LeeAnna

SCARS! I NEED THOUGHTS PLEASE!

54 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Using a treatment to calm or minimize the scars is perfectly fine, mind you. That's no problem, and is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. But the doctor will still be able to tell they were there, and will ask about them. When you are asked about the scars, you absolutely MUST answer completely scrupulously honestly about what they are and how you got them. Any attempt to lie about, misrepresent, or minimize them will be the kiss of death to your immigration plans.

i will answer their question honestly. ill keep in mind everything you said, thank u very much and god bless!

Timeline

Also, don't stop taking your medications. In fact, bring them along to the medical appointment so the doctor can see what it is. The medicine is helping you a lot so this is good - this is something you want the doctor to know about. He then knows that while you have had problems in the past, that you have already taken the steps to address them, that you are on medicine that works and should continue to work, and while you are on this medicine you won't have these problems. This is all very positive stuff that you want both the doctor and immigration to know. Since they will see the scars and ask you questions about them, instead of trying to hide it or ignore it, face the situation head on and show that you are now in control of the situation because of the medicine rather than your condition controlling you. The doctor will also see you as being conscientious and responsible and honest about your medical situation and likely to continue to be conscientious, responsible and honest in the future. These are all good things :yes: . If he requires extra consultation with a psychiatrist, then that is another opportunity for you to prove that you are able to manage this condition and are willing to do so. I would definitely bring a letter from your current doctor as well.

Good luck to you on both the medical and the interview :) .

That's a good suggestion. I will bring my meds, ur right about that one, thank you! and yes, the letter i will bring for certain. Thank you so much for wishing me well on my interview! God Bless!

Timeline

I have no advice as to what to say/do at the doc about this, but I had some scars I faded quite a lot with emu oil. If you can find it well it's quite effective.

Otherwise it looks like you don't have much to worry about, it was a long time ago, and just let 'em know you're okay now. Hope this helps some.

hi, thank u for the suggestion but my scars,,well,,,chances are, it will still be visible. and i am afraid to hide the truth from them, so im most likely going to tell them the truth. But still, thanks for the suggestion! i appreciate it. :)

Timeline

Good day everyone and thank you for the helpful replies i got the previous days! I have yet another question to ask and this might be too personal to divulge but i just am sick worried. On our MEDICAL EXAMINATION (Manila, Philippines) they said the physician will check for slash marks (suicide attempts). I have numerous slash marks on both my wrists and even have stitches on my right wrist. I also have some scars on my stomach. Will these be grounds for a visa denial? I have been seeing a shrink in the last 3 months and I am taking meeds. I stopped my cutting for approximately 3 months now (since i started taking meds and seeing a doctor). Please, is there something that i should anticipate e.g. worst case scenario? I am really worried. :unsure:

wow that may be a problem , if they believe you have mental problem , they may denie your visa . i think you should call orvis and ask mike he will tell you straight out if you are waisting your time . but you could always say you was attacked . if you tell them you are on meds for mental problems i believe you will be denied , but just ask orvis they know for sure the answer to your question , good luck .

Hi Leeanna..

I've been on this board for more than three years and I've never read about a cutter or anyone who attempted suicide that was denied a visa in Manila. I'm not saying a visa denial has or hasn't happened, it's just that I've never seen a denial despite the many threads about scars. It seems that they all eventually receive their visa. The only visa denial I've seen resulting from a medical at St. Lukes was when someone admitted taking illegal drugs in the past.

There was even one woman who, during her medical exam, lied to the St. Lukes doctor about her scars and then later, during her psychiatric evaluation, admitted to a suicide attempt. She received a visa.

It's likely that you will be required to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at St. Lukes which will cost you P1000. It's my understanding that psychiatric evaluations at St. Lukes are fairly informal and often last less than 30 minutes. The worst-case scenario is that the psych doctor will require you to undergo a day-long psych test which will cost you P3000. The results of the psych test would be available after 2-3 weeks.

You have received some good advice in this thread. I especially liked Kathryn41's post. I hope you go to your medical and your interview with honesty and a positive attitude.

Best wishes. I will be pulling for you. :star:

~ Tahoma

Timeline

Hi Leeanna..

I've been on this board for more than three years and I've never read about a cutter or anyone who attempted suicide that was denied a visa in Manila. I'm not saying a visa denial has or hasn't happened, it's just that I've never seen a denial despite the many threads about scars. It seems that they all eventually receive their visa. The only visa denial I've seen resulting from a medical at St. Lukes was when someone admitted taking illegal drugs in the past.

There was even one woman who, during her medical exam, lied to the St. Lukes doctor about her scars and then later, during her psychiatric evaluation, admitted to a suicide attempt. She received a visa.

It's likely that you will be required to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at St. Lukes which will cost you P1000. It's my understanding that psychiatric evaluations at St. Lukes are fairly informal and often last less than 30 minutes. The worst-case scenario is that the psych doctor will require you to undergo a day-long psych test which will cost you P3000. The results of the psych test would be available after 2-3 weeks.

You have received some good advice in this thread. I especially liked Kathryn41's post. I hope you go to your medical and your interview with honesty and a positive attitude.

Best wishes. I will be pulling for you. :star:

~ Tahoma

Wow, you really know the what to do's. THANK YOU SO MUCH. thank you for giving me a heads up on the psych evalution. I will anticipate the 3 week mark. And yes, i am grateful Kathryn41 has given me a lot of helpful advice as well, esp the bringing my meds part, that didnt really occur to me until she made mention of it. Now i know how long the psych test might take and how much it costs, thank you very much!

Thank you very much for wishing me the best. God Bless you!

Timeline

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO GAVE ME SUCH HELPFUL ADVICE, THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH. I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO THANK YOU ENOUGH NOR REPAY ALL YOUR KINDNESS BUT GOD IS WATCHING OVER ALL OF YOU AND HE WILL GIVE YOU MORE ABUNDANT BLESSINGS, PEACE, LOVE AND HARMONY TO YOUR FAMILIES,,,AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HELPFUL TO THOSE IN NEED (OF DESPERATE ADVICE-THAT'S ME, HAHA) GOD BLESS US ALL!!!!!!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :thumbs:

Timeline

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO GAVE ME SUCH HELPFUL ADVICE, THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH. I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO THANK YOU ENOUGH NOR REPAY ALL YOUR KINDNESS BUT GOD IS WATCHING OVER ALL OF YOU AND HE WILL GIVE YOU MORE ABUNDANT BLESSINGS, PEACE, LOVE AND HARMONY TO YOUR FAMILIES,,,AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HELPFUL TO THOSE IN NEED (OF DESPERATE ADVICE-THAT'S ME, HAHA) GOD BLESS US ALL!!!!!!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :thumbs:

welcome LeeAnna! you're not alone. goodluck to our journey & may the heavenly father continue to bless us. :star:

welcome LeeAnna! you're not alone. goodluck to our journey & may the heavenly father continue to bless us. :star:

Yna...Best wishes to you too...and to all of those who walk in LeeAnna's shoes. I hope all of you have a smooth and speedy visa journey so that you can be back in the arms of your loved ones malapit na. :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.