danielleNJ

employment letters for multiple jobs...advice please!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

hello VJers! hope everyone is having a good week.

fiance and i just got our case number from NVC yesterday. hoping it goes out to the embassy by the end of the week. the man on the phone said they'd be shipping out on friday!

this said, i've been working on gathering everything for packet 3. i currently work two full time jobs. one as a receptionist at a car dealership (since October 2011) and the other as waitress (since July 2011). i just received my W2's for both my jobs yesterday. i'm still waiting on my W2 from the job i had in florida before i moved to NJ this summer. my income taxes from 2011 do not show what i'm currently making because i've only been at my current jobs for a short time.

so here's my question:

i am getting employment letters from BOTH my current jobs. will the letter stating my current income (which is well above the required amount) and my W2's be sufficient? i'm almost positive that my income last year might not be sufficient enough (when i lived in florida i wasn't making much money, which is why i moved back to NJ) to grant me approval without a co-sponsor?

i'm sorry if this is confusing! basically i just want to know if the letters state what my yearly income is even though my W2's don't show the full amount because i've only been at my jobs a short time will be okay?

thanks for all your help everyone :)

danielle

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

What you want are letters that state your annual salary not your current income. If your 2011 W-2's don't show that you earned more than 125% of the poverty level for your family size you might want to consider sending in your 2010 return also (if it shows you were above the level then).

Some Aussie member should come along and give you something more specific to what the consulate is looking for.

Timeline

What you want are letters that state your annual salary not your current income. If your 2011 W-2's don't show that you earned more than 125% of the poverty level for your family size you might want to consider sending in your 2010 return also (if it shows you were above the level then).

Some Aussie member should come along and give you something more specific to what the consulate is looking for.

The letters I will get from both my employers will state my annual salary, which is above the required amount. On my 2010 tax return, I was not above the required amount. With my current salary I make more than enough. But none of my tax returns show it because I've only had these jobs for less than 6 months.

Timeline

For the I-134 if the letters from your employers show sufficient income you should be fine. I sent a letter from my bank as well, just to be safe. The instructions say copies of any of the documents listed.

Your difficulty (if any) may come when you have to file for AOS and submit the I-864 which requires you to state your adjusted gross income for the most recent three tax years. For the I-864 they will accept evidence to support your "expected" income though.

If I were in your situation I would possibly look at options for a co-sponsor if needed. It would be nice to have one in your back pocket just in case you needed one. I'm only saying that this is what I would do not that you should.

Good luck to you! Hope your trip through NVC and the embassy are smooth.

Timeline

For the I-134 if the letters from your employers show sufficient income you should be fine. I sent a letter from my bank as well, just to be safe. The instructions say copies of any of the documents listed.

Your difficulty (if any) may come when you have to file for AOS and submit the I-864 which requires you to state your adjusted gross income for the most recent three tax years. For the I-864 they will accept evidence to support your "expected" income though.

If I were in your situation I would possibly look at options for a co-sponsor if needed. It would be nice to have one in your back pocket just in case you needed one. I'm only saying that this is what I would do not that you should.

Good luck to you! Hope your trip through NVC and the embassy are smooth.

Thank you so much for your advice. I'll still be including the last 3 years tax returns along with my employment letters. Do you think I'd need a co-sponsor for the NVC/Embassy stage or just for AOS? The only year in question is really 2010. I think my 2011 will be fine! How does it work with the "expected" income?

I'm getting a bit panicky :(

Timeline

First of all DON'T PANIC!

I'm not an expert on the process through the consulate in Sydney but I do know that each IV unit looks at this part of the process a little differently. Someone like Vanessa&Tony would have much better input here than I.

If your annual salary (combined from the two employers) is more than 125% of the poverty level for your household size and this amount is accurately represented on the two letters you will be sending with the I-134 then I think you will be fine. So I do not think you will need a co-sponsor at this stage. Remember though that the I-134 is used for some non-immigrant visas and is not a long term binding contract. The I-864 is actually a contract between the sponsor and the US government. So from what I understand the evidence supplied with an I-864 is scrutinized more critically.

Expected income is what you can reasonably expect to earn in the future. So if you have just started a job and have a negotiated salary and a stable work history then you could reasonably expect your salary to be X for that year and in to the future. A letter from your employer supports "expected" income.

Secondly, DON'T PANIC!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.