Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

car insurance --> california driver's license

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello again,

Believe me, I am not obssesed with insurance. Even though moving to the US from a pseudo-socialist country like Italy scares me a little.

I will need to buy a car after I arrive, It will be one of the first things I have to do because my father is planning on coming to my wedding and staying in the US, travelling and etc. for a good while before and after the wedding. He told my fiancé and I that if we buy another car (my fiancé has a car that she uses all the time to go to work) and let him use it for the amount of time he is inthe US, he would give us the approx 1200$ he would have to spend on car rent. Therefore it would be nice to take advantage of thise discount.

Now, the new and old cars (they are actually both going to be old but that is another point.) would be owned by my fiancé, I need to know whether car insurance can cover me and if I can get a california driver's license before I get married, simply with my SSN.

Thank you so much.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In California, it's a Driver License. A person's Driver License, a woman's Driver License, a resident's Driver License, or a driver's Driver License, but the name of the document is Driver License, so please imprint this into your brain. If you ever forget this, one look at the document will confirm: it's a Driver License.

The California DMV just redesigned their Web site and now it's finally easier to understand. Here's the link:


You will at the very least need your EAD card before you can get a Driver License in the Golden State. A NOA stating that your AoS petition is approved will work as well, and of course your passport with the I-551 stamp is a winner in any case. Since you are arriving with a K-1, you'll need to get married and file for AoS, at which time you'll also apply for an EAD via form I-765. About . . . um . . . 10 weeks later you should receive the EAD card in the mail. Until then, drive with your Italian license.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling it a Driver's License will get you laughed out of the DMV and banned from ever applying for a Driver License. ;)

Start of relationship

??/07/2008 - A random Skype message came through to me from an American girl

14/02/2009 - After months of talking, the American girl flew over to me - I knew we were meant to be

18/08/2009 - I proposed to her on Brighton Beach, UK

K1 Journey

15/07/2010 - We finally put in the i129f application - after shortly considering me going there on VWP, marrying and trying to Adjust Status, but was too risky

03/01/2011 - NOA2 on the day Dawn returned to NY after spending Christmas with me

10/02/2011 - I visited NY for 3 weeks (let this hold up the K1 process)

28/02/2011 - Medical

29/03/2011 - K1 Interview at London Embassy - Visa granted!

01/04/2011 - Visa in hand

Next Stage

03/05/2011 - POE in JFK - can't wait!

04/06/2011 - Our Wedding Day :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.