Hoosierland

I-864 and temp or part time jobs

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I am a bit concerned about filing the I-864 (possibly the EZ). My income, thru 2 jobs, is above the 125% I need to be my wife's sole sponsor, but upon deeper inspection may not seem sustainable. Last year I was volunteering for most of the year, did not make much and was claimed as a dependant on my parent's tax return. This year I have had a hard time finding regualr employment and have worked for a temp agency for most of the year, though most of it assigned to one company. I also have a PT job in retail.

My question is: how concerned should I be that NVC or the consulate (Nairobi) will dig into my finances and what can I do to bolster them. I do not want a cosponsor (don't like the idea of others having any pull in my life). I do have assets that can be liquidated and put in an account, but do I need that, and how much?

Also, what kind of letter should I get from a PT job and a temp agency? The ones I have seen here describe annual salary, that is kind of hard to determine with these jobs, should hourly be put in its place, or approximate earnings expected this year?

Thanks

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you hold assets that add up to enough to be useful, you do not have to liquidate them; they must be able to be liquidated inside of 12 months if required.

Annualize your hourly wage & use that figure.

Worst comes to worst, if you switched to FT in your retail job you'd make 125% wouldn't you?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
I am a bit concerned about filing the I-864 (possibly the EZ). My income, thru 2 jobs, is above the 125% I need to be my wife's sole sponsor, but upon deeper inspection may not seem sustainable. Last year I was volunteering for most of the year, did not make much and was claimed as a dependant on my parent's tax return. This year I have had a hard time finding regualr employment and have worked for a temp agency for most of the year, though most of it assigned to one company. I also have a PT job in retail.

My question is: how concerned should I be that NVC or the consulate (Nairobi) will dig into my finances and what can I do to bolster them. I do not want a cosponsor (don't like the idea of others having any pull in my life). I do have assets that can be liquidated and put in an account, but do I need that, and how much?

Also, what kind of letter should I get from a PT job and a temp agency? The ones I have seen here describe annual salary, that is kind of hard to determine with these jobs, should hourly be put in its place, or approximate earnings expected this year?

Thanks

I think if you have the 125%, you don't have to worry. It does not matter if the job is permanent or temp. A job is a job. Neither NVC nor the Kenya embassy will dig into your finances. NVC only checks with IRS to make sure the figures you submit are correct. I'll advice you call the IRS for your tax transcripts for the most current year - FY 2005 - I presume and use the same copies when filling the afidavit of support. You should be all set. Good luck!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Thanks for the replies. I can send my W2s from FY2005, but I was filed as a dependant in 2005 and did not make 125% then (I only returned to the US after volunteering for a year in Sept). I'll get letters from employers stating that my temp job is stable and long term, but that is the best I can do. Do you think that will help?

Anyway, I feel a bit better, thanks all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.