bonnie_blueeyez

Missed the interview cause never receive appointment letter!

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and I'm waiting for my interview date, I apply K1 visa. I sent back my p3 in the end of October, they told me that interview will be scheduled after 1-2 months. In the end of November I haven't heard anything from them, then I started email them. I've sent several emails, and they just replied me after 3 weeks said that I failed to attend the interview, they have sent the appointment letter to my address. The thing is that I never receive any appointment letter, I tried to contact them, I went to the information window at US consulate in HCM, they just turned away from me and gave me no answer. I just didn't know why, I got my p3, but never got my p4! Now I have to fill another from to request for another interview, and have to wait for another 2-3 months.

We've asked them to sent appointment letter to my email cause I'm afraid I might not receive it next time, but they refuse, they said that they contact via mail only, and I cannot even go to the US consulate to ask anything. If I don't get my mail, then blame it on the post-office. We tried to ask for help from senator, but they just got same respond from US consulate in HCM.

Did anyone ever get into same situation? What can I do now to make sure that I can get my appointment letter so that I can attend the interview? Is there any number that I can call to ask for information about my interview date?

I don't understand, aren't youg guys suppose to get emails of the letters!! I did when throughout the whole process...

To quotes a movie, “So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows... but what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One Moment you're enjoying your life, and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without them.” I felt I found something with Kieu that is rare in life... true love.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

maybe you put inccorect address.. did you hand write it or.. TYPE your K1

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I don't understand, aren't youg guys suppose to get emails of the letters!! I did when throughout the whole process...

Your CR-1 ... NVC set your interview date, and does send out email comfirmation. The consulate on the other hand set's the interview date for K-1, and does not do email.. It took my wife 11 days to get P4 from the day they mailed it.

gotcha, thanks for the clarification...

To quotes a movie, “So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows... but what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One Moment you're enjoying your life, and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without them.” I felt I found something with Kieu that is rare in life... true love.

We never received any mail from the Consulate either. My case was 6 months ago. I had to call DoS to find out. I advised my fiancee to go the Consulate and ask. Funny enough, they said they sent it more than a month and gave us a print copy of the letter. The address was correct on file. We just never receive it. Lucky, we got the information before anything.

Another funny thing was, travel agent postcard and letter were sent to my fiancee home before any letters. They showed the price for ticket between Ho Chi Minh City and to the city of where I live. How could anyone know what exactly city I'm from and knowing the full name of fiancee name and I. I suspected someone in the Consulate took the mail and gave it to third parties or someone outside stole the mail before the consulate send out the mail.

Another thing, if you go to the consulate, then go straight into the Consulate. Talk to the Consulate Guard. Do not listen to anyone hanging in front of the consulate or across the street from the consulate (including the people who you might pay them to hold on to your motorcycles) because they will point you to a place and that place will offer you their services. Didn't happen to us, but they tried on us.

Edited by seattlerain

1st email, May 19, 2009

1st visit, first face to face, June 17, 2009

2nd visit, December 24, 2009

3rd visit, engaged in Vietnam, June 6, 2010

Filed K-1, June 17, 2010

4th visit,December 26, 2010

INTERVIEWED May 21, 2011 --> RE: Additional documents

5th visit, both of us went in to submit additional documents on June 16, 2011---> Result AP.

6th visit, I went to the Consulate on December 28, 2011

Got back to the US and asked Congressman for help.

March 10, Asked Senators for help.

March 27, 2012 DoS status indicated an expedite on my case after Senators inquiry

End of March, Phone call from Consulate at 11:30PM.

April 13 (or so) received letter asked to update medical and police report

Received VISA April 28, 2012

The address is correct, I got the P3 from the consulate, but never got P4. Now they don't let people come to Information Window at consulate to ask anything about interview date.

When I sent them back the P3, they told me that they will send me appointment letter in 1-2 months (P4) . After one month, I hear nothing from them so I started write email, I also went there to ask them, but they gave me no answer, just told me to go home and keep emailing??! 3 weeks later from my first email to them, they email me back and state that I fail to attend the interview date!!

Now I'm waiting for them to schedule another interview date for me. They refuse to email me, they told me not to come to consulate to ask, all I can do is just stay at home and wait for the mail! But when I ask them "how can I know that if I can receive their mail? What if I won't get any mail from them again?", they simply answer "we don't know, you have to call the post-office" :wacko: The way they work is just so ridiculous and stupid.

Now, I wonder can I call DOS to find out my interview date? Will they answer me? And will they send me an email confirmation since the consulate never do that?

I doubt that they will take extra effort to email you about your interview. After all, you're just an applicant like thousands out there.

They probably can check on your case and tell you the interview date if the date is already assigned.

1st email, May 19, 2009

1st visit, first face to face, June 17, 2009

2nd visit, December 24, 2009

3rd visit, engaged in Vietnam, June 6, 2010

Filed K-1, June 17, 2010

4th visit,December 26, 2010

INTERVIEWED May 21, 2011 --> RE: Additional documents

5th visit, both of us went in to submit additional documents on June 16, 2011---> Result AP.

6th visit, I went to the Consulate on December 28, 2011

Got back to the US and asked Congressman for help.

March 10, Asked Senators for help.

March 27, 2012 DoS status indicated an expedite on my case after Senators inquiry

End of March, Phone call from Consulate at 11:30PM.

April 13 (or so) received letter asked to update medical and police report

Received VISA April 28, 2012

Filed: Timeline

We never received our appoinment letter. I had to contact the U.S Consulate in Vietnam by email, and they told us they sent it out to my wife's address but we never got the letter. From my point of view I think they try to make it difficult to see if you have the patience and keep fighting for your case. I had to fill out the form to register for a new interview date approximately 2 months later. I will be leaving to Vietnam next Wednesday to pick up my wife and our son. It has been a very long process. My wife failed the first interview in November 2009 because they said our marriage was a SHAM, unbelievalbe. Other couples did it for money and they passed the interviews left and right

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Its all too common for mail to get lost in teh VN postal system. Never count on delivery of anything important through that system. It is best pratices as has been noted here, to call DoS regularly to check up on the status of the case and to see if anything has been sent. A simple call from the USC to DoS could have let you know that the interview had been set and that the notification had not arrived in a timely manner. The spouse/fiance can go to the consulate to get the required documentation to get the medical done as well as resetting the interview date. She needs to take a copy of the emails so they understand the information lag.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Scott is correct. Just call DOS and keep asking them when the interview is scheduled. Thu never got P3 or P4 in the mail. I found out through DOS when the interview date was and Thu went to the Consulate with that information and got the paperwork on the spot. Conveniently, she got the email confirmation from the Consulate 24 hours later.....

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Thank so much everyone for your helping. My fiance just called the DoS and he met a crazy cranky woman. She yelled at him when he started to ask about the interview date, we just wanted to ask her if we can call DoS to keep checking on our case but she didn't let he say anything, kept blaming on us for not showed up at the interview :wacko: , then she told he have to wait and hang up the phone, my fiance couldn't even say a word :wow: !! Guess we still have to bother them til we have the interview date, no matter what hah!

We never received our appoinment letter. I had to contact the U.S Consulate in Vietnam by email, and they told us they sent it out to my wife's address but we never got the letter. From my point of view I think they try to make it difficult to see if you have the patience and keep fighting for your case. I had to fill out the form to register for a new interview date approximately 2 months later. I will be leaving to Vietnam next Wednesday to pick up my wife and our son. It has been a very long process. My wife failed the first interview in November 2009 because they said our marriage was a SHAM, unbelievalbe. Other couples did it for money and they passed the interviews left and right

Yea, this process feels like never ending, sometimes I get too tired and upset with the way they treat us, but still have to trying and fighting. Did you get the appointment letter the 2nd time? Did you have a new interview after 2 months? They told me have to wait 2 or 3 months.

The spouse/fiance can go to the consulate to get the required documentation to get the medical done as well as resetting the interview date. She needs to take a copy of the emails so they understand the information lag.

What we can do to get the email from DOS? Someone said that they don't email the interview date for petitioner who do K1 visa? Without that email, I can't go to the consulate to get the P4 then :help:

Scott is correct. Just call DOS and keep asking them when the interview is scheduled. Thu never got P3 or P4 in the mail. I found out through DOS when the interview date was and Thu went to the Consulate with that information and got the paperwork on the spot. Conveniently, she got the email confirmation from the Consulate 24 hours later.....

Now I know that I'm not the only one who never get P3/P4 :wow: Did DOS send you any email? Did your fiance bring any email when she went to consulate or she just went there and told them she knew the interview date and asked them to give her P4? You know, I had bad experience with those people who worked at Information window, they're so heartless, I even cried when I went there last time. Never want to go back there again :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife didn't receive packet 3 until about 2 months after it was sent because of Hurricane Ketsana. Hue was flooded waist deep for a while. I confirmed through DoS that the consulate had the petition and had sent P3, so we just prepared the forms and sent them. She did get packet 4 about a week after they sent it, but she greased the clerk at the mail house in her neighborhood with a little coffee money to make sure they didn't sit on it like they did with the packet 3 envelope.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No email is needed to go to the consulate. She can go with the case # and her identification. She needs to explain the siuation to get a new date.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.