Horees

W-9 & TIN

6 posts in this topic

Friends,

My bank sent me W-9 form to fill because I didn't have my green card in hand when I opened my bank accounts, I noticed that in the form they asking for income tax return, Taxpayer and Identification Number (TIN) & Employee Identification Number.

Actually I have been here for around 2 months, didnt get a job yet. So what do you advise me regarding Tax papers and other forms from SS office & IRS?

Thanks in Advance

On the W-9 all you need to enter is your Social Security Number. If you haven't got that yet you will need it before you can complete the W-9.

My time line

CSC

Nov 7, 2004 - First met in Chagford, Devon, UK

Sep 1, 2007 - Married in Chagford

Oct 5, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Oct 9, 2007 - Received by CSC

Jan 14, 2008 - Rejected by Chicago, wrong date on check 😞

Jan 15, 2008 - Sent I-130 back to Chicago with correctly dated check 🙂

Jan 16, 2008 - Received by Chicago

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

May 6, 2008 - NVC assign case number

May 12, 2008 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

May 18, 2008 - DS-3032 request emailed by me

May 22, 2008 - AOS bill paid by check

May 27, 2008 - DS-3032 accepted by NVC

Jun 2, 2008 - IV bill generated

Jun 9, 2008 - IV bill received

Jun 16, 2008 - IV bill paid by check

Jun 21, 2008 - I-864 package received

Jun 26, 2008 - I-864 sent to NVC

Jun 30, 2008 - DS-230 generated by NVC

Jul 11, 2008 - DS-230 received

Jul 26, 2008 - DS-230 sent to NVC

Aug 4, 2008 - DS-230 received by NVC

Aug 12, 2008 - Case completed

Aug 14, 2008 - Papers sent to London Embassy

Oct 20, 2008 - Medical in London

Oct 27, 2008 - Interview in London (was originally scheduled for Sep 23)

Oct 28, 2008 - Visa received

Nov 22, 2008 - Arrived in USA at Phoenix.... Yeah!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you not have any SSN now?

somethings amiss.

get into yer local ssa office with yer passport and birth certificate,

ask them to look you up in the SAVE database with A# and VISA name.

IF FOUND BOTH WAYS, apply, get yer SSN from that office the next day (card to follow up in the mail later)

dis-avow that W-9 form at the bank for a few weeks, till you have a SSN card in hand to show them, as it has huge potential to mess you up, later.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Sorry for the mis understand

I do have my SSN Card, but i'm asking for the other staff like TIN (which is required in W9)

As well, I'm asking for the IRS required documentation to be done, in addition to this TIN and employee identification number

Thanks friends

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ssn is all you need.

go back, face to face at the bank, get the bank manager, show ssn, fix this without filing any w-9

seriously.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Sorry for the mis understand

I do have my SSN Card, but i'm asking for the other staff like TIN (which is required in W9)

As well, I'm asking for the IRS required documentation to be done, in addition to this TIN and employee identification number

Thanks friends

The SSN is your TIN. For individuals with a SSN that will always be your TIN.

On the W-9 just complete the SSN boxes. The employer identification number is only for businesses.

Make sure you complete the W-9 and give it to the bank otherwise they can apply back up withholding of up to 30% from any interest they pay you.

As far as the IRS is concerned your next required documentation will be to complete your 2011 1040 Tax Return. That will declare all your income for the year ended December 31, 2011. The return needs to be filed with the IRS by April 15 each year.

You can download the form and instructions from the IRS web site. http://www.irs.gov

If this is your first US Tax Return I would advise you to get professional assistance as there are a number of different scenarios to be checked for your first return to make sure that you get the biggest refund or pay the lowest amount of tax.

Edited by HikerMark

My time line

CSC

Nov 7, 2004 - First met in Chagford, Devon, UK

Sep 1, 2007 - Married in Chagford

Oct 5, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Oct 9, 2007 - Received by CSC

Jan 14, 2008 - Rejected by Chicago, wrong date on check 😞

Jan 15, 2008 - Sent I-130 back to Chicago with correctly dated check 🙂

Jan 16, 2008 - Received by Chicago

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

May 6, 2008 - NVC assign case number

May 12, 2008 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

May 18, 2008 - DS-3032 request emailed by me

May 22, 2008 - AOS bill paid by check

May 27, 2008 - DS-3032 accepted by NVC

Jun 2, 2008 - IV bill generated

Jun 9, 2008 - IV bill received

Jun 16, 2008 - IV bill paid by check

Jun 21, 2008 - I-864 package received

Jun 26, 2008 - I-864 sent to NVC

Jun 30, 2008 - DS-230 generated by NVC

Jul 11, 2008 - DS-230 received

Jul 26, 2008 - DS-230 sent to NVC

Aug 4, 2008 - DS-230 received by NVC

Aug 12, 2008 - Case completed

Aug 14, 2008 - Papers sent to London Embassy

Oct 20, 2008 - Medical in London

Oct 27, 2008 - Interview in London (was originally scheduled for Sep 23)

Oct 28, 2008 - Visa received

Nov 22, 2008 - Arrived in USA at Phoenix.... Yeah!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.