mollypicon

Moscow Interview!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi! I'm reposting from another section. I am an American woman married to a Russian man since September 2004. We've been

separated for over a year after leaving London where we lived for six years and are in our home countries. We've finally applied

for the green card- it took a long time due to some personal issues- and he is finally scheduled for an interview in Moscow

January 13th.

I am wondering what to expect in the interview. Only he is scheduled for the interview, but I am going to be there anyway, as

I am going to Russia December 17th for three months, and have written to the consulate to see if I can be present.

I've been looking around forums but can't find too much relevant information- do we have to prove we are a bona fide couple

with pictures and all that? Past leases as we are not living together now? Evidence that we've seen eachother during the

separation? Will the officer ask my husband about the color of my toothbrush? It looks like we (okay, he) won't even

need to bring documents as they have everything. The only requests in the letter are for passport pictures and updates

to the I-864, as well as his medical check.

It's all quite funny- he's really not a big fan of the U.S. and I'm a bit worried he'll let the consular officer know that

the U.S. is completely uninteresting to him except for my presence. Oh well, it might work...

Edited by mollypicon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi! I'm reposting from another section. I am an American woman married to a Russian man since September 2004. We've been

separated for over a year after leaving London where we lived for six years and are in our home countries. We've finally applied

for the green card- it took a long time due to some personal issues- and he is finally scheduled for an interview in Moscow

January 13th.

I am wondering what to expect in the interview. Only he is scheduled for the interview, but I am going to be there anyway, as

I am going to Russia December 17th for three months, and have written to the consulate to see if I can be present.

I've been looking around forums but can't find too much relevant information- do we have to prove we are a bona fide couple

with pictures and all that? Past leases as we are not living together now? Evidence that we've seen eachother during the

separation? Will the officer ask my husband about the color of my toothbrush? It looks like we (okay, he) won't even

need to bring documents as they have everything. The only requests in the letter are for passport pictures and updates

to the I-864, as well as his medical check.

It's all quite funny- he's really not a big fan of the U.S. and I'm a bit worried he'll let the consular officer know that

the U.S. is completely uninteresting to him except for my presence. Oh well, it might work...

My wife would have the same opinion of the US and be happy for that. He is here for you, if he were coming here for "the country" you would lose.

You should bring evidence of relationship and the Moscow consulate will not allow you inside, but he can bring your passport in to show you are there. Others here have done the CR-1 in Moscow and will give more details I am sure.

Good luck.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife would have the same opinion of the US and be happy for that. He is here for you, if he were coming here for "the country" you would lose.

You should bring evidence of relationship and the Moscow consulate will not allow you inside, but he can bring your passport in to show you are there. Others here have done the CR-1 in Moscow and will give more details I am sure.

Good luck.

Good answer.

I'm not that big of a US fan either, but that's fine. He probably shouldn't try too hard to make the CO believe how uninterested he is in the US, but it's OK to come to the States just for the sake of being able to be with their significant other.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Both Ona and Gary are correct about coming to the USA. Unfortunately a lot of people think the only reason that our foreign spouses married us is to come to America. How insulting is that? It's as if we could not have someone that would love us from another country. Having lived in America all my life, I still think its a pretty good country but its certainly not Utopia. We have a lot of problems that foreigners see more that we do. We have been sold the same BS that this is the greatest country in the World but there is not a lot of critical analysis as to why is America the greatest. You can't just look at the good, but you have to factor in the bad and the uncomfortable stuff too. :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline

Thanks! Yes, I understand. Any more details? Will the consular officer ask my husband questions to determine how

real a couple we are, like he'd have married me in 2004 so he could move to the U.S. nearly eight years later? What sort

of "evidence" would work or be of interest? Pictures of us together? Leases, bank statements?

Edited by mollypicon

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.