John24689

Russian Electronic Dictionary

10 posts in this topic

My fiancee and daughter are now here at last. My fiancee has started ESL classes yesterday and now says that she needs an electronic dictionary. She said all the students have them and they only cost around $100. I researched this a few years ago and it didn't seem that they were all that great. I think a regular Russian/English dictionary on paper would be better with more definitions. Also, I remember that the electronic ones that had a number of words in them were very expensive, around $300 or so.

My questions are: What do you recommend? Brand, model, and approximate cost. Where is the best place to get one? How many words does it contain?

Thanks for your help and have a great weekend.

John

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Filed: Timeline
My fiancee and daughter are now here at last. My fiancee has started ESL classes yesterday and now says that she needs an electronic dictionary. She said all the students have them and they only cost around $100. I researched this a few years ago and it didn't seem that they were all that great. I think a regular Russian/English dictionary on paper would be better with more definitions. Also, I remember that the electronic ones that had a number of words in them were very expensive, around $300 or so.

My questions are: What do you recommend? Brand, model, and approximate cost. Where is the best place to get one? How many words does it contain?

Thanks for your help and have a great weekend.

John

www.ectaco.com has some really good ones....

I certainly don't think you need the top of the line $600 ones, but the $120 ones might be a bit on the basic side.... I think the ones in the $150 - $250 range might do it, but you might also find a model you like and search the web to see if you can find it cheaper.

Also depends if you want one that TALKS, says the word or not... granted it's a machine voice but it can be helpful sometimes too.

Frankly I bought one early in my journeys overseas to Russia, and then my ex- used it when she was here. I also got the one that translates English <--> French <--> Russian and it was handy when we went to Paris as well.

Yes, paper dictionaries work too, but the electronic ones do things the paper ones can not, like electronic searches, spelling correction, approximation of the word you're looking for, auto-completion of a likely word, etc.

And I think the newer ones have the ability to swap out or add memory cards and other gizmos. So again, research it carefully, but I think these are wonderful devices to have and very handy and useful.

Congratulations on your fiancee and daughter arriving in America as well

-- Dan

Edited by PurrSuede

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Dear John,

You can also check at amazon.com - the Oxford Russian-English/English-Russian dictionaries you'll find here are really good and not very expensive. The same page has links to DVDs/software that you might be interested in.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Russian-Dicti...r/dp/0198601603

Best wishes,

Callina

Filed: Timeline
Dear John,

You can also check at amazon.com - the Oxford Russian-English/English-Russian dictionaries you'll find here are really good and not very expensive. The same page has links to DVDs/software that you might be interested in.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Russian-Dicti...r/dp/0198601603

Best wishes,

Callina

That's a hardbound book-based Dictionary, Callina...

I think he was asking about the electronic ones... the electronic translators

but for dictionaries, for $5.99 on Amazon you can get this one:

The Oxford Russian Dictionary (Oxford) (Paperback)

I'm buying two of them, taking one with me to give to the woman I'm seeing, and keeping one for myself, so we both have the same book... great paperback...

but again, the OP was asking about ELECTRONIC hand-held language translators, I believe

-- Dan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If you want all the fancy features you are probably going to want a machine like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Partner-ER800-English-...1QQcmdZViewItem

But for that kind of price, you can buy a low end laptop and some good software in Russia and have a much more powerful and useful machine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
I think a regular Russian/English dictionary on paper would be better with more definitions.

John

Dan,

As you can read above, John was also interested in a good paper dictionary. On the other hand, the link I've indicated also refers to software and other electronic tools in the same field. God bless! (F) Callina

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
If you want all the fancy features you are probably going to want a machine like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Partner-ER800-English-...1QQcmdZViewItem

But for that kind of price, you can buy a low end laptop and some good software in Russia and have a much more powerful and useful machine.

A good, brand new laptop can be had for ~$500 these days, I'd say that is the way to go. Even an old laptop on the cheap should be pretty good.

I use the dictionary on www.rambler.ru - I've found this to be very complete. I have several paper dictionaries, but rarely use them. My ex-wife used English-only dictionaries ( once you have studied for a few years, these are better). My Russian isn't quite at that level yet.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Thanks everyone for the information. She has a paperback dictionary she is please with at this time. She needs the electronic translator for her ESL classes. (I ran across the ESL classes taught by the public school system for free. They have instructors, computers, CD's, library, etc.) I found an electronic talking translator on the Internet and got it. It should be here next week. I paid $120 for a $339 used translator. Unfortunately, a laptop will not work away from home and she needed something she can carry in her purse. I wish all of you a lot of success in your venture. Have a great weekend.

John

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Thanks everyone for the information. She has a paperback dictionary she is please with at this time. She needs the electronic translator for her ESL classes. (I ran across the ESL classes taught by the public school system for free. They have instructors, computers, CD's, library, etc.) I found an electronic talking translator on the Internet and got it. It should be here next week. I paid $120 for a $339 used translator. Unfortunately, a laptop will not work away from home and she needed something she can carry in her purse. I wish all of you a lot of success in your venture. Have a great weekend.

John

I read your post too late! I bought an ECTACO ER800 Russian to English/English to Russian with Speaking unit with the WORKS! I don't need it!! My Fiance speaks great English. It would be better for me to learn Russian with the thing. Ha ha:))) I paid $450.00 Ide sell for $150.00/BO

Anyone interested just send me a message and we'll work something out.

It did keep me comfortable traveling around Russia knowing I could point to several different phrases and push a button and the thing would speak out the question:)))

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.