w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Dallas area teacher suspended after a student sees nude art in a museum

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ms. McGee, 51, a popular art teacher with 28 years in the classroom, is out of a job after leading her fifth-grade classes last April through the Dallas Museum of Art. One of her students saw nude art in the museum, and after the child’s parent complained, the teacher was suspended.

[...]

She ... received a memorandum in which the principal, Nancy Lawson, wrote: “During a study trip that you planned for fifth graders, students were exposed to nude statues and other nude art representations.”

[...]

A representative of the Texas State Teachers Association, which has sprung to Ms. McGee’s defense, calls it “the first ‘nudity-in-a-museum case’ we have seen.”

“Teachers get in trouble for a variety of reasons,” said the association’s general counsel, Kevin Lungwitz, “but I’ve never heard of a teacher getting in trouble for taking her kiddoes on an approved trip to an art museum.”

[...]

Another parent, Maijken Kozcara, said Ms. McGee had taught her children effectively.

“I thought she was the greatest,” Ms. Kozcara said. But “knowing Texas, the way things work here” she said of the teacher’s suspension, “I wasn’t really amazed. I was like, ‘Yeah, right.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/30/educatio...agewanted=print

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Art is not pr0n... and pr0n is not art. Their case is baseless and stinks of cowtowing to avoid a potential law suite brought about by an overzealous and overprotective parent.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

omg you gotta love the ####### who get offended by nude art.. I bet the kid wasn't offended, but the parent was.. so is US gonna ban the maja desnuda, the bathers of Avignon, et al nude works?? what a stupid suspension.. and more stupid the school board who decided to fire the teacher.. #######.. IS ART!!!! for fukcs sake..

ahh, zealotry in America, gotta love it..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Ridiculous...utterly ridiculous. I came up through the Dallas public school system and did the same field trips as a child and I don't remember anyone complaining.

Perhaps if the parents in question had ever visited the DMA themselves, they'd have known about the 'nude artwork' and could have declined to allow their child to join the field trip. I bet they were too busy shopping at Wal-Mart or stuffing their faces at McDonald's to ever visit the art museum. Nimrods.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Pitiful. Hopefully, this is just a one-time thing, never heard of this before. Gupt, is there a way to find a pic of one of these statues?

I've been to the DMA many times; I never saw anything particularly controversial there.

Timeline
Pitiful. Hopefully, this is just a one-time thing, never heard of this before. Gupt, is there a way to find a pic of one of these statues?

Statue of David had a "skirt" wrapped around it at one time. Venus Demilo (SP??) also got a covering there for a while back in the days. look at those.

been to the DMA some yrs back.. loved the exibit they had of Catherine the Greats' pieces... although I don't think the bed was included :P;) for obvious reasons.

Timeline

Statue of David had a "skirt" wrapped around it at one time. Venus Demilo (SP??) also got a covering there for a while back in the days. look at those.

been to the DMA some yrs back.. loved the exibit they had of Catherine the Greats' pieces... although I don't think the bed was included :P;) for obvious reasons.

lol 4real? they wrapped a skirt around? thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard. lol.. ah only in Amerika

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Timeline

lol 4real? they wrapped a skirt around? thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard. lol.. ah only in Amerika

Some actually had a short wall built so you could only view the upper torso.. just so the public wouldnt be offended by the wee-wee :P

Timeline

Some actually had a short wall built so you could only view the upper torso.. just so the public wouldnt be offended by the wee-wee :P

lol, offended? why. he's a short man, his thumb is longer than his schlong..

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Timeline

lol, offended? why. he's a short man, his thumb is longer than his schlong..

mainly because he was naked.. which is what the article is about. ppl get offended because the WANT to get offended, not because of any other provocation.

Timeline

agree 100%

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Filed: Other Timeline

oh fer cryin' out loud!

Yanno, if the parent's signed the consent form to allow their child to go to the museum, they have no recourse to complain about the kid seeing nude statues! Did they think they're going there to look at dogs playing poker?

sheesh :wacko:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

oh fer cryin' out loud!

Yanno, if the parent's signed the consent form to allow their child to go to the museum, they have no recourse to complain about the kid seeing nude statues! Did they think they're going there to look at dogs playing poker?

sheesh :wacko:

ROFL, that's probably what some rednecks think passes for art! :lol::lol::lol: