Dupont

Filing K-1 from overseas

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello,

I am an American citizen but currently live in Australia with my partner (who is Australian). We are looking to move back to the States next year and are getting ready to file for a K-1 Visa. I am currently employed in Australia, as I live here and have limited income in the United States. I do own two apartments there, both of which are rented out and I receive about 10K a year from those. In addition I did a consulting gig last year in the States and received about 12K. Is it going to be a problem that I have limited income in America? I know you have to show proof of income but didn't know how that would work since I live overseas. I have fairly substantial savings, probably around 75K. I own one apartment with a market value of around 80K, with 30K of equity in it and my other apartment is worth about 330K and has about 20K worth of equity in it. Will this help me? Our plan was to move back to the States and I would start looking for a job once we found out when his interview date would be. I have family that will sponsor us and sign the affidavit of support so that could be an option for us. However, I am concerned that they might not approve us (or it will slow down the process) because I don't have any current income in the States.

Also, are there any other issues I need to be aware of about filing from overseas?

Many thanks!

I filed the k-1 while living overseas. Your American income will count but not your overseas income (unless it is from an American source). I believe you can include assets but it must be equal to 3x the required amount or something like that - other people are more familiar with this aspect of the I-134/I-864 and can give you more accurate info. A co-sponsor will not slow down your process. I only had my foreign income and we included a co-sponsor and had no issues.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.