4Toms

Port of Entry Questions / Procedure on IR1/ CR1 ?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

All,

My spouse will be entering US on her IR1/CR1 in Jan 2011. Unfortunately, I ( USC sponsor) will not be able to accompany her on the trip and she'd be traveling for the first time to US on any visa.

What is the nature of questions she should expect at the POE ? She received her immigrant visa in Sep. Would there be any questions related to spouse's current employment ? Are there any additional/ more recent proofs she'd be expected to produce.

Would appreciate any guidance/ help / experiences you could provide.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

How well does your wife speak English? What is the intended POE? Would you anticipate her having a problem communicating with the border officer? This might be the biggest issue.

Make sure she carries on the plane her brown envelope and X-Rays. They likely won't take the X-Rays but bring them anyway. They will keep the brown envelope. Does the immigration paperwork have you current address where you want the green card mailed? If yes, no worries. If not, she needs to have the updated address. All paperwork she needs should be in the brown envelope. She shouldn't need any updated info on your employment.

Typically, they will ask where she is going? Plans?, etc. but my impressing this is typically more chit-chat than a true interview. However, it is possible the officer could deny entry but the only scenario where this might happen is if the officer suspected your wife was attempting to do something illegal (drug smuggling, etc.).

How long have you been married? If over two years you need to make sure your wife has a copy of your marriage certificate to make sure she gets an IR-1 visa and doesn't have to remove conditions in two years.

I would go to the reviews on this web site for your intended POE as that may also help you prepare your wife.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your response.

My wife speaks English well and communication should not be a problem except for the nervousness/ anxiety factor. Intended POE is JFK and we have been married for 2+ years. Is X-ray a requirement at POE ? When we did the medicals, hospital did not hand over the x-ray, only the sealed medical report and we did not take them to the consulate either.

How well does your wife speak English? What is the intended POE? Would you anticipate her having a problem communicating with the border officer? This might be the biggest issue.

Make sure she carries on the plane her brown envelope and X-Rays. They likely won't take the X-Rays but bring them anyway. They will keep the brown envelope. Does the immigration paperwork have you current address where you want the green card mailed? If yes, no worries. If not, she needs to have the updated address. All paperwork she needs should be in the brown envelope. She shouldn't need any updated info on your employment.

Typically, they will ask where she is going? Plans?, etc. but my impressing this is typically more chit-chat than a true interview. However, it is possible the officer could deny entry but the only scenario where this might happen is if the officer suspected your wife was attempting to do something illegal (drug smuggling, etc.).

How long have you been married? If over two years you need to make sure your wife has a copy of your marriage certificate to make sure she gets an IR-1 visa and doesn't have to remove conditions in two years.

I would go to the reviews on this web site for your intended POE as that may also help you prepare your wife.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This is where filling your information might help. In China at least they do a Chest X-ray. I think the intent is to check for TB but I don't know for sure. The doctor at the exam might look at it. We brought it to our interview but the consulate didn't want it. We brought it to the POE but they did not want it either. So it is now a souvenir. My wife having an unnecessary X-Ray bugs me but then many things in this process bug me.

So it is likely your wife will have no issue without the X-Ray. Some countries might not do them at all. If they ask, all she can say is that she followed the consulate's medical procedure and they didn't do one. I am not trying to cause you unnecessary stress but the X-Ray is one of the inconsistencies in the process.

Your wife should be fine, there really isn't anything to be worried about.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Read about JFK in the POE section at the top of this page--it is a piece of cake. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to have the x-ray at POE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.