gtigiant

Job Status/changing jobs question

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Ok, I am starting a new job next week (hurray me) that requires me to relocate. However, it is a 90 to perm position. For the first 90 days I am going to be a consultant with an open contract for the client to hire me directly without penalty from the consulting company. This is pretty standard procedure in the IT industry these days with higher risk positions.

So, this leads me to the question, since I know my employer is probably going to change in the next 3 to 4 months, even though I will most likely be sitting in the same exact desk (and be making the same exact salary), should I wait to begin the petition? Or can I just file an addendum when my employer changes? How much will this run the risk of hosing the process?

Thanx :)

.oO - Jake & Kathe - Oo.

the significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them - Einstein

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure which angle from which you're asking the question so I'm putting a few things out there, hoping I'll hit the mark.

If you're relocating physically, I'd wait until you've moved (or at least have an address to put on the application) so you know you'll receive any mail. Misdirected mail is a huge pain and the cogs of USCIS don't always run smoothly with address changes. If it's only a week until you relocate, again, I'd wait.

The initial package asked for your employment history as part of your biographic info, but that's only for background check purposes...and you sign and date the G-325A form so as long as you provide current information for that date, you should be fine. So don't wait on that account.

Your employment letter, as part of your financial sponsorship paperwork, is required when your fiancée interviews at her consulate, not as part of the initial package. The consulate will have your initial package for reference, and if your employment letter is different from indicated, they may make note of it, but it's really not a huge factor. They will 'get' that things change over time. So again, don't wait on the initial petition on that account.

As long as your employment income and assets put you above the poverty level requirements they indicate you should be fine. If they don't, you'll need a co-sponsor.

And a case in point, we didn't even have an employment letter (my USC fiancé was back at school and living off savings) for my K1 visa interview and we were approved no problem.

Hope that helps!

Edited by ceriserose

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

thanx a bundle. you answered my question perfectly. I didn't know if the current job changed if that was going to create issues/problems. I am waiting until I have a new 'permanant' address before I begin the filing process to avoid the mail hassles as well (I barely trust the USPS much less two govt agencies working together to get things delivered reasonably).

Thank you very much-

JrH

.oO - Jake & Kathe - Oo.

the significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them - Einstein

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.