Dave-n-Oksana

Need some Assistance

45 posts in this topic

I am writing a paper for college class about how gun control does not reduce violent crimes and I am needing some statistic to back up my arguments. So considering how all the topics in the RUB turns to guns (or pie) I thought I would ask our panel of experts for assistance to point me in the right directions.

I am looking for statistics of gun ownership from 1991 until 2010. Plus any other points of reference that may be handy (i.e. Gun Owners preventing crime).

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

P.S. As for the anti-gun crowd, any condemnation to the topic will not be welcome as this is for a grade and not a forum debate. If you wish to debate this topic, take it somewhere else.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago,and Washington DC both have/had super tight gun control laws and both have a crime rate off the hook along with gun related crimes. California comes to mind also....super tight gun control laws with a very high crime rate. I don't have the links...google will work, but I'm guessing Gary has a few links to those statistics and a few more.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Take the numbers from the DOJ themselves. The government doesn't lie!

Number of NICS background checks goes up every year, meaning there are more guns on the streets -

Number of Checks

Yet crime keeps going down -

That's impossible!

The numbers don't lie. In the absence of gun control, crime goes down. There's a book out there called "More guns, less crime" that may be a good source as well.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Chicago,and Washington DC both have/had super tight gun control laws and both have a crime rate off the hook along with gun related crimes. California comes to mind also....super tight gun control laws with a very high crime rate. I don't have the links...google will work, but I'm guessing Gary has a few links to those statistics and a few more.

Thanks for the replies. I have been so focused on the 20 year statistics that I lost focus to other sources and statistics to use.

Number of NICS background checks goes up every year, meaning there are more guns on the streets -

Number of Checks

That's impossible!

The numbers don't lie. In the absence of gun control, crime goes down. There's a book out there called "More guns, less crime" that may be a good source as well.

Thanks for the link Slim. I will be checking it out. Also I have run across references to that book many times, but have been having difficulty locating it.

Detroit's homicide rate is up this year. 12% unemployment can be just one of the factors.

September 7, 2009 - met Lena online
October 20, 2010 - First Meeting in Kharkov
Oct 20, 2010 - Engaged
December 3, 2010 - Filed I-129F
December 16, 2010 - NOA-1 notification
December 30, 2010 - Second Visit to Kharkov
February 8, 2011 - Touched
April 18, 2011 - NOA-2 notification
April 18, 2011 - Petition at NVC
April 25, 2011 - Medical Exam
April 26, 2011 - Received at Embassy
April 27, 28, 29, 2011 - Repeat medical (passed medical)
May 5, 2011 - Packet #4 received by mail in Ukraine
June 17, 2011 - Interview scheduled 9:00 AM
June 17, 2011 - Visa approved
June 18, 2011 - Interview Review posted
July 11, 2011 - POE - Detroit
July 17, 2011 - Applied for Marriage License
July 17, 2011 - Applied for SSN
August 17, 2011 - Married in Russian Orthodox Church - Detroit
November 11, 2011 - Submitted AOS/EAD/AP
January 3, 2012 - NOA 1
February 7, 2012 - Still no Biometrics appointment
February 10, 2012 - Service Request - no Biometrics appointment to date
February 29, 2012 - Infopass appointment Detroit (no Biometrics appointment letter - over 40 days)
March 9, 2012 - Biometrics
March 12, 2012 - EAD card production email received
March 23, 2012 - EAD received
March 24, 2012 - AOS interview appointment for April 24, 2012 (Detroit)
April 24, 2012 - AOS approved!
May 2, 2012 - 2 year provisional Green Card received
June 2, 2012 - First job - Russian Kindergarden in Oak Park, Michigan

Feb 5, 2014 - I-751 sent

Sept 19, 2014 - RFE

Nov 3, 2014 - Case moved to Detroit Field Office

Dec 29, 2014 - ROC Interview - Detroit Field Office

Feb 16, 2015 - I-751 approved after 2nd interview

Feb 18, 2015 - I 551 stamp in passport

Mar 5, 2015 - 10 year Permanent Resident Status

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am writing a paper for college class about how gun control does not reduce violent crimes and I am needing some statistic to back up my arguments. So considering how all the topics in the RUB turns to guns (or pie) I thought I would ask our panel of experts for assistance to point me in the right directions.

I am looking for statistics of gun ownership from 1991 until 2010. Plus any other points of reference that may be handy (i.e. Gun Owners preventing crime).

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

P.S. As for the anti-gun crowd, any condemnation to the topic will not be welcome as this is for a grade and not a forum debate. If you wish to debate this topic, take it somewhere else.

Google "More Guns, Less Crime" It is an exhaustive study of the effects of gun control and concealed carry. It was published by a University of Chicago professor and has been updated several times. Very excellent study, it has never been discredited and used FBI Uniform Crime Report stats for each county in the USA. This study has been the main reason we have gone from 5 states that allowed concealed carry to 49 states allowing it between 1986 and 2011.

Also google NRA or "American Rifleman" and check out "The Armed Citizen" these are newspaper and police blotter articles of the use of firearms to prevent crime. They print dozens of them every month and have been doing so since the 1950s.

I don;t post links, Kip, but I will tell someone what to look up. Google is thy friend!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Google "More Guns, Less Crime" It is an exhaustive study of the effects of gun control and concealed carry. It was published by a University of Chicago professor and has been updated several times. Very excellent study, it has never been discredited and used FBI Uniform Crime Report stats for each county in the USA. This study has been the main reason we have gone from 5 states that allowed concealed carry to 49 states allowing it between 1986 and 2011.

Also google NRA or "American Rifleman" and check out "The Armed Citizen" these are newspaper and police blotter articles of the use of firearms to prevent crime. They print dozens of them every month and have been doing so since the 1950s.

I don;t post links, Kip, but I will tell someone what to look up. Google is thy friend!

Go directly to the NRA. Of course, you're a member.

Number of Checks

That's impossible!

A question on the NICS data. Are these numbers the checks performed or the number of approved checks?

A question on the NICS data. Are these numbers the checks performed or the number of approved checks?

I'd have to look through the exact numbers and figures but from what I understand there's only a 1.3% (appx.) denial rate on all checks. So, I'm guessing those are the number of requests. To be safe, say 2% result in denials and that'd give you your "exact" figures of how many guns are approved. I'm sure if you call the FBI (or BATFE) they'd give you the most current and accurate figures. (After being redirected 12 times and spending four days on hold.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Total requests. As Slim mentions denial rate is very small (and most of those eventually get approved, about 70% according to the FBI)it is not an issue in a paper such as yours though...

An approval is valid for that dealer for 5 days. It generally indicates the sale of at least one firearm per check but there could be multiple firearm sales to a buyer and there could be additional sales within the next 5 days and there could be people that back out of a sale and never complete a sale. It simply cannot be used to pin down an exact number, so do not try.

It is a GUAGE of firearms sales. A 32% increase in checks is indicitive of a corresponding 32% increase in sales but not indicitive of a particular number of firearms. There is no method to count total sales in the United States and that is by design.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Total requests. As Slim mentions denial rate is very small (and most of those eventually get approved, about 70% according to the FBI)it is not an issue in a paper such as yours though...

An approval is valid for that dealer for 5 days. It generally indicates the sale of at least one firearm per check but there could be multiple firearm sales to a buyer and there could be additional sales within the next 5 days and there could be people that back out of a sale and never complete a sale. It simply cannot be used to pin down an exact number, so do not try.

It is a GUAGE of firearms sales. A 32% increase in checks is indicitive of a corresponding 32% increase in sales but not indicitive of a particular number of firearms. There is no method to count total sales in the United States and that is by design.

Well, I think "Fast and Furious" and the "gun walking" tainted the BATF and FBI databases. Just how idiotic can these jokers get?

Timeline

Well, I think "Fast and Furious" and the "gun walking" tainted the BATF and FBI databases. Just how idiotic can these jokers get?

True, by about a total of 2000 sales, maybe a little less as most of those were multiple gun sales. On the other hand there were 129,000 requests just on the day after Thanksgiving

Gary And Alla

there could be multiple firearm sales to a buyer and there could be additional sales within the next 5 days and there could be people that back out of a sale and never complete a sale. It simply cannot be used to pin down an exact number, so do not try.

In October I had a NICS check done to purchase a hunting rifle. Before the check was complete (it can take up to three business days) I decided not to complete the sale. That will still be counted as one check.

Later in the year I purchased a handgun from a private seller who shipped it from his FFL dealer to my FFL dealer to comply with shipping and transfer requirements. A NICS check was performed in accordance with DOJ regulations. The very same day I bought a shotgun from a different private seller in a face to face meeting. There was no NICS check accomplished because none was required by DOJ. These two gun sales constituted a total of one NICS check.

In 2011 I bought or sold over a dozen guns and only two NICS checks were accomplished. Compare/contrast that with my little brother who purchased two rifles, both of which required NICS checks. Keep in mind someone like my nephew who owned a shotgun but it was confiscated by the local police when his house was raided. No check was done there, but thats -1 for the gun count.

As Gary's pointed out, there is no "official" count of firearms or owners of firearms in the US. NRA, US Health Department, Brady Campaign, etc., all estimate there are somewhere around 200 million guns possessed by over 80 million gun owners and that number is growing every day.

Time to head to the range!

Русский форум член.

True, by about a total of 2000 sales, maybe a little less as most of those were multiple gun sales. On the other hand there were 129,000 requests just on the day after Thanksgiving

What gets me about Fast and Furious is the cartels use grenades and rocket launchers, fully automatic machine guns, mines, armored vehicles, etc., and yet we're led to believe "illegal gun sales" from gun shops and shows in the US are "part of the problem."

Sorry, but anyone with GDP money doesn't need to "walk" our semiautos across their borders. I'm sickened by the fact that american idiots are ignorant enough to buy into that #######.

I'll be more sickened when the UN passes the prohibition on small arms ownership by civilians.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.