doodlebug

Casa

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

All I can do is say my prayers that Casa will not be bad for my husband. So far, my prayers have been answered in other things. I have read the embassy reviews for Casa and I don't know why some of the co's there have to be so difficult.

Lavon

Lavon USA

Othman MOROCCO

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
All I can do is say my prayers that Casa will not be bad for my husband. So far, my prayers have been answered in other things. I have read the embassy reviews for Casa and I don't know why some of the co's there have to be so difficult.

Lavon

Lavon, yes it is scary but the least you can do is be very well prepared. Good luck,

Sarah

Timeline

Sarah, you are so right about being prepared . By being prepared a person can feel more confident and not feel at a total lost. It really helps to read the reviews that others have posted about their experience at the consulate in casa.

Lavon

Lavon USA

Othman MOROCCO

Timeline

Lavon

Lavon, yes it is scary but the least you can do is be very well prepared. Good luck,

Sarah

When you say well prepared, what exactly do you mean?

If you mean prepared with evidence, this is what I sent Hamid (well, I tried to send it via us mail, but they told me there was a hold on a mail going to morocco. and actually something i sent at the beginning of august got returned yesterday, so I scanned everything and emailed it to him): emails from 2004 - present (about 40 pages total, in 10 pt font), a few chats (not much because we use the cam and mic), phone card orders, photocopied journal entries from 2003-2004, plane ticket stub, passport page photocopy, flight itenerary, documents from the Peace Corps and Moroccan government that confirm the dates I lived in Morocco and what it was I did while there, he has a letter too from the Moroccan government that states that I lived with his family, tons of pictures, the ring receipt. I also sent him every financial form imaginable, including the i-485 (or whatever the number is), my tax transcripts from the last three years, bank statements from the last 12 months, letters from employers, documents proving my assests and life insurance. Is there anything else I'm forgetting about?

If you mean prepared to answer questions about our relationship, what kinds of questions should he be prepared to answer? i mean, should he know my sister's date of birth? should he know where I worked 2 years ago and how much I got paid? will it go that in depth? or will they ask simple stuff like "what's her father's name and what does he do for a living?" should he be prepared to tell them about my birthmarks? I have no idea what they would ask him, if it will be personal/private things or general things.

is there anything else I should be prepared for? Thanks!

timeline doesn't matter.

Timeline

Lavon

Sarah

If you mean prepared with evidence, this is what I sent Hamid (well, I tried to send it via us mail, but they told me there was a hold on a mail going to morocco. and actually something i sent at the beginning of august got returned yesterday, so I scanned everything and emailed it to him): emails from 2004 - present (about 40 pages total, in 10 pt font), a few chats (not much because we use the cam and mic), phone card orders, photocopied journal entries from 2003-2004, plane ticket stub, passport page photocopy, flight itenerary, documents from the Peace Corps and Moroccan government that confirm the dates I lived in Morocco and what it was I did while there, he has a letter too from the Moroccan government that states that I lived with his family, tons of pictures, the ring receipt. I also sent him every financial form imaginable, including the i-485 (or whatever the number is), my tax transcripts from the last three years, bank statements from the last 12 months, letters from employers, documents proving my assests and life insurance. Is there anything else I'm forgetting about?

If you mean prepared to answer questions about our relationship, what kinds of questions should he be prepared to answer? i mean, should he know my sister's date of birth? should he know where I worked 2 years ago and how much I got paid? will it go that in depth? or will they ask simple stuff like "what's her father's name and what does he do for a living?" should he be prepared to tell them about my birthmarks? I have no idea what they would ask him, if it will be personal/private things or general things.

Hicham and I went over lots of questions and I drilled him several times for about 2 weeks before the interview. I know there is a list of questions floating around here. In the interview they asked Hicham where I live, my DOB what I do when I visited what he sent me for my birthday (nothing but he said earrings- what a smart boy!)... then they asked him about my family- where they live what they do etc actually there were equal questions about my family than about me. When I say prepared I mean have everything organized and ready to shove it in their faces but also to make sure he knows everything especially exact dates cause they can ask anything there! But if you think about it even if it seems like oh they will never ask that it's better that he knows everything because what if they ask him and he doesn't know the answer and they look at that as him not knowing you well or something bad. Better to know everything even if it is overkill if you ask me. Good luck!

Filed: Timeline

In preparing for the interview, we sat and discussed our "red flags" to prepare him for what they might ask. They did ask him about 2 of them.

And to doodlebug, yes Cairo has its own speed so best not to compare to other consulates. As Bosco said, they are thorough but are not denial- or return-happy (hope to god we're not going to break that trend). It's been 13 months since I submitted the I-129F. Be prepared for a wait but I hope its not so long for you.

Edited by just_waiting

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

CASA, CASA, CASA.... it's almost like a cussword now :P

Shut the Casa up, Noura. :P

:lol:

Ok giggle all ya want, I seriously had no clue. :P

So you really think Cairo is easier than Casa? 'cause I'm noticing a LOT of Egyptians whose time is on average about a year from start to finish and I didn't think it took that long for the Casa peeps.

Everyone here knows the scoop well. It is faster than Cairo if your case is standard, but have one little red flag and poof...sent back to CIS. In that case it isn't faster at all! I started this back in December of 2004, so going on 2 years now.

Casa just doesn't want to deal with the red flags, they would rather send it back and put the strain on everyone else so they don't have to deal with it. I heard they complain they are overworked, but come on guys....in the end you spend more time with each case by sending it back!

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Everyone here knows the scoop well. It is faster than Cairo if your case is standard, but have one little red flag and poof...sent back to CIS. In that case it isn't faster at all! I started this back in December of 2004, so going on 2 years now.

Casa just doesn't want to deal with the red flags, they would rather send it back and put the strain on everyone else so they don't have to deal with it. I heard they complain they are overworked, but come on guys....in the end you spend more time with each case by sending it back!

What are the red flags?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What are the red flags?

1. A very brief courtship followed by a plunge into matrimony;

2. A marriage ceremony arranged only a short time after petitioner arrives in the beneficiary’s country and they meet for the first time;

3. No common language;

4. Petitioner resides with family members of the beneficiary in the US;

5. Petitioner is employed by or has a business relationship with a relative of beneficiary;

6. Petitioner submits phone records that show he uses a residential phone number that is listed in the name of another person.

7. US divorce followed very quickly by an engagement to foreign beneficiary is often a red flag for consular officers.

8. There is little or no documentary evidence of the relationship prior to the actual engagement.

9. Long gaps of time between the petitioner & beneficiary being together in person.

10. Failure to disclose previous marriages;

11. Failure to disclose previous petitions filed on behalf of other beneficiaries.

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0323-ellis.shtm

ETA: The above are general red flags applicable to all countries. In the MENA, I would add to that large age diffference (female USC older) and USC female divorced.

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1. A very brief courtship followed by a plunge into matrimony; check :whistle:

2. A marriage ceremony arranged only a short time after petitioner arrives in the beneficiary’s country and they meet for the first time; check :whistle:

3. No common language;

4. Petitioner resides with family members of the beneficiary in the US;

5. Petitioner is employed by or has a business relationship with a relative of beneficiary;

6. Petitioner submits phone records that show he uses a residential phone number that is listed in the name of another person.

7. US divorce followed very quickly by an engagement to foreign beneficiary is often a red flag for consular officers.

8. There is little or no documentary evidence of the relationship prior to the actual engagement.

9. Long gaps of time between the petitioner & beneficiary being together in person. color=#FF0000]well duh...it's like 1/2 way around the world. :wacko: [/color]

10. Failure to disclose previous marriages;

11. Failure to disclose previous petitions filed on behalf of other beneficiaries.

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0323-ellis.shtm

ETA: The above are general red flags applicable to all countries. In the MENA, I would add to that large age diffference (female USC older) and USC female divorced. niiiice....i'm 6 1/2 yrs older than him and i'm divorced. :thumbs:

I wonder what is "brief" though. In my mind less than a year is brief but maybe they dont' think that.

Edited by doodlebug

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

It's hard to know what they think a "short coutship before marriage" is but yes less than a year seems like a short while also. Hicham and I got engaged after 15 months of knowing eachother which still seems short to me but who knows what they think in Casa. I'm sure they mean within a couple of months which is short!

Lavon

Sarah

Liz, generally speaking if you have to "drill" or practice questions with him then there is a problem. If he knows you and your family, he will know how to answer the questions. If he doesn't know you, he won't. Truth is, a few missed questions (i.e. he may not remember your mother's maiden name or somesuch) will not reflect badly if it is obvious that he knows you from a natural connection (i.e. you guys met at your homestay in Morocco) and that the relationship is real, and can answer the other questions. When Casa encounters a robot, answering questions from rote memory, they notice. I say this from lots of experience being in the Consulate and hearing very nervous K-1 applicants try to answer questions.

I say, be natural. Let him depend on his natural knowledge of you and your life.

By the way, I was in PC too. That connection will help you immensely. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Liz, generally speaking if you have to "drill" or practice questions with him then there is a problem. If he knows you and your family, he will know how to answer the questions. If he doesn't know you, he won't. Truth is, a few missed questions (i.e. he may not remember your mother's maiden name or somesuch) will not reflect badly if it is obvious that he knows you from a natural connection (i.e. you guys met at your homestay in Morocco) and that the relationship is real, and can answer the other questions. When Casa encounters a robot, answering questions from rote memory, they notice. I say this from lots of experience being in the Consulate and hearing very nervous K-1 applicants try to answer questions.

I say, be natural. Let him depend on his natural knowledge of you and your life.

I agree. I know Wadi messed up some answers because he was nervous. For instance, he blanked on my father's name even though he most definitely knew it! BUT he had pictures of all of us when my father came to visit us and we traveled around Italy together. I think showing these outweighed the fact that he slipped up.

We didn't rehearse at all.

Timeline

I disagree with you. Casa asked Hicham my parents address and my brothers birthdate. They asked him that because they expect him to know otherwise why would they ask? They don't want to hear "I don't know the answer to that" that makes it look like they don't know the personal that well. Hicham did have to memorize birthdates, addresses etc. and boy am I glad he did. He knew my Mother's maiden name, he knew addresses, birthdates, what everyone does etc. KNowing lots of info doesn't automatically make someone a robot- it's up to the person to control how they act inside the Consulate and I'm sure it's normal for someone to be nervous. Hicham thanked me for a long time for making him memorize that stuff. He didn't know my family and had never met them before the interview but I always talked about them but that doesn't mean he would know when they were born, maiden name, address... why would he need to know that otherwise? Some people are not good under pressure and can forget everything they know if put into that situation. I see nothing wrong with being prepared and yes drilling them with possible questions to help them be prepared, even if they already know the answer it's just to make sure they are ready. Casa can ask anything and I don't think it's a good idea to tell your fiance to just be honest and if they don't know don't wory about it. Iw ould be be worried! I would make sure they know everything going int here and work on how they answer, and try to make them relax.

After the interview Hicham said it went really well he answered everything and was calm. He said good thing we went over stuff before he went. He was put on AP/AR for one week.

I remember someone saying "my fiance doesn't know dates very well" and I think they were asked for the certificate from Spain. I just think it's better to know this stuff than to risk being asked something you can't answer. I see nothing wrong with "memorizing" dates that one was in Morocco etc.

Edited by sarah and hicham

Timeline

I wanted to add something else here, sorry.

I think that if someone doesn't know anything about your family before the interview then yes that is definitely a problem. That's when you wonder why the USC didn't bring it up and why the Moroccan didn't ask about it. If you have to present all kinds of new information to them before the interview then that's not really a good thing I don't think. Ok that's all, good luck everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.