Joe's Wife 4ever

Renewal of Philippine passport

8 posts in this topic

Not sure where to put this topic BUT anyway, my passport is expiring May of 2012. I researched online but got so confused as to what to do.

1. I know I cannot renew passport in the Miami consulate anymore (I live in FL) so I have to go to D.C. Flying is not that cheap plus hotel and food and transportation when we get there and more expensive than the passport fee. Some say I can renew it by mail if I tried calling, I haven't coz of the holiday. Is this true? (nowhere in the Philippine embassy website that says this but just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything)

2. We are planning to fly to Manila probably April of this year. I thought of waiting until we get there and renew it there, way cheaper even the expedite processing. The only question we have is that: would they let me in if I have a passport that is not 6 months valid upon travelling? Waaaa... I work for a major cruise line company and they advise guest to bring passports as travel documentation that is 6 months valid upon completion of cruise. I am really confused and scared. I don't want to book a flight and then end up, they won't let me in (immigration won't let me in because of my passport) I need advise real bad. Thanks in advance.

~ Ledy

Nov. 28, 07 - Arrived in US with my asawa

Dec. 8. 07 - Received my SSC through mail

Jan. 19, 08 - Received welcome notice from USCIS 3x

Jan. 25, 08 - Got my GC

Sept. 4, 08 - Jody, our baby arrived

~Removal of condition Time line~

Aug. 5, 09 - Reminder letter from USCIS regarding my immigration status received

Sept. 8, 2009 - Sent I-751

Sept. 11, 2009 - Mail delivered to VT

Sept. 18, 2009 - NOA1 & extension letter DATED 09/14/09

Sept. 25, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received

Oct. 14, 2009 - Early biometrics

Oct. 15, 2009 - Touched

Oct. 23, 2009 - Scheduled biometrics

Dec. 31, 2009 - Approval letter received dated 12/24/09

Jan. 08, 2010 - Card production ordered

Jan. 19, 2010 - GC received

~Naturalization Timeline~

April 30, 2018 - Filed N400 online

May 1, 2018 - NOA

May 21, 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

Feb. 5, 2019 - Interview and Oath Ceremony Combined

~Tatay's I-130 Journey~

March 8, 2019 - Filed I-130 for Tatay

March 15, 2019 - check cashed

a4tv.jpgyVHim7.png
btUi.jpgpvDTm7.png

Try to email the nearest embassy if they have an scheduled Consular Outreach neare you before March 2012... I suggest you do it here rather than in the Philippines... you can never be sure of the passport processing there... I renewed my passport November 2010 and it took me more than a month to get my new passport.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not sure where to put this topic BUT anyway, my passport is expiring May of 2012. I researched online but got so confused as to what to do.

1. I know I cannot renew passport in the Miami consulate anymore (I live in FL) so I have to go to D.C. Flying is not that cheap plus hotel and food and transportation when we get there and more expensive than the passport fee. Some say I can renew it by mail if I tried calling, I haven't coz of the holiday. Is this true? (nowhere in the Philippine embassy website that says this but just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything)

2. We are planning to fly to Manila probably April of this year. I thought of waiting until we get there and renew it there, way cheaper even the expedite processing. The only question we have is that: would they let me in if I have a passport that is not 6 months valid upon travelling? Waaaa... I work for a major cruise line company and they advise guest to bring passports as travel documentation that is 6 months valid upon completion of cruise. I am really confused and scared. I don't want to book a flight and then end up, they won't let me in (immigration won't let me in because of my passport) I need advise real bad. Thanks in advance.

You cannot renew by mail because the new passports have biometrics imbedded inside. Your digital picture needs to be taken at the passport station.

The Philippine embassy has an outreach program where embassy staff travel to various cities performing passports, recording births and recording of foreign marriages etc. We are in Panama city and went last year to the embassy outreach in Montgomery Alabama, a 3 hour drive. Keep checking the Philippine embassy website (below) for a visit close to you. Appointments fill fast so call as soon as it is available. Be sure to read the directions on things and documents to bring to the appointment. Cities to be visited are usually listed under "announcements". This is the holiday season so it may be a couple of weeks before they announce the cities to be visited.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/

Edited by gary9891

Try to email the nearest embassy if they have an scheduled Consular Outreach neare you before March 2012... I suggest you do it here rather than in the Philippines... you can never be sure of the passport processing there... I renewed my passport November 2010 and it took me more than a month to get my new passport.

Thanks. I just sent an email to the embassy in DC. Nothing in the home page about the outreach schedule but will check periodically. Salamat po

~ Ledy

Jan. 25, 08 - Got my GC

Aug. 5, 09 - Reminder letter from USCIS regarding my immigration status received

Oct. 15, 2009 - Touched

May 1, 2018 - NOA

~Tatay's I-130 Journey~

a4tv.jpgyVHim7.png
btUi.jpgpvDTm7.png

You cannot renew by mail because the new passports have biometrics imbedded inside. Your digital picture needs to be taken at the passport station.

The Philippine embassy has an outreach program where embassy staff travel to various cities performing passports, recording births and recording of foreign marriages etc. We are in Panama city and went last year to the embassy outreach in Montgomery Alabama, a 3 hour drive. Keep checking the Philippine embassy website (below) for a visit close to you. Appointments fill fast so call as soon as it is available. Be sure to read the directions on things and documents to bring to the appointment. Cities to be visited are usually listed under "announcements". This is the holiday season so it may be a couple of weeks before they announce the cities to be visited.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/

Thanks. I just went and checked the website, nothing about outreach yet but will check again and hopefully before the trip that we are planning. I am just a bit concern of flying to DC and spend a fortune when we will be going to the Philippines anyway. LOL Hopefully, I can find out something, will continue researching and that's why I posted here for some input :)

~ Ledy

Jan. 25, 08 - Got my GC

Oct. 15, 2009 - Touched

May 1, 2018 - NOA

~Tatay's I-130 Journey~

a4tv.jpgyVHim7.png
btUi.jpgpvDTm7.png

Latest from the Philippine Consulate in NY website FAQ: http://www.pcgny.net/2009/passport.html#P7

My passport has less than six (6) months validity. Can I still use this for international travel?

It is strongly recommended that you renew your passport immediately if it has less than six months validity left.

While travel to the Philippines on expiring passports is allowed for Philippine Passport holders (as they are considered returning residents) some airlines may require a letter from the Consulate, as assurance. Call 212-764-1330 ext 321 to secure a letter to the airline (free of charge, upon submission of appropriate documents). However, departure from the Philippines on a passport with less than six months validity will NOT be allowed by the Bureau of Immigration. It is therefore suggested that the travel apply for a new passport while in the Philippines.

Travel to other destinations, however, may not be possible if the passport has less than six months validity, as some ports of entry may bar the traveler from entering their borders using an expiring passport. The airline will then be fined for allowing the traveler to board their craft. Some countries require as much as 18 months validity on the passport. It is best to consult the appropriate Embassies and Consulates for the most up-to-date information.

---> Does this means that I am safe if I plan to go back to the Philippines, visit my family and while there renew philippine passport (they have expedite or rush processing for 7 working days) and go back to US (ohh, I'm a 10 yrs green card holder if that will help)

~ Ledy

Jan. 25, 08 - Got my GC

Oct. 15, 2009 - Touched

May 1, 2018 - NOA

~Tatay's I-130 Journey~

a4tv.jpgyVHim7.png
btUi.jpgpvDTm7.png

---> Does this means that I am safe if I plan to go back to the Philippines, visit my family and while there renew philippine passport (they have expedite or rush processing for 7 working days) and go back to US (ohh, I'm a 10 yrs green card holder if that will help)

You have to check the passport processing time nowadays... from my experience last year, you need to make an appointment online for a passport processing, unlike before that you can just walk in any DFA and fall in line. I decided to renew my passport Nov 5, 2010 and the earliest appointment date I got was Dec 28, 2010, I received my passport though 10 days after (not expedite)

If your travel time is definite in March, why don't you fill up an appointment now... here is the link: http://dfa.gov.ph/main/index.php/consular-services/passport/passport-appointment

This way you can be sure you already have an appointment before going home.

Goodluck!

You have to check the passport processing time nowadays... from my experience last year, you need to make an appointment online for a passport processing, unlike before that you can just walk in any DFA and fall in line. I decided to renew my passport Nov 5, 2010 and the earliest appointment date I got was Dec 28, 2010, I received my passport though 10 days after (not expedite)

If your travel time is definite in March, why don't you fill up an appointment now... here is the link: http://dfa.gov.ph/main/index.php/consular-services/passport/passport-appointment

This way you can be sure you already have an appointment before going home.

Goodluck!

Thanks! I went and checked for appointment but they don't have any open yet for April. Will check and still do research and will make phone calls after tomorrow when office are back to normal hours. Thanks again :)

Edited by Lhedyjoe

~ Ledy

Jan. 25, 08 - Got my GC

Oct. 15, 2009 - Touched

May 1, 2018 - NOA

~Tatay's I-130 Journey~

a4tv.jpgyVHim7.png
btUi.jpgpvDTm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.