SCFan

I-129F Package Almost Complete - Nervous - A Couple of Questions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

My I-129F package is essentially complete. All I have to do is obtain the Fiance Letter of Intent and G-325A form from my fiance, and it's all set and ready to go. I'm very nervous, and have a couple of important questions before I mail it off.

- How many photos are normal for proof of a relationship and having met previously? I have literally thousands of photos of us together, and I've chosen several from various trips and time periods in our relationship. I just wonder how many photos most of you submitted with your package.

- Would notarized statements by friends or family members stating that they have met my fiance when she was visiting me in the States help at all?

- This is the most important question of all. As I mentioned in a previous post, my fiance is Mexican, and has a B1-B2 Border Crossing Card. She is currently in Mexico, and also currently has a multiple-entry I-94 that will expire at the end of April. I will be traveling to Mexico next week to visit her, and she will be crossing back over with me when I return. Our plan is that she will stay with me until she has to return home just before her I-94 expires. At that point, we will try to obtain another one, but since the K-1 application process will be well under way at that point, I understand that it's probably at best a 50/50 chance that she'll be granted another 6-month I-94.

My question is this: Once I have the 2 items I need from her early next week, and the package is complete, would it be smart of me to wait until she's in the United States before mailing the package? I don't want there to be a situation where she's denied entry because her record shows up as having a K-1 application in process.

We are committed to doing this the right way. I understand from everything I've read that there's absolutely no legal issue with her coming to stay with me (as long as she has a valid I-94) while the K-1 application is working it's way through the system. We also understand completely that even if she's able to obtain a new I-94 in April and return to the States with me, that she'll have to return to Mexico for her physical and interview. Am I reading things wrong, or am I good to go with this plan?

Any suggestion or advice from folks in the know out there?

Edited by SCFan

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

i sent pictures of use together.. and with me and her family/friends and her with my family/friends.. dont really need anything notarized.. from the way i understand..

you will just have to find out if the goverment will allow you to get another I-94.. but you basically want her to stay with you in US until the entire process is complete?

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

i sent pictures of use together.. and with me and her family/friends and her with my family/friends.. dont really need anything notarized.. from the way i understand..

Thanks. Sending photos us together with the other's family and friends is a good idea.

you will just have to find out if the goverment will allow you to get another I-94.. but you basically want her to stay with you in US until the entire process is complete?

Yeah, we are going back in late April to turn in her I-94 and take care of a few things there. We'll then try to cross back over the border and obtain a new 6-month I-94. I fully expect them to not want to give it to her, since she has a K-1 in progress. I'm going to take a copy of our entire I-129F package with us, along with any correspondence from USCIC that I've received since sending it in. I'm hoping that the immigration officer will understand that we are trying to do things the correct way, if we weren't, why would we have spent so much time and money going through the K-1 process if we were intending to just have her cross and get married?

So to answer your question in short form, yes, we want her to be able to stay here while until they contact her to schedule her physical and Visa interview at the consulate.

Edited by SCFan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

- This is the most important question of all. As I mentioned in a previous post, my fiance is Mexican, and has a B1-B2 Border Crossing Card. She is currently in Mexico, and also currently has a multiple-entry I-94 that will expire at the end of April. I will be traveling to Mexico next week to visit her, and she will be crossing back over with me when I return. Our plan is that she will stay with me until she has to return home just before her I-94 expires. At that point, we will try to obtain another one, but since the K-1 application process will be well under way at that point, I understand that it's probably at best a 50/50 chance that she'll be granted another 6-month I-94.

My wife and I applied for a CR-1, not a K-1, but she's also Mexican. She and I got married by the civil authorities about six months before our church wedding—you can't get married in a church in Mexico without doing the civil paperwork beforehand anyway—so as soon as we did that, we filed the paperwork for our CR-1. During the time that the CR-1 was pending, we didn't have any trouble with her getting an I-94 at the border. She visited me twice on the East Coast without any trouble.

When we came back from our honeymoon after our church wedding, we flew into the US from Europe. They paid her extra scrutiny there, but she had enough ties to Mexico that we didn't really have any trouble. A month later, she went back to Mexico for her visa interview.

So your fiancee should be fine at the border. It's always at the discretion of the border entry official, but there shouldn't be any restrictions on her travel.

The restrictions on her traveling will go into effect after she enters with her K-1—she'll have to stay in the US until she adjusts status.

I don't know your particular situation, but if your fiancee is near the border region, you might want to look into skipping the K-1 and just getting married and filing for the CR-1. You'll save yourselves about $900, and she can wait in the US up to 6 months at a time with her BCC. She can't work, but she couldn't work with the K-1 anyway (at least, not until she gets work authorization, which I heard can take as long as the AOS process). Since she can come into the US with her BCC, why bother with the extra hassle of travel restriction, status adjustment, and fees?

Just something to consider.

Edited by Dan C.

7 Mar 2011 - Mailed the I-130 package

12 Nov 2011 - Became a U.S. resident (+250 days)

18 Sep 2017 - Sworn in as a U.S. citizen (+2137 days)

Timeline

My wife and I applied for a CR-1, not a K-1, but she's also Mexican. She and I got married by the civil authorities about six months before our church wedding—you can't get married in a church in Mexico without doing the civil paperwork beforehand anyway—so as soon as we did that, we filed the paperwork for our CR-1. During the time that the CR-1 was pending, we didn't have any trouble with her getting an I-94 at the border. She visited me twice on the East Coast without any trouble.

When we came back from our honeymoon after our church wedding, we flew into the US from Europe. They paid her extra scrutiny there, but she had enough ties to Mexico that we didn't really have any trouble. A month later, she went back to Mexico for her visa interview.

So your fiancee should be fine at the border. It's always at the discretion of the border entry official, but there shouldn't be any restrictions on her travel.

The restrictions on her traveling will go into effect after she enters with her K-1—she'll have to stay in the US until she adjusts status.

I don't know your particular situation, but if your fiancee is near the border region, you might want to look into skipping the K-1 and just getting married and filing for the CR-1. You'll save yourselves about $900, and she can wait in the US up to 6 months at a time with her BCC. She can't work, but she couldn't work with the K-1 anyway (at least, not until she gets work authorization, which I heard can take as long as the AOS process). Since she can come into the US with her BCC, why bother with the extra hassle of travel restriction, status adjustment, and fees?

Just something to consider.

Thanks, Dan. That's definitely something to consider. I really appreciate all the information.

My fiance does, in fact, live near the border.

I had decided against the CR-1, mostly because I was certain that she'd not be able to cross the border to stay with me once her CR-1 application was received. The K-1 seemed to be the only way to be able to work that out.

When you and your wife went through this, did she quit her job in Mexico so she could stay with you on her I-94? If so, did that not cause the immigration officers to have more issues with giving her the I-94?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My I-129F package is essentially complete. All I have to do is obtain the Fiance Letter of Intent and G-325A form from my fiance, and it's all set and ready to go. I'm very nervous, and have a couple of important questions before I mail it off.

- How many photos are normal for proof of a relationship and having met previously? I have literally thousands of photos of us together, and I've chosen several from various trips and time periods in our relationship. I just wonder how many photos most of you submitted with your package.

- Would notarized statements by friends or family members stating that they have met my fiance when she was visiting me in the States help at all?

My question is this: Once I have the 2 items I need from her early next week, and the package is complete, would it be smart of me to wait until she's in the United States before mailing the package? I don't want there to be a situation where she's denied entry because her record shows up as having a K-1 application in process.

We are committed to doing this the right way. I understand from everything I've read that there's absolutely no legal issue with her coming to stay with me (as long as she has a valid I-94) while the K-1 application is working it's way through the system. We also understand completely that even if she's able to obtain a new I-94 in April and return to the States with me, that she'll have to return to Mexico for her physical and interview. Am I reading things wrong, or am I good to go with this plan?

Any suggestion or advice from folks in the know out there?

1. I turned in 15 photos covering the 2 year period we had known each other at that time. There is no point in submitting a whole lot. These guys have a lot to do and they're not going to kill time flipping through a lot of photos. Just pick the best ones from different times & locations and that should be fine.

2. The more information you submit, the better; however, notarized statements aren't necessary and probably wouldn't do anything to improve your case. If submitting them will put your mind at ease then it might be worth it.

3. I'm not sure, but people travel back and forth all the time with a pending K-1 application so the most important thing is that she have a return ticket home and doesn't give the immigration officers at the POE any suspicion that she won't be returning to Mexico.

Edited by mugumogu

K-1 Visa
04-29-2011: I-129F Sent
05-05-2011: I-129F NOA1
07-18-2011: I-129F NOA2
08-08-2011: NVC Received
08-09-2011: NVC Left
08-10-2011: Consulate Received
08-26-2011: Consulate mailed Packet 3 (invitation letter)
09-01-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in US
09-10-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in Mexico
09-22-2011: Interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-04-2011: DHL Waybill number appears in the afternoon
10-05-2011: Picked up visa from DHL office
11-08-2011: POE Houston, Texas
11-19-2011: Married!

AOS
12-06-2011: Applied for Social Security Number
12-08-2011: AOS package sent (I-485, I-765, I-131, and supporting docs)
12-12-2011: Received Social Security Number and card in the mail
12-20-2011: Received NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-131
01-06-2012: Completed ASC appointment
02-02-2012: Received appointment notice for AOS interview on March 1, 2012
03-01-2012: Green card interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-10-2012: Green card received

ROC

12-27-2013: I-751 Sent

01-02-2014: Received NOA1 for I-751

01-24-2014: Completed ASC appointment

04-01-2014: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview)

CITIZENSHIP

11-14-2016: N-400 Sent

05-19-2017: Naturalization interview:  APPROVED!!!!!!!

06-28-2017: Citizenship ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.