hotshot

n-400 tax issue

4 posts in this topic

hi

i have question i am 3yrs(green card 3 years) living with my us wife and i wanted to they as for 3 yrs tax return i have 3yrs but i and my wife have a first yr of taxes was done as a dependent on my mother in laws tax return paper(me and my wife is on return), because i had the green card approval in sept and till dec i could not find a job , rest of the two yrs of return they are on my name filing jointly i have filed my taxes, my issue is that can i use the taxes of my mother in law to show i filed taxes or i have to do it till next yr.....(is my motherin law tax paper valid for my n-400)

other question is that i am going to london for 3 months ,one of the question says that you must have stayed in the state for 3 month , yes i did but if i go to london do i have to wait another 3 month then file because i was not in us ........

i will be glad if some one guide me...:)

hi

i have question i am 3yrs(green card 3 years) living with my us wife and i wanted to they as for 3 yrs tax return i have 3yrs but i and my wife have a first yr of taxes was done as a dependent on my mother in laws tax return paper(me and my wife is on return), because i had the green card approval in sept and till dec i could not find a job , rest of the two yrs of return they are on my name filing jointly i have filed my taxes, my issue is that can i use the taxes of my mother in law to show i filed taxes or i have to do it till next yr.....(is my motherin law tax paper valid for my n-400)

other question is that i am going to london for 3 months ,one of the question says that you must have stayed in the state for 3 month , yes i did but if i go to london do i have to wait another 3 month then file because i was not in us ........

i will be glad if some one guide me...:)

Not sure about the dependent thing, but I think if you include a copy showing that you both were dependents on her, that at least validates your living together. The next two years will be a better support for your income.

As for your trip - you don't have to worry about it. They are talking about permanent physical address needs to be at least for 3 months - so as long as your permanent physical address has been the same for the past 3 months or more, then a trip to london or anywhere else in the world will not do you any harm.

hope this helps...

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

i and my wife have a first yr of taxes was done as a dependent on my mother in laws tax return paper(me and my wife is on return), because i had the green card approval in sept and till dec i could not find a job , rest of the two yrs of return they are on my name filing jointly i have filed my taxes, my issue is that can i use the taxes of my mother in law to show i filed taxes or i have to do it till next yr.....(is my motherin law tax paper valid for my n-400)

I can't think of any circumstance where you could be listed as a dependent on your mother-in-law's taxes. If your wife was under 19 yrs old, a full time student, or permanently disabled, then she could be claimed. Otherwise she shouldn't be listed either. It sounds like Mom's tax return was incorrectly filed.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Timeline

I agree: the tax return must have been filed incorrectly. Don't get crazy over it, but you may want to have a tax professional take a look on what it would take to amend it. Most likely it will take only 20 minutes or so to correct it.

As for your travel plans, you can travel to your heart's desire. What they mean is if you move, lets say from Los Angeles to Chicago, and notify USCIS of your new address as required, it can take up to 3 months for the system to have all of this sorted out and get your paperwork to the correct -- new -- address. In such a case only you would have to wait 3 months before mailing off your N-400.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.