use which ever name you want (married or maiden). The name you use is what will appear on your green card. So yes, you can use your married name :)

2. Yepp, that's the fee $1070

I'm not sure about your third question, sorry

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Dear Fellow VJers,

If my questions have already been answered before, i do apologize but please i need help. My husband and i are starting the AOS paper works and like the K1, i have tons of questions, I hope you do forgive me.

Hubby and I just got married last January 23 here in Orange County, Orlando, FL. In our marriage certificate, my name that appears there is still my maiden name.

Here we go. yes.gif

1. When filling out ALL AOS forms, I would like to use my husband's last name as my married name. That is allowed, right?

2. The current filing fee for AOS, EAD and AP is $1070, correct? If it's not, pls do advise.

3. I hold an 11-year-old SS card and can only change it under my husband's name after receiving GC. Is this correct? (Went to SSA this morning and wanted Name Change under hubby's last name but this is what the lady there told us. So we came back home with my old SS card).

Anybody here who knows the answer/s, pls share your knowledge. We would really appreciate any help we can get. Thanks a lot in advance!

Chie M.

What is an "11-year-old SS card?"

With regards to #3:

You will be able to get a SSN card in your married name once you have your GC.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

I assumed that by '11 year old' SS card she meant that she has had the SS card for the past 11 years

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

event.png

Timeline

Thanks a lot! Yes, i've had the ss card for almost 12 years now and i thought after getting married i could have it changed to my married name and the lady said i can't. have to do all immigration stuffs first, when done, come back and present proof/s, then they'll do the Name Change.

Thanks again! yes.gif I do appreciate it.

AOS Journey

K1 Journey

• 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

Timeline

What is an "11-year-old SS card?"

With regards to #3:

You will be able to get a SSN card in your married name once you have your GC.

Wow, about 1 week after our marriage, we went to the SSN office and had no problems getting my wife's SSN card changed into her married name. This was well before we applied for AOS/GC.

Has anyone confirmed (seen in writing) not allowing a K visa immigrant an updated SSN card until after approved GC?

Maybe we just slipped thru the crack and got lucky with our SSN officer not knowing the procedures.

YOU-alone - You will be able to change your SS card to your new name once you get your EAD. You will get a new one pretty fast since you already have a number.

Gary9891 - You can also get a new card with the new name before you apply for AOS if you have plenty of time (at least 2 weeks) left on your I-94 that you received when you entered on a K-1, perhaps this is what happened with your wife?

Timeline

The SS office's can be pretty random, some of them know what they are doing and who's allowed what while others don't. That's why so many people have different experiences with them. If you don't think your local office told you the right thing you can always email the SSA and double check. There's been a lot of people denied cards/name changes when they shouldn't have been and they've had success with emailing the SSA. No harm in trying if you think they told you the wrong thing.

event.png

Timeline

I assumed that by '11 year old' SS card she meant that she has had the SS card for the past 11 years

Not likely with statements like...

That's why I asked, "What is an 11-year-old SS card?" I'm sure she just made a mistake. I often have many thoughts and type something entirely different than I intended.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

Timeline

Thanks a lot! Yes, i've had the ss card for almost 12 years now and i thought after getting married i could have it changed to my married name and the lady said i can't. have to do all immigration stuffs first, when done, come back and present proof/s, then they'll do the Name Change.

Thanks again! yes.gif I do appreciate it.

Ok, now I understand why you've had that SSN for as long as you have, now I get it.

K-1, AOS, and 11-year old SSN threw me off a bit...until I checked your timeline.

I stand corrected.

Good luck!

Timeline

Wow, about 1 week after our marriage, we went to the SSN office and had no problems getting my wife's SSN card changed into her married name. This was well before we applied for AOS/GC.

Has anyone confirmed (seen in writing) not allowing a K visa immigrant an updated SSN card until after approved GC?

Maybe we just slipped thru the crack and got lucky with our SSN officer not knowing the procedures.

The various SS offices can be all over the map with regards to SS card issuance. Some will change the beneficiaries name with EAD and others will want the GC prior to doing so.

Timeline

Thanks a lot. I will do this. I think she was wrong in not changing my ss card to my married name. As soon as i get a reply, i'll update you all. Thanks again!

The SS office's can be pretty random, some of them know what they are doing and who's allowed what while others don't. That's why so many people have different experiences with them. If you don't think your local office told you the right thing you can always email the SSA and double check. There's been a lot of people denied cards/name changes when they shouldn't have been and they've had success with emailing the SSA. No harm in trying if you think they told you the wrong thing.

AOS Journey

K1 Journey

• 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

Timeline

Which SSA office did you go to? May I know, pls? We went to Gatlin office where Orlando residents/applicants applications/inquiries are being processed. Thanks again!

AOS Journey

K1 Journey

• 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

Timeline

Regarding the photo requirement for AOS, can i use same photo i submitted when i did the K1 (i have at least 10 more extra copies)? I believe both k1 and AOS are using same photo measurement/specs? If it's possible, i would like to use what i already have to save time and money.

When doing this AOS, do i need to submit 6 pcs photo for all (AOS, EAD and AP)? I've been reading step-by-step guidelines in doing this right and all of them are mentioning about 2 photos EACH application. If this is wrong, pls do tell. Thanks a lot!

I do apologize if i'm asking a lot of questions. But i hope you do understand and bear with me, pls.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Chie M.

AOS Journey

K1 Journey

• 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

Timeline

How long ago were those photos taken? I got new ones taken. I had left over from K-1 too but i didn't want to risk the photos being too old.

I sent separate photos for each of my applications to be safe. Some people have only sent the two photos and been fine, some have been RFE'd so may as well do photos for each application to be safe.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.