friscoflip

2nd interview for citizenship...Help!

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. I had my interview last Dec. 7 in San francisco. I shared my experience in which I didn't know if it turned out ok even though I passed my test. The IO didn't congratulate me like I said and she didn't hand me any n-652. My 3rd year LPR was last Dec. 23. I thought all the while I was just waiting for the Jan. 23 atleast to get my oath schedule. Sadly, I received a different letter. It says, that I have an interview on Feb.17 7:45AM. That early...And to bring my wife, alien registration card, passport, California picture ID, social security card and all marital union documents.

"It is important that you keep this appointment and bring this letter with you. If you are unable to do so, state your reason, sign below and return this letter to this office at once. Failure to appear or to bring requested items may result in the denialof your application for lack of prosecution."

Please help, has anyone encountered this? My wife was like don't worry, it's just an interview. I'm just lucky my wife is not as worried as me. Any pointer is welcome. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Apparently your IO doubted your marriage. Happened to a friend of our, both spouses had to go in with all that information because they questioned why one spouse didn't put his home deed in his applicants wifes' name. He gave them good reasons why.

Filed: Timeline

Stokes interview? Was you wife at the last interview?

I see the San Francisco office: They want to see the spouse show up for the interview -- all the interviews. Make sure she has her driver's license with her or a California ID card.

Edited by ☼

Timeline

Apparently your IO doubted your marriage. Happened to a friend of our, both spouses had to go in with all that information because they questioned why one spouse didn't put his home deed in his applicants wifes' name. He gave them good reasons why.

Thanks for the reply Nick. I remember her asking me about my wife's SS nmber. And I told her we don't memorize each others SS nmber let alon mine. But I told IO she might know mine because my wife is the one who keeps our documents. And the later part of my interview she asked me if I have documents for her regarding our marriage, I just told the IO, I brought whatever the interview letter asked me to bring like the passport , ID etc. I didn't bring anything like our renter's insurance or life insurance.and she just said wait for the mail and she'll study our case.

I just hope everything will turn out ok when we go there by Feb. 17.

Timeline

Stokes interview? Was you wife at the last interview?

I see the San Francisco office: They want to see the spouse show up for the interview -- all the interviews. Make sure she has her driver's license with her or a California ID card.

No, she wasn't there. She was actually in Manila organizing and preparing for our Church wedding for June 2012.I even told the IO officer it was my wife's turn to organize and be there, and that I was there last April to September when I got laid off so my wife told me to go home first so we could star for the preparation of the wedding. My wife even have to take classes for the church preparation there. She's actually disappointed right now that she flew back here instead of waiting for me there after my citizenship. It's not cheap to fly back and forth from manila to sf. We're gathering all our documents right now from Life, Health, Renter's, Auto insurance to Bank statements. What else do I need? Any suggestions?

So is it really normal in SF to bring my spouse?They should have told me so she could have waited for it before flying to manila last December. :(

No, she wasn't there. She was actually in Manila organizing and preparing for our Church wedding for June 2012.I even told the IO officer it was my wife's turn to organize and be there, and that I was there last April to September when I got laid off so my wife told me to go home first so we could star for the preparation of the wedding. My wife even have to take classes for the church preparation there. She's actually disappointed right now that she flew back here instead of waiting for me there after my citizenship. It's not cheap to fly back and forth from manila to sf. We're gathering all our documents right now from Life, Health, Renter's, Auto insurance to Bank statements. What else do I need? Any suggestions?

So is it really normal in SF to bring my spouse?They should have told me so she could have waited for it before flying to manila last December. :(

Be prepared for them to interview you both separately and ask some very intimate questions.

Yes. It is normal to have your spouse with you in the waiting room.

Have evidence of both of you living at the same address, and perhaps get a couple statements from folks that know both of you, and can testify to the validity of your relationship.

Edited by ☼

Timeline

Be prepared for them to interview you both separately and ask some very intimate questions.

Yes. It is normal to have your spouse with you in the waiting room.

Have evidence of both of you living at the same address, and perhaps get a couple statements from folks that know both of you, and can testify to the validity of your relationship.

There's no problem with us being interviewed...what's bothering me is that from all the forums that I read, this rarely happened. It's like witchhunt or something. I'm already tempted to ask for a lawyer's advice, because this are all sudden. From the start we didn't get any lawyer, what for? But now, with all this additional interviews and questions about our marriage which seems to me has no reason becuase we were able to give all our docs during my removal of conditions. It doesnt seem to be right...I don't know...maybe I'm just thinking too much. My wife and I feel offended with it actually, with my wife having a miscarriage last Feb. 2009, and still they will question us?

I just hope the interview will go smoothly. Can we do an infopass just to get this over with? Thanks!

There's no problem with us being interviewed...what's bothering me is that from all the forums that I read, this rarely happened. It's like witchhunt or something. I'm already tempted to ask for a lawyer's advice, because this are all sudden. From the start we didn't get any lawyer, what for? But now, with all this additional interviews and questions about our marriage which seems to me has no reason becuase we were able to give all our docs during my removal of conditions. It doesnt seem to be right...I don't know...maybe I'm just thinking too much. My wife and I feel offended with it actually, with my wife having a miscarriage last Feb. 2009, and still they will question us?

I just hope the interview will go smoothly. Can we do an infopass just to get this over with? Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. (F)

It's nothing personal. Each IO interviews several people a day, five days a week. They go by the guidelines. They just don't have enough evidence to deny you, and they don't have enough evidence to approve you. So, it is being taken to the next level, that's all. They are just doing their job.

The lawyer is up to you. If you are not sure, do not rely on what you find on immigration sites like this, but rather see an attorney. Get one with referrals, from your own attorney. Not all attorneys are created equal.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

A stokes interview for Naturalization?

Really, I've never heard of that. I figure they've had enough changes to do that before this point (Initial Visa Interview, Possible interviews at Adjustment of Status and Removal of Conditions) that they wouldn' be doubting the bonefides of the marriage at this late stage but then I guess since this is quite possibly their last bite at the apple they've got to make the most of it...

This is VERY strange but I'm guessing something in your file triggered their suspicion. Try not to worry too hard about it, sometimes you just get the bad end of the stick depending on the IO. Take your wife and your documents and just prepare. There isn't anything else you can do and worrying will drive you crazy with all the what ifs you think about.

Like someone said, they're just doing their job (often times just based on intuition rather than anything concrete).

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. (F)

It's nothing personal. Each IO interviews several people a day, five days a week. They go by the guidelines. They just don't have enough evidence to deny you, and they don't have enough evidence to approve you. So, it is being taken to the next level, that's all. They are just doing their job.

The lawyer is up to you. If you are not sure, do not rely on what you find on immigration sites like this, but rather see an attorney. Get one with referrals, from your own attorney. Not all attorneys are created equal.

Thank you...

Timeline

This is VERY strange but I'm guessing something in your file triggered their suspicion. Try not to worry too hard about it, sometimes you just get the bad end of the stick depending on the IO. Take your wife and your documents and just prepare. There isn't anything else you can do and worrying will drive you crazy with all the what ifs you think about.

Like someone said, they're just doing their job (often times just based on intuition rather than anything concrete).

Yeah, I know...well all we can do is pray for it to go smoothly...you know how nervous everybody is once the interview starts, just even being in the waiting room. hehe

Timeline

A stokes interview for Naturalization?

Really, I've never heard of that. I figure they've had enough changes to do that before this point (Initial Visa Interview, Possible interviews at Adjustment of Status and Removal of Conditions) that they wouldn' be doubting the bonefides of the marriage at this late stage but then I guess since this is quite possibly their last bite at the apple they've got to make the most of it...

That's what I've thought too...I'm hoping they're just going tocheck all our docs and ask why my wife wasn't with me during the interview (in which I clearly explained)and from now on...I'll memorize my wife's social security. lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for the reply Nick. I remember her asking me about my wife's SS nmber. And I told her we don't memorize each others SS nmber let alon mine. But I told IO she might know mine because my wife is the one who keeps our documents. And the later part of my interview she asked me if I have documents for her regarding our marriage, I just told the IO, I brought whatever the interview letter asked me to bring like the passport , ID etc. I didn't bring anything like our renter's insurance or life insurance.and she just said wait for the mail and she'll study our case.

I just hope everything will turn out ok when we go there by Feb. 17.

That's the problem, even the eligible supplement in the N-400 is using a bunch of OR's when they really mean AND's, in terms of evidence of living together. Ha, someone should take the USCIS to court with that supplement.

Three year marriage certificate is a privilege, according to our law, you are a better citizen if you are married to one. None of that goes on with the five year. And the USCIS carries this to the nth degree. Just bring in tons of evidence, and you will be okay.

I was with my wife at her interview, her IO wouldn't even return my hello, she just wanted to see my papers. Guess they can do whatever they want to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.