dukeandduchess

Canada Immigration and K1 Guide for Vancouver

125 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Vaccinations depend on your age, but yes, usually just MMR, Varicella, Tdap, and Flu if your medical/interview is in October to (I think) February.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I don't think there is a way to immigrate to the US without getting the immunizations.

You could avoid the flu shot by timing your interview outside of flu season, though.

Timeline

Question...my case has finally left the NVC and it says in transit. This is what it says "Your case is in transit to the Consular Section. Your interview date was provided to you by the National Visa Center."

My question: has the interview date truly been set already or is that just an every case statement that is put on the case status thingy? I was under the impression that we could kinda pick a date based off of availability etc once we receive the packet 4 stuff. Consulate will be Vancouver. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Yep, the letter from the consulate has your case number which is required to book your medical. The 28 days includes the approval, sending to NVC, processing, sending the petition to Vancouver, and Vancouver mailing me the letter with instructions on packet 3. Not very long actually. I've heard others say it takes longer smile.gif

My biggest piece of advice is to start getting your documents especially vaccinations together now. The biggest delay I had was getting my vaccinations done so I could book my medical. Woking medical is pretty strict in enforcing the vaccinations.

Glad you liked it. If you have any questions feel free to PM. There aren't too many of us that go through Vancouver!

I was wondering if you could answer a quick question...when i click your link for packet 3 it mentions ds-230 but on the vancouver consulate download packet 3 link it says ds160 and does not mention 156 or ds230. have they made changes? i am ready to send stuff ahead of receiving packet 3 in the mail so I wanted to make sure. Thanks

Timeline

couldn't tell you (I'm still waiting to hear back from NVC...). But if you have your new case number from NVC you should be able to contact vancouver directly.

OR...the montreal consulate's website has packet 3, so you can get started on what you need with that :)

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Nvc to Vancouver was about a week for us. Jesse got a letter from the nvc dated October 10 saying "here's the case number we'll forward it to Vancouver" and I got a letter from Vancouver dated October 17.

Just the update. Ps. I'll let you all know how requesting extensions from Vancouver goes.

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

May 5, 2014 - Medical

Timeline

And may I say they enjoy providing vague answers. Yarg.

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

• 2 months later...
Timeline

This post has been inactive for a little bit, but I thought I'd do a brief update on interviewing through the Vancouver consulate and medical exam with Dr. Cheema.

1. The medical can only be done by Dr. Cheema - the only doctor in western Canada certfied to do medicals for immigration purposes. The rest of the doctors are in Ontario and Quebec. Dr. Cheema is located in Surrey, which is about 35-40 minutes from downtown Vancouver (this is not accounting for any vehicle traffic on the roads).

2.Vaccinations, and proof of having them, must be done prior to the medical. However, if you do not have them done ahead of time, or if like me you find out you weren't fully vaccinated as a child (my mother chose not to have me vaccinated for T-dap), you can try to book an appointment with a travel clinic to get your updated vaccinations. They fax the results directly to Dr. Cheema's office so he can complete the medical report -- but make sure you get Dr. Cheema's fax number from him if this is the case you face. They do not keep his fax number on file. I went to a travel clinic on the 2nd or 3rd floor of a medical building near Surrey Memorial Hospital, which is about 10-15 minutes from his office.

3. DS-160 is the only form you have to submit (versus the two other forms) as far as I know. We dealt with an immigration lawyer, and she submitted ONLY DS-160. Seems they have amalgamated some forms and processes.

4. Vancouver consulate will not allow you to line up earlier than 30 minutes prior to your scheduled interview time. Also, your scheduled interview time is NOT likely to be the actual time you speak to a consular interviewer. You first wait outside the consulate, and they only let 5 or 6. people in at a time. You pass through an initial security check outside the consulate, and a second one once you enter the building in a group of 5 or 6. When you wait outside, it is a covered area.

5. Bring a book with you because cell phones are not allowed (they do have secure/patrolled lock boxes outside and provide you with a key to leave cell phones in). I was in the building by 10am (scheduled interview time) but was not interviewed until about 11:45am or later. Time passes by slowly otherwise and you are only staring at other people waiting, or watching people come and go.

6. You will be told to go to "Window B" once you take the elevator to floor 21. You will be 'pre screened' where they ensure you have all your documents with you, and they will give you a number. You must wait for your number to be called before you can be interviewed.

7. The waiting is the worst part! I was giving number A95, and when I got to the waiting area, they were on number A84 so I knew I had a long wait ahead of me. It appeared each person called up took 10+ minutes each. Sometimes their counting systems skips numbers -- they skipped mine -- so I had to wait even longer to have my number called. As soon as I could find somebody to inform they had skipped my number, then (and only then) was I called up for my interview. Make sure you pay attention, and speak up if they skip your number. One man waiting was there for 3 hours before he notified somebody that his number had been skipped!

I think that's all the advice I can think of for now about the Vancouver consulate. My experience wasn't ideal, but that was because of a mistake on my lawyer's part that caused a 5 day delay in getting the consulate some missing documents. The consular interviewer was extremely pleasant to deal with, and asked very few questions (how we met, our ages, occupations, had we met each others' families, and also asked to see pictures of us since my fiance was unable to attend the interview).

Applied for Naturalization based on 3-year Residency 

July 05, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed via USPS to Phoenix Lockbox

July 10, 2017 (Day 05) - NOA received

July 12, 2017 (Day 07) -  Check is cashed by USCIS

July 19, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics appointment letter mailed

August 02, 2017 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment at Seattle Field Office

August 28, 2017 (Day 54) - Case is "in line" for an interview"

August 28, 2018 (Day 419) - Interview is scheduled

October 4, 2018 (Day 462) - Citizenship Interview AND Oath (offered same day oath by ISO in Seattle, WA)

Officially a U.S. Citizen - Proud to be an American

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Medical Exam Review (10-Jan-2014) - Dr. Cheema

Website

I live in Downtown Vancouver (close to the US Consulate) so the drive to Dr. Cheema's clinic this morning was a good 50 minutes even with light traffic. I arrived about half an hour early which worked out well because the person before me just phoned to cancel their appointment.

The medical assistants were quite friendly and Indu, the one helping me, was very nice. We chatted for a bit and she complemented me on a very well put-together package that contained:

• Passport
  • Email Confirmation of Interview Appointment (copy for the clinic)
  • Consulate Letter (copy for the clinic)
  • Immunization records (original & copy for the clinic)
  • Medical letter from my GP (copy for the clinic)
  • One passpot photo

Once my paperwork was done, a different medical office assistant went to take my height and weight. I was asked to sit inside one of the rooms to wait for Dr. Cheema.

The actual medical examination was painless and went very quick. In fact, I felt like the doctor went through the entire exam in haste. Anyhow, he told me that everything was good and that I have to go get x-ray and bloodtest done.

Indu processed my payment (Cash or Debit only) and gave me the lab and x-ray requisitions. These had to be taken to a different site which was not that far away from Dr. Cheema's clinic. I was told to come back on Monday after 4pm to pick up my results (packet not to be opened).

All in all, I think it was a successful day. I'm glad part one of this K-1 visa journey is done. I'll add another entry post-interview.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by djv-tco
ROC
18-Jul-2016: I-751 mailed via USPS
21-Jul-2016: Received at California Lockbox
21-Jul-2016: I-797 Notice of Action
25-Jul-2016: Cheque cashed
DONE with AOS! Journey took 241 days from US entry to the day I received my Green Card. goofy.gif
AOS
27-Feb-2014: US Entry
28-Feb-2014: Married
28-Feb-2014: I-485, I-765, I-131 sent via UPS
03-Mar-2014: Applied for SSN
07-Mar-2014: UPS package received by USCIS
11-Mar-2014: Received SSN
11-Mar-2014: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
12-Mar-2014: Cheque cashed
20-Mar-2014: Biometrics appointment (04-Apr) letter received
21-Mar-2014: Successful early walk-in for biometrics
21-Apr-2014: EAD & AP approved (email & text)
24-Apr-2014: Email notice received re: combo card mailed to my address
28-Apr-2014: EAD/AP combo card received
17-Oct-2014: Green card approved
25-Oct-2014: Green card received

Timeline

Yeah, I felt like I got the once-over and he didn't even look at my medical history I brought to him! I was in and out really quickly from Dr. Cheema's office. His exam was the fastest part of this entire immigration process - ha!

Applied for Naturalization based on 3-year Residency 

July 05, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed via USPS to Phoenix Lockbox

July 10, 2017 (Day 05) - NOA received

July 12, 2017 (Day 07) -  Check is cashed by USCIS

July 19, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics appointment letter mailed

August 02, 2017 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment at Seattle Field Office

August 28, 2017 (Day 54) - Case is "in line" for an interview"

August 28, 2018 (Day 419) - Interview is scheduled

October 4, 2018 (Day 462) - Citizenship Interview AND Oath (offered same day oath by ISO in Seattle, WA)

Officially a U.S. Citizen - Proud to be an American

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.