joonphon

Just don't know what to do anymore :(

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiance turned 29 in Jan. He was born and raised in a place where he thought it was an exempted location and no one even mentioned being in military back then so he never bothered to go in for recruitment when he turned 21 thinking he didn't need to. he went to study in Australia for a few years... came back last year... We didn't talk about it until we looked at packet 3 info and he needs military record/exempt letter. When he went up to Amphur and they said nothing they could do. They'll have recruitment on April 1st.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Our case is approved and NVC already sent our application to Thailand. Can I post pone our appt? or packet 3 or packet 4? Let's say if he goes in military for a year, would I need to reapply for k1 visa through the USCIS again? I tried to search info online but didn't come out w/ many info.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiance turned 29 in Jan. He was born and raised in a place where he thought it was an exempted location and no one even mentioned being in military back then so he never bothered to go in for recruitment when he turned 21 thinking he didn't need to. he went to study in Australia for a few years... came back last year... We didn't talk about it until we looked at packet 3 info and he needs military record/exempt letter. When he went up to Amphur and they said nothing they could do. They'll have recruitment on April 1st.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Our case is approved and NVC already sent our application to Thailand. Can I post pone our appt? or packet 3 or packet 4? Let's say if he goes in military for a year, would I need to reapply for k1 visa through the USCIS again? I tried to search info online but didn't come out w/ many info.

I am sorry to say I think he has a problem. I am not certian but after I talked to my brother who just got out of the military there it seems he will have to serve. All Thai males are required to report to the government for military service at 21. He would have known this before he went to Australia.

Its my understanding the military will pursue him until he is 60 years old. He will have to go to see them to find out what his status will be. Maybe he will become exempt but I doubt it. They take a dim view of what he has done.

You can delay the P 3 for awhile to enable him to see what they decide to do about his situation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Most men in the village never been in the military and people didn't look for them because the location where they lived is like out of no where. It's the misunderstanding in the village I guess. What I don't understand is why didn't they try to stop him from going to australia? Didn't they check his military status or record? or even mention that he needs to be in military?

But yeah, he's going to talk to them. and w/ his education he might volunteer to do the 6 months program w/o taking the chance of drawing the black/red ball.

we'll see.... I can wait.. Just worried about NOA2 being expired. Thanks Ning, for the info.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Most men in the village never been in the military and people didn't look for them because the location where they lived is like out of no where. It's the misunderstanding in the village I guess. What I don't understand is why didn't they try to stop him from going to australia? Didn't they check his military status or record? or even mention that he needs to be in military?

But yeah, he's going to talk to them. and w/ his education he might volunteer to do the 6 months program w/o taking the chance of drawing the black/red ball.

we'll see.... I can wait.. Just worried about NOA2 being expired. Thanks Ning, for the info.

It is probably exactly what you say. The village is out of touch with what has to be done. This is common for many things especially in the remote areas.

Its possible that they would just let it go at this point. He just wont know until he sits down with them. I think we all know it would serve no purpose to force him into the military at 29 & just when he is ready to leave the country. However in Thailand we can never be sure of the outcome. Common sense is hard to come by at times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.