kyle francine

first job for LPR- Filing for IL w4 ( Illinois withholding allowance )

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble putting information in my Illinois -W4..its my first job here in the US, and as for pre-employment papers, we were asked to fill this form.please see, for guidelines...

http://www.swcccase.org/drs%20pages/DRS%20Forms%20for%202011%202012/IL%20W4%20Form.pdf

Can you please help me with:

A. STEP 1 , LINE 2 : write the number of dependents ( other than you or your spouse ) you will claim on your tax return. ----> this one I am confused,I am a single mother but I have a child but she is not here in the US she is in the Philippines, is she considered as my dependent here? or should I put (0) ?

B. STEP 1 , LINE 4 : If you want to have additional Illinois Income Tax withheld from your pay, you may reduce the number of basic personal allowance or have an amount withheld. Write the total number of basic personal allowances you elect to claim on Line 4 and on IL-W-4, Line 1. ----> this i did not understand, actually. Im not sure if I it BLANK, ZERO or if I should put in (1).

Please help.Thank you...

I-130 Sent : 2010-08-16

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-11-29

I-130 Approved :2010-12-22

Receive IV Bill :2010-09-17

Pay IV Bill : 2010-11-03

Packet 4 Received :2011-05-26

Interview Date :2011-07-08

Interview Result :Administrative Review

Visa Received : 2011-08-16

Port of Entry : Chicago

POE Date :2011-12-11

Filed SSN : 2011-12-16

Received SSN Card: 2012-01-04

Filed State Card : 2012-01-05

Received Greencard : 2012-01-09

***To God be the Glory***

Vanessa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not an AOS question or topic moving to Working and Traveling during US immigration.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Not an easy answer

My girlfriend will claim 14 dependents so she gets a bigger paycheck

I claim 4 so I get a bigger refund at the end of the year

I think most people will put

2 for your first questions and

0 for the second

if this is a minimum wage job

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

This is just my understanding about tax withholding in general. For line 2, I don't think you can claim your child if she doesn't have a ssn or itin and she doesn't or didn't live here in the US. So for that line i would put 0. You may be entitled for tax credit for supporting her when you file your income tax every year (again I'm not entirely sure about this). If you just want to be in the safe side then I would just put 0 there.

For line 4, don't put 0 there. Because if you do you're not claiming an allowance, which mean they will withheld more taxes on every paycheck. I would suggest putting the same number that you have on line 3.

This site may help you understand taxation on resident aliens (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96493,00.html).

Again what I suggested is according to my understanding on tax withholding and to the form you attached. I do not claim this to be the right answers. Also each state is different in withholding taxes.

Good Luck. :)

Edited by JnB

Not an easy answer

My girlfriend will claim 14 dependents so she gets a bigger paycheck

I claim 4 so I get a bigger refund at the end of the year

I think most people will put

2 for your first questions and

0 for the second

if this is a minimum wage job

Aren't you married? Just wondering because you said "your girlfriend". Your status indicated that you are married. Also 14 dependents seems very high. Usually 9 dependents raises red flag in IRS. I'm not saying they aren't valid dependents just seem to be unusually high. Just don't mess with the IRS they can comeback to you even after few years.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is just my understanding about tax withholding in general. For line 2, I don't think you can claim your child if she doesn't have a ssn or itin and she doesn't or didn't live here in the US. So for that line i would put 0. You may be entitled for tax credit for supporting her when you file your income tax every year (again I'm not entirely sure about this). If you just want to be in the safe side then I would just put 0 there.

For line 4, don't put 0 there. Because if you do you're not claiming an allowance, which mean they will withheld more taxes on every paycheck. I would suggest putting the same number that you have on line 3.

This site may help you understand taxation on resident aliens (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96493,00.html).

Again what I suggested is according to my understanding on tax withholding and to the form you attached. I do not claim this to be the right answers. Also each state is different in withholding taxes.

Good Luck. :)

Thank you for your effort to help..this will help me evaluate things...

I-130 Sent : 2010-08-16

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-11-29

I-130 Approved :2010-12-22

Receive IV Bill :2010-09-17

Pay IV Bill : 2010-11-03

Packet 4 Received :2011-05-26

Interview Date :2011-07-08

Interview Result :Administrative Review

Visa Received : 2011-08-16

Port of Entry : Chicago

POE Date :2011-12-11

Filed SSN : 2011-12-16

Received SSN Card: 2012-01-04

Filed State Card : 2012-01-05

Received Greencard : 2012-01-09

***To God be the Glory***

Vanessa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.