londonguy

nearly ready to apply for interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All again,

I have now received my police cert and have also had my medical. I am just waiting to see which is the best way for me to go with the Aferdavit of support forms (who sponsors me and do we need a co sponsor) and then i am set.

Can you tell me or rather confirm that once i have filled in this I-864 (and I-864a if needed) I just need to send in the Applicants Ready form that i have and the checklist. No other forms are needed to be sent at this stage when requesting an interview date?

kind regards,

Londonguy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Does the checklist not list what is required prior to the interview? We had to fax the checklist to the consulate and on it was clearly listed what you needed to have compiled prior to the interview.

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Timeline
Hi All again,

I have now received my police cert and have also had my medical. I am just waiting to see which is the best way for me to go with the Aferdavit of support forms (who sponsors me and do we need a co sponsor) and then i am set.

Can you tell me or rather confirm that once i have filled in this I-864 (and I-864a if needed) I just need to send in the Applicants Ready form that i have and the checklist. No other forms are needed to be sent at this stage when requesting an interview date?

kind regards,

Londonguy

You've got it, LG. In fact, if you know you will have the I-864 "soon" there is nothing criminal about returning your 'ready to interview' papers now.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

You've got it, LG. In fact, if you know you will have the I-864 "soon" there is nothing criminal about returning your 'ready to interview' papers now.

cool, thanks.

Once again though i am looking at a form that seems to be quite an old one! Does that matter or do i need to get an updated version online and send that instead?

checklist is "instructions for Immigrant visa application" (2 sided) and the other is "Applicant's statement" (1 page)

Timeline

cool, thanks.

Once again though i am looking at a form that seems to be quite an old one! Does that matter or do i need to get an updated version online and send that instead?

checklist is "instructions for Immigrant visa application" (2 sided) and the other is "Applicant's statement" (1 page)

Form version: up to you. The new form looks like it's easier to understand/complete. If you do the old one, you're hardcore. <g>

IOW: it doesn't matter aka 'your choice'.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

thanks again.

Can you point me in the right direction to get an understanding of the tax forms and W2 that my wife has to show. This is going to be impossible as all work she has ever done, except a sat job, has been in corporate UK.

I have tax info and copies of forms from 2 household members for I-864a but not for main sponsor.

cheers

E

Filed: Timeline
thanks again.

Can you point me in the right direction to get an understanding of the tax forms and W2 that my wife has to show. This is going to be impossible as all work she has ever done, except a sat job, has been in corporate UK.

I have tax info and copies of forms from 2 household members for I-864a but not for main sponsor.

cheers

E

She obviously won't have W2s from her UK employers, and the IRS doesn't ask for P60s/P45s. However, she will need her tax returns. Our form indicated they wanted tax returns from the last three years but at the actual interview all they wanted was 2005.

Your wife should have been filing 1040s and 2555/2555EZs every year she has been in the UK and working. If she hasn't, well...y'all have bigger problems than the I-864.

If she has not filed her tax returns she will need to do so immediately. She will also need to call the IRS to discuss any possible penalties that may result from failing to file. If she has always earned less than the foreign earned income exemption they probably won't care if she files late, but if she hasn't filed SHE MUST DO SO BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE since once you get back to the US if she isn't up to date on her taxes you guys will have huge problems. US citizens are required to file income tax returns with the IRS every year no matter where they live. The US is one of only a few countries with this requirement.

If she has filed her income taxes but doesn't have the physical returns then she can order transcripts from the IRS. They take about 20 days to arrive in the UK and from what I hear on this board, they are acceptable at interview.

I filed a 1040/2555-EZ late and was assured by the IRS themselves that it wasn't a problem, but without the tax returns you may be denied at the interview for incomplete documentation.

Good luck.

Edited by homesick_american

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline
i have to say now, i am gutted about that news.

all gone a bit cloudy again

Well here is Miss Mary Sunshine with more information. First things lg, you've got to start getting the complete information before you draw a conclusion. Have you read about the I-864 on London's site? They have information geared toward people in your situation.

#1: did your USC file her tax returns each year she's been in the UK?

If not, were her earnings so low that filing was not required per the IRS? If so, document that and submit.

If her earning level is such that she should have been filing, she can still do so. The IRS in London is reputed to be very helpful. She is not taxed twice on her foreign income (the first $80k anyway).

#2: you have the Joint Sponsor to fall back on. This will not excuse your wife from filing her returns if required, but may help you get over this stage of the game.

I do not see "huge" problems here.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.