Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

K1 visa, now married, filing income tax

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My husband came on a K1 visa in May, and we got married in June. He worked in Germany until he came to the US at the end of May. He got his green card in Sept and didn't work in the US during 2011. I'm trying to file our taxes and need help knowing if there's anything we need to do with his work in Germany on our US income tax return.

7/26/10 Engaged
9/15/10 - Mailed I-129F to Dallas
9/17/10 - Received in Dallas
9/23/10 - NOA1 (Email - Sent to VSC)
9/24/10 - NOA1 (Letter Received Dated 9/20/10)
10/3/10 - Touched
3/23/11 - NOA2 (Email - Sent to NVC)
3/31/11 - Letter from NVC confirming receipt (Letter dated then)
4/6/11 - Email confirmation from NVC - Paperwork sent to Frankfurt
4/9/11 - Packet 3 received from Frankfurt
4/19/11 - Packet 4 received from Frankfurt
5/16/11 - Fiance's Interview in Frankfurt - Approved
6/11/11 - Wedding Date

7/1/11 - NOA AOS, EAD, AP documents received
7/27/11 - Biometrics
8/26/11 - Emails that AP and EAD are approved - EAD card sent to be ordered, should be sent within 30 days
10/31/11 - Email that GC is approved.
11/4/11 - GC received!

7/30/13 - NOA1 for ROC

8/27/13 - Biometrics

9/23/13 - Received notice of case being transferred from VSC to CSC

10/28/13 - GC ordered!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it, he didn't make have any overseas income after he became a US Resident alien hence there is no need to report that. One thing that you would need to file taxes on is interest/dividend income from his overseas accounts if he has any. Also, if he has any overseas accounts that aggregate to $10,000 any point in the year, he needs to declare them. This is separate from the tax filing. He needs to submit an FBAR which is a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts. The form number is TD F 90-22.1.

Check out this link.


I had to do this for my wife.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.