Wychopen

DS-230 and I-864 Questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

We just got our packet 3 a few days ago. But my name was incorrect on the letter that they sent us. I am wondering if I can still send in the DS-230 if the name on the packet 3 was incorrect? We tried calling them but now answer, we emailed them but no words from them yet.

Also, My father-in-law will be my husband's co-sponsor. Which forms should they use (I-864

or I-864a)? Should my mother-in-law also fill one out?

Lastly, when can we make an appointment for my interview? Can I make it now?

Thank y'all for you help!

Oops, I just saw that you messaged me! Sorry! First, to answer your questions,

They should get back to your email in a day or two. Go ahead and fill out your DS-230 with your correct name.

Your father-in-law should fill out the I-864 A I believe (i'll check that for you). Does your mother in law work?

You cant make your appointment yet, after you send in packet 3 and they approve it they will send you an email with packet 4 and the go-ahead to make your appointment. :-)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oops, I just saw that you messaged me! Sorry! First, to answer your questions,

They should get back to your email in a day or two. Go ahead and fill out your DS-230 with your correct name.

Your father-in-law should fill out the I-864 A I believe (i'll check that for you). Does your mother in law work?

You cant make your appointment yet, after you send in packet 3 and they approve it they will send you an email with packet 4 and the go-ahead to make your appointment. :-)

Thank you very much, Mrs. Nelson. Neither of my in-laws are working. They are retired and are drawing on their pension and they file their taxes under one household.

I have another question though. Where did you get your Korean Police record translated?

Thank you again.

You might want to check to see if your mother-in-law has to fill one out too, she may have to if both of their pensions are "paying for you" for lack of a better word. ;-)

As for the background check, one make ABSOLUTELY sure that your results include the words "including expunged records". Translations too, if it doesn't say that then they won't accept it.

As for translations, we had our boss do it for us. Anyone who can read/write in Korean can do it, and it doesn't have to be on a fancy form or anything. The police check (for Korea anyway) is really really simple. I would get it done at the Yongsan police station if you can, I can fill you in more on where that is if you need help. Anyways the check is only like, half a page long, looks kind of like a database with your name, birthday, address and a "history of crimes including expunged records" section. It's not very long to translate.

You might be able to ask the embassy if they have any translation service recommendations. :-) Let me know if there is anything more I can do! :-)

When they issue the visa the name on the visa will be the name on the passport. Fill out the DS-230 with the correct name. You will get opportunity to review everything at the interview anyway.

(IF) your packet IV and medical forms still come in with the wrong name (not matching the passport) then you have a problem that may take a personal visit to correct.

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.