Anna C.

Why is there an AP?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Anna,

You continue to miss the operative issue. You have no right to reside in the USA at this point in time. You have applied to be given that right, but until your application is approved you cannot just enter the country whenever it suits your fancy.

Yodrak

Thanks for your answers. I came on a visa, but I don't see any point of not being allowed to travel for short amounts of time, e.g. a two week visit at home. I mean we all sit at home waiting for EAD and/or AOS and it is waisted time, I'd love to see my family for a week or so since we haven't seen each other in 8 months.

Thanks, Anna.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
But, the best discussions (folinskyinla does not post to VJ) will be found on google/groups at alt.visa.us.marriage-based.
Thank you, I found this very interesting discussion.. I don't think that there is any question that any person using any type of "parole" (including Advance Parole) is not deemed "admitted" into the US within the meaning of the federal regulations (I specifically mention it in one of my posts above).

The reason that it is important is because "admitted" aliens have a number of legal rights that those who are merely "paroled" but not "admitted" do not. The way I read case law, however, is that those aliens who were initially "admitted" into the US within the meaning of the law and who subsequently used AP (as opposed to any other types of parole) to leave and reenter should have the same exact legal rights as if they never left the country using AP. This is because 8 U.S.C. 1255a(a)(3)(B ) provides that those aliens using AP for "brief, casual, and innocent absences from the United States" are NOT deemed to have violated the "continuous legal presence" requirement of the AOS statute partly because an AP entry is not considered an "admission." Consequently, aliens who have left and reentered the country on AP should be able to use their previous official "admission" into the US to give them legal rights that all other "admittees" have under the law.

As always, please note that this post as well as my all other posts on this board are only intended to express my own opinion on this subject and are not to be used as any type of advice or guidance to others. Although I am a lawyer and have reviewed a number of cases and regulations on this issue, I am not an immigration lawyer and cannot be sure that my understanding of this matter is complete. Consequently, people are strongly advised not to rely on my or any other posts or information found on the Internet without double and triple checking the accuracy and completeness of the information and, when warranted, consulting a qualified immigration attorney.

8/11/06 Married.

8/15/06 Received marriage certificate.

8/16/06 Overnighted AOS and AP applications (no EAD, since I won't need it until next year).

8/17/06 Delivered at 12:44pm (Chicago lockbox).

8/24/06 All 3 checks cashed.

8/26/06 Received NOA. I485, I130 and I131 are online.

8/29/06 All 3 touched.

9/2/06 Biometrics appointment received.

9/5/06 I130 and I131 touched.

9/8/06 Biometrics completed.

9/8/06 I485 touched.

9/11/06 I485 touched.

11/14/06 AP approved.

11/15/06 AP touched.

11/20/06 AP received.

12/21/06 Confirmed that the name check has cleared.

1/5/07 I-765 (EAD) mailed out by certified mail (no rush).

1/10/07 I-765 delivered at 9:46am (Chicago lockbox).

1/16/07 Received NOA1 for I-765 (dated 1/10/07).

1/16/07 I-765 touched.

1/18/07 I-765 touched.

1/20/07 Biometrics scheduled for 1/31/07 (which I already completed on 9/8/06).

1/20/07 Interview scheduled for 3/20/07 at 8:00am.

1/20/07 I-765 touched (they're open on Saturdays?).

1/31/07 Biometrics for I-765 completed.

1/31/07 I-765 touched.

2/1/07 I-765 touched.

2/28/07 I-485 and I-130 touched.

3/1/07 I-485 and I-130 touched.

3/20/07 AOS interview. Approved.

3/22/07 I-485, I-130, I-765 touched.

3/22/07 CRIS email: approval notice sent.

3/23/07 I-485, I-130, I-765 touched.

3/24/07 I-485, I-130, I-765 touched (a touch on Saturday?).

3/26/07 CRIS email: card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks for your answers, but it still makes no sense to me. I'd like so much to visit my family, and AP takes way too long.

I just don't know any European country that has a similar regulation.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

I loathe the wording of the whole thing..."Advanced Parole". I work in the Criminal Justice System, and these words in my world hold a WHOLE new meaning! hehe

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I loathe the wording of the whole thing..."Advanced Parole". I work in the Criminal Justice System, and these words in my world hold a WHOLE new meaning! hehe

Carla (F)

I never thought of it like that :) Thanks for the laugh! :thumbs:

8/11/06 Married.

8/15/06 Received marriage certificate.

8/16/06 Overnighted AOS and AP applications (no EAD, since I won't need it until next year).

8/17/06 Delivered at 12:44pm (Chicago lockbox).

8/24/06 All 3 checks cashed.

8/26/06 Received NOA. I485, I130 and I131 are online.

8/29/06 All 3 touched.

9/2/06 Biometrics appointment received.

9/5/06 I130 and I131 touched.

9/8/06 Biometrics completed.

9/8/06 I485 touched.

9/11/06 I485 touched.

11/14/06 AP approved.

11/15/06 AP touched.

11/20/06 AP received.

12/21/06 Confirmed that the name check has cleared.

1/5/07 I-765 (EAD) mailed out by certified mail (no rush).

1/10/07 I-765 delivered at 9:46am (Chicago lockbox).

1/16/07 Received NOA1 for I-765 (dated 1/10/07).

1/16/07 I-765 touched.

1/18/07 I-765 touched.

1/20/07 Biometrics scheduled for 1/31/07 (which I already completed on 9/8/06).

1/20/07 Interview scheduled for 3/20/07 at 8:00am.

1/20/07 I-765 touched (they're open on Saturdays?).

1/31/07 Biometrics for I-765 completed.

1/31/07 I-765 touched.

2/1/07 I-765 touched.

2/28/07 I-485 and I-130 touched.

3/1/07 I-485 and I-130 touched.

3/20/07 AOS interview. Approved.

3/22/07 I-485, I-130, I-765 touched.

3/22/07 CRIS email: approval notice sent.

3/23/07 I-485, I-130, I-765 touched.

3/24/07 I-485, I-130, I-765 touched (a touch on Saturday?).

3/26/07 CRIS email: card production ordered.

Carla,

It's not a new meaning at all - it's very much the same meaning.

- Make a mis-step and a paroled convict can be sent back to prison with less 'due process' than a 'normal' person.

- Make a mis-step and a paroled alien can be sent back to their home country with less 'due process' than an alien who has been admitted.

advance (no 'd') parole means exactly what the words say

Yodrak

Carla

Edited by Yodrak

Hi,

Does anybody know the reason of AP, why it was implemented? My husband and I just don't see the reason behind it. What would it hurt if spouses travelled back home for a week or two? A lot of us have some stuff to do, e.g. I'd like to organize the transport of all my stuff to America (flatware, dishes, pictures, ski, etc.).

We are just curious to know.

Thank you!

Anna

Hello,

You do require the Advance parole to travel out of the US. It is generally issued in two months time. If your trip is very urgent then you need to prove it to the officials and have it posted to the US consulate in that country or have it posted to any of your friends house in the US.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
If your trip is very urgent then you need to prove it to the officials and have it posted to the US consulate in that country or have it posted to any of your friends house in the US.

Are you sure about that?

The way I understand it, one must apply for AND recieve the Advance Parole before they leave the US.

The ReEntry Permit is different, and more like you describe.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

jonty,

I agree with meauxna.

I wrote about the 'parole' part of the term 'advance parole' in a previous thread in this post. The 'advance' part has meaning also.

Yodrak

If your trip is very urgent then you need to prove it to the officials and have it posted to the US consulate in that country or have it posted to any of your friends house in the US.

Are you sure about that?

The way I understand it, one must apply for AND recieve the Advance Parole before they leave the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.