hacelafacil

Getting PVE (permiso viaje exterior). How long it takes?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi,

My fiancee is expecting the arrival, to Cuban Immigration in Miramar, of the letter of invitation next week. I sent it to Washington 10 days ago and the person I talked to on the phone said it takes about a week to get to Havana.

I guess then she'll be ready to begin the PVE application. She's got the K-1 at the end of Oct.

It'd be great to have an idea how long this will take, she doesn't own any property and has been discharged from her workplace already.

But we thought it'd be helpful to share the list of docs for PVE they are asking as of today:

. carne or tarjeta de identidad actualizado.

. modelo solicitud con foto pegada.

. cheques x concepto tramites de viaje. I think it's 150 cuc

. carta laboral estudiantil de no objecion para los que posean este vinculo.

. exmiembros FAR con grado de subteniente en adelante. documento directiva 42 x cada tramite.

. poseedores de arma de fuego. documento de deposito.

. LETTER OF INVITATION. I called them (202 797-8518, 8519, 20) and asked for the sample which they email same day. $156 if sent by mail to cuban interests section in wash. you have to get all the stamps and certifications B4.

. pasaporte cubano corriente actualizado.

We understand that once she gets the 'permiso' stamped on her passport, now she is ready to purchase the ticket at Havanatours. Or is there another company that sells tix in Havana? Also, when she asked at Havanatours, they said she needs to buy a round trip ticket. I heard this is not necessary, anyone else gone through this?

Anyone exploring to enter through Mexico? We are checking the price for tix to SFO and seems to be less expensive through Cancun than LAX or other US cities.

She went to mx consulate and they said no visa required if K-1 and plane tix for the same day.

Saludos y gracias,

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Sorry to answer your question with a question but I am a little confused. I have never heard of a K-1 Visa holder needing a "carta de invitacion." It was my understanding that those are only required for those wishing to "visit." I thought that once you got "la baja" from housing, education, transportation, housing, military, paid for the medical, etc., then you could get the "carta blanca" (exit permit) and then purchase your ticket to leave Cuba. Everything else on your list appears to be appropriate but that. Can you, or any other Cuba specific member, clarify this issue.

As far as the round trip ticket, I have heard that since in essence the K-1 is not an immigrant visa (although the USINT in Havana treats it like one), but rather a non-immigrant visa conditioned on your marriage, a round trip ticket is required for her return should the marriage not take place. This appears to most important when your fiance will go through the port of entry and gets inspected/questioned by customs.

Thanks.

4/1/2011 - Mailed I129F

4/4/2011 - I129F received by USCIS (Priority date)

4/5/2001 - Post Office Return Receipt signed by USCIS

4/6/2011 - USCIS receipt date

4/7/2011 - Received e-mail/text NOA1

4/8/2011 - Touched

4/12/2011 - Receipt received via snail mail (I797C)

8/29/2011 - Received email/text NOA2

9/2/2011 - NVC received (no NVC # assigned yet)

9/2/2011 - Received hardcopy of NOA2

9/6/2011 - NVC Havana case number assigned

9/16/2011 - NVC forwarded case to Havana

9/19/2011 - NVC generated informational letter to me

9/23/2011 - Received letter from NVC via snail mail

10/6/2011 - Packet received by US Interest Section in Havana

10/18/2011 - Amel received telegram advising him when to pick up packet

12/05/2011 - Amel had blood work and x-rays done in preparation for medical examination

12/12/2011 - Amel picked up packet of forms at the USINT in Havana.

01/10/2012 - Amel had his medical exam today.

03/01/2012 - Interview: APPROVED!

03/20/2012 - Visa received.

3/23/2012 - Carta blanca, etc. requested

Timeline

Hola Wanda and Amel,

Thank you for your response/question!

We learn as we go from previous experiences other couples have gone through. In the case with Cuba it's very relative. We've seen similar cases treated differently.

In the case of the RT or OW ticket, other couples like Ann + Aties with K-1 visa are traveling with one way tix.

When my fiancee went to immigration with her passport and K-1, they gave conflicting info regarding what kind of exit permit she needed.

For now, cubans traveling to US have 2 options PVE or PSI.

We only had one, PVE, since we are not married yet. Once my fiancee becomes a legal resident, then she can apply for PSI.

So the requirements for the PVE indicate I have to send a LETTER OF INVITATION to the cuban interests section in Washington since she is 'visiting' until formally married.

If we had known this before, that could have taken less time and right after the interview apply for the PVE instead of the 3 or so weeks it takes for the letter to get to Cuba. Also it is valid for 1 yr.

I hope this will make it a bit more clear.

In regards to the US, I asked an immigration atty and there is NO need for RT ticket to enter with K-1 visa.

Gracias,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I wish someone could make a FAQ for the Cuban K1 process. It is very confusing and it seems like once people's fiance's arrive in the US they disappear and we never hear about how the process went (in terms of the PVE, PSI etc..)

My BF is in the process of getting the PVE now. He hasn't mentioned a letter of invitation to me yet. Although Cuba being Cuba I am always prepared for surprises.

Can someone who's fiance has arrived through a K1 visa from Cuba please post about what exactly they did on the Cuban side ?

Edited by Ide & Sam

My Timeline

Dec 2008: Met my baby

Dec-July: Spend a million dollars on phone calls :)

July 2009: Visit to Havana

February-March 2010: Live together for the first time

April-December: Emails and texts and chats oh my !

January-March 2011: Together again ! Sooooo happy

November 2011: Went to Havana for the interview and we were approved ! Now on the the carta blanca

________

K-1 Visa:

03-24-2011: File I-129F

03-28-2011: NOA1

03-30-2011: Touch

04-22-2011: NOA2

04-29-2011: Case Forwarded to Havana

04-19-2011: My fiance received packet 3

11-01-2011: Interview Appointment. Approved!!!

11-02-2011: Received Visa

04-25-2012: Arrival in LA Airport!!!

06-08-2012: Married!!!

Adjustment of Status:

07-24-2012: Mailed AOS papers along with AP and EAD

Timeline

As we know when dealing with cuba it is very relative, similar cases are treated differently.

I am not sure if it depends on the city or the person asking for documents.

But when my fiancee went to immigration (Miramar) in Havana, she took a photo of the docs needed for the PVE and that is the list I posted above.

It's great for couples that don't need a letter of invitation or other docs, that way they can save time and money.

Unfortunately for others, this comes as a surprise and part of the frustration in an already long process.

Saludos y gracias,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Sorry if I sounded like I didn't believe you, hacelafacil. That was not my intent. I'm also sorry you came to this bump in the journey. I hope all works out for you as quickly as possible!

Sam, I think between the two of us, with other's help, we could write that FAQ - and it should be in both english and spanish, yes? We will have to include these surprises like what has happened to hacelafacil!

Timeline

no big deal. by now, after 1 yr. since we filed for K-1 and almost at the end of it, there's been a lot of lessons learnt.

numero uno: lots of pacience.

numero dos: more pacience.

numero tres: even more pacience. otherwise we would not have embarqued on this crazy journey!

In the case with Cuba, by the way the lengthiest process on the planet, and being the only country americans are not allowed to visit, it's probably the most complicated of them all due to the animosities between our governments.

Now, this is a great place to share our experiences so those that are behind in the process know what to expect. Because another lesson, probably the most important, is that the unknown brings anxiety and here we can get informed.

Our most important goal is to get our loved ones here, once together, it should be easy to deal with the rest of the journey to wherever we want to go.

I found lots of info searching google (pve psi cuba) it's mainly in spanish, but you can translate using google translate. ohhhhh... the wonders of technology!

Basically cubans have 2 exit permits to come legally to the US, PVE and PSI.

PVE is for K-1 (fiancee). This permiso is valid for 30 days from the departure date and the holder needs to follow monthly renovations $40/mo. (i think) payable to the Cuban Interest Section in Washington. This can be done up to 11 months and 29 days. Then you either return to Cuba or change your emigration status to PSI or if it expires you get slapped for bad cuban. Not sure the consequences, but the idea is to keep some sort of legal frame not to compromise your cuban citizenship and all the rights that come with it. Also change PVE for PSI once you get the Green Card!!!!

PSI (permiso salida indefinida) is for K-3 (spouse) ... "The requirements are being married in Cuba to foreign nationals or those who were married abroad and made ​​a transcript of marriage within the time allowed to remain on the outside with (PVE, Permiso Viaje Temporal, Asunto Oficial) and maintain moral and social behavior according to the rules of coexistence in Cuban society." ... Got this form here: http://www.dcubanos.com/blog/permiso-de-salida-indefinida-psi/

Another helpful site is the Cuban Interest Section in Washington: www.cubadiplomatica.cu/sicw/EN/ConsularServices.aspx

I hope this helps and if anyone finds more on this subject, please let us know!!!

hasta la vista,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Basically cubans have 2 exit permits to come legally to the US, PVE and PSI.

PVE is for K-1 (fiancee). This permiso is valid for 30 days from the departure date and the holder needs to follow monthly renovations $40/mo. (i think) payable to the Cuban Interest Section in Washington. This can be done up to 11 months and 29 days. Then you either return to Cuba or change your emigration status to PSI or if it expires you get slapped for bad cuban. Not sure the consequences, but the idea is to keep some sort of legal frame not to compromise your cuban citizenship and all the rights that come with it. Also change PVE for PSI once you get the Green Card!!!!

I think I may know who you are given your SFO location and dateline but that's somewhat irrelevant to the conversation. If you choose to use a variety of monikers I'm OK with that. I'm "pelo" on a few other forums.

Yours is the latest interpretation to reach me since I began the K1 process almost a year ago. Permit me to describe what has been my understanding of things until recently.

A K1 Visa was essentially the same as a PVE but granted a 90 day window to the Cuban to choose marriage or to return to Cuba. If the latter then they returned as any Cuban leaving on a PVE might, i.e. they would still be a Cuban citizen with whatever fragile rights they might have there. Now I am told differently and it throws a monkey-wrench into our plans.

I am told that a K1 carries an assumed SD (Salida Definitiva) as a component of it and overrules the need for a PVE. It does, however, strip the Cuban of their citizenship rights no matter whether they marry or not. That is a radically different set of circumstances.

What we both want to do is to bring her to the US and get married, file a PSI and develop the option to return to Cuba and ultimately purchase property there in her name as a Cuban citizen. We both want to spend a lot of time in Cuba but not just as tourists.

What has become very blurred is how we can finalize the K1 but with the PVE options in place instead of the far harsher SD restrictions.

I am calling DC tomorrow but, as with this entire process, I can ask 10 people about it and be certain to receive 20 different replies. I would welcome anyones personal experiences with it.

Is everyone assuming the relinquishment of Cuban citizenship is an unavoidable consequence of an American marrying a Cubana?

Edited by cuidate

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.