Luni

Montreal Consulate

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Husbands interview is on Monday and he brought up that he has all our documentation, proof of relationship (tons of letters, photos) and whatever else in his carry one since there's so many documents to carry. Are you allowed to bring bags into the Consulate? It's probably around a 20" over the shoulder bag from what I remember, but even that seems too large and he's being grumpy about there being way too much to carry in his arms.

Also, his appointment is at 10am- what time should he arrive?

Together since 5-23-2002

Engaged 8-27-2008

Married 1-1-2010

Process began 9-1-2010

In my arms 2-28-2012

Timeline

A clear plastic shopping bags should do the trick, and try to arrive 15-20 minutes before. If you're there too early, they'll tell you come back closer to your appointment time.

USC attempting to obtain GC for Canadian husband

event.png

Apr 11, 2011: I-130 filed
Jul 11, 2011: I-130 approved
Aug 18, 2011: NVC process begins
Oct 6, 2011: NVC process completed
Nov 4, 2011: Interview date assigned
Dec 2, 2011: Interview at Consulate (Result: AP - No reason given on 221g)
Feb 7, 2012: Passport requested by Consulate
(...Husband needed passport for personal reasons during this time...)
Apr 9, 2012: Passport mailed to Consulate
Apr 25, 2012: Visa issued
May 1, 2012: Visa in hand
May 31, 2012: POE at Montreal's Trudeau Airport
Early July: Physical Green Card received in mail. Yes, it's green!

March 13, 2014: ROC filed (went to VSC)

March 17, 2014: NOA

April 22, 2014: Biometrics appointment

December 9, 2014: Case inquiry initiated

December 11, 2014: Response: "The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required security checks remain pending."

March 14, 2014: Received NOA that approval had been given on March 10; expect new GC within 60 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Plastic bag is the best, but some people bring binders. The question is: do you really need to bring them photos, letters to prove your relationship? You are married, is marriage certification the best proof of all? Mine is K visa, we only gave them the receipts of ring and wedding dress. We brought extra copies of the forms and other documents but they did not ask. My suggestion is, only bring things they require. for the forms you have already submited do not bring they again.

My Husbands interview is on Monday and he brought up that he has all our documentation, proof of relationship (tons of letters, photos) and whatever else in his carry one since there's so many documents to carry. Are you allowed to bring bags into the Consulate? It's probably around a 20" over the shoulder bag from what I remember, but even that seems too large and he's being grumpy about there being way too much to carry in his arms.

If it's a laptop bag, it will NOT be allowed in the consulate. I'd suggest organizing everything into either a binder or folder of some sorts. Then put it into a plastic bag (or what I used, a reusable bag).

I would suggest getting there around 6:30am. There's a chance you might be turned down for being too early, but there's also a chance you'd be allowed in and be out before your 10am "appointment". Mine was set for 8am (or 8:30, can't remember), and I was there by 6:15am. First in line. Got the first number. I was out before 9am. Would have been earlier but there was a mishap with my fingerprints, and had to get them re-done.

Plastic bag is the best, but some people bring binders. The question is: do you really need to bring them photos, letters to prove your relationship? You are married, is marriage certification the best proof of all? Mine is K visa, we only gave them the receipts of ring and wedding dress. We brought extra copies of the forms and other documents but they did not ask. My suggestion is, only bring things they require. for the forms you have already submited do not bring they again.

A marriage certificate is probably the least proof of the relationship. Anyone can get married and get a certificate, but that means nothing of the relationship. But fortunately, the Montreal consulate rarely asks for evidence of the relationship. They just ask of the required forms, ask a few questions, have the beneficiary sign the DS-230 and that's it. In other consulates/embassies, if all you brought was a marriage certificate, they'd pretty much laugh and put you in AP for not bringing any evidence.

Timeline

Quality over Quantity!! You do NOT need a tons of evidence! But each their own! Those plastic accordion binders work great. Mine had like 13 "pouches" and easily held everything!! No electronics of any kind!! And yes they will turn you away,

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would suggest you bring all the evidence you want that makes you feel comfortable. I had copies of everything. I two separate accordian files, and put them in a whole food market 99 cent bag... it was light and open but big enough to hold the files. The reject any kind of black canvas zippered type bags from what I have read.

Timeline

the less you bring the better you they get pretty cross about big bags from what i heard but i went to the vancouver consulate i had my baby with me so the rules were different of course

I would try to put it all in a shopping bag or something, as others have said. They may not let a regular bag through. Either way, it will be searched.

What my wife and I did was put everything in an accordion file and put that in a shopping bag.

Of course, they did not ask to see a single thing!

We got there at 6:30a and there was only one couple in front of us. Once we went up, we were out in less than an hour.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I put everything in an accordion folder and brought that with me. All the "bare minimum" documentation went to the front of the folder, and all the extra stuff (photos, etc.) went to the back. That way it wasn't cumbersome to get the necessary documents (which was all they asked for) but I had my back up evidence just in case. Since it was all in an accordion folder it wasn't too large for them to turn me away but large enough to bring everything to give me peace of mind.

Timeline

Mtl doesnt ask for a lot of evidence, usually if anything, they ask to see a few pics. Canada is not 1 of the high fraud countries. Each their own. I had a few pics, letters, air travel receipts, letter from mother n law.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

You guys are so awesome! He got a regular ol'shopping bag it seems. I'm so glad I asked! I'm going to have him get there an hour earlier. I don't want to risk him being turned away since he'll have to pay for a taxi to go back and forth. Unless he goes to a Tim Hortons nearby? LOL!

Do you know if they will allow cell phones to be left at the front desk? What is their policy on that? I figure he can bring it so he can call me and the taxi and leave it with them when it's all done with. Would be easier. @_@

I wanted to be safe than sorry so he's bringing everything since a few years ago some chick in the Toronto customs gave him a hard-time about coming to visit me for Dec-Feb. The lady said it was "too long" and stamped his visa with a date change and let him into the States with a new departure date. Was rather lame so.. I said "better safe than sorry in case they don't like this".

Together since 5-23-2002

Engaged 8-27-2008

Married 1-1-2010

Process began 9-1-2010

In my arms 2-28-2012

From what I have read, no electronics whatsoever. I have read about people leaving stuff at a coffee shop or other business nearby. Hopefully someone will come by who knows.

Best wishes for his interview!

Timeline

Thank you guys!

It's not even me going into the interview and I'm so nervous! I will definitely revisit the topic and give you guys an update tomorrow! Let's hope this goes well!

Together since 5-23-2002

Engaged 8-27-2008

Married 1-1-2010

Process began 9-1-2010

In my arms 2-28-2012

You guys are so awesome! He got a regular ol'shopping bag it seems. I'm so glad I asked! I'm going to have him get there an hour earlier. I don't want to risk him being turned away since he'll have to pay for a taxi to go back and forth. Unless he goes to a Tim Hortons nearby? LOL!

Do you know if they will allow cell phones to be left at the front desk? What is their policy on that? I figure he can bring it so he can call me and the taxi and leave it with them when it's all done with. Would be easier. @_@

I wanted to be safe than sorry so he's bringing everything since a few years ago some chick in the Toronto customs gave him a hard-time about coming to visit me for Dec-Feb. The lady said it was "too long" and stamped his visa with a date change and let him into the States with a new departure date. Was rather lame so.. I said "better safe than sorry in case they don't like this".

First off, there's a Tim Hortons like within a minute's walk of the consulate. That's where I sent my dad to wait while I got interviewed.

Now, they don't let in any electronics upstairs. But you might be able to leave it at the front desk. I've seen some reviews where some people left their keys and phones. But, I've also read reviews where they're refused and said go leave it somewhere else. So be prepared for this, he might get turned down.

Thankfully, my dad had driven me the 45 minutes to the consulate and I left my phone with him while he drank coffee at Tim Hortons laughing.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They definitely do not allow cell phones at all. I just left mine at my hotel room and practically ran back after the interview so I could call my hubby and tell him the good news! :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.