TeapotGirl

Philippine Surprises

49 posts in this topic

Dont expect Toilet paper in the Tiolets( CR) in the Pi.I was shocked at first .The people use water . :lol: I actually had to walk with tiolet paper with me just in case I had an urgent call of nature . Also I had to pay the CR attendant for some water to wash my hands .Maybe I open a tiolet tissue business in the Pi . :lol:

Edited by Richie Rich

-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Filed: Timeline

MSG everywhere! I was wondering what that familiar smell was that reminded of something from my childhood. That smell of "Accent". Not a decent cup of brewed coffee or tea to be found anywhere, they all seem to prefer instant, pre-flavored versions. Tap water smells septic. They got that right! Don't drink the water unless you are sure of the source. LBM seems to be the norm even for the locals.

no refund policy- If you bought an item that has a defect or realized that you don't want it, you can't get your money back anymore. They will just replace your item with a better one. Same price same kind

Also in a restaurant, if you didn't appreciate the meal and talked the manager, they will just serve you another order of the menu of what you are complaining for.

Asking someone if they can you speak English can be offensive- An ability to speak English is in a way a measurement of intelligence here even if in fact it's just a matter of exposure and education. Remember when you ask a question like this to a Filipino, it's kinda asking them if "they are intelligent or not."

fish is served with a head- Filipinos are not used to fillet fish. Serving fish with a head is just a matter of presentation and "manners". We feed out pets with leftovers here so if you served the fish without a head, it looks like you fed the pets first.

All white guys are American- When Filipinos sees a white guy, even a black guy, they quickly assume it's an American. Who knows it's a German or Brit or Canadian?

Movies and Music- 95 percent of the movies being shown in Cinemas here is an American, 50 percent of the songs on the radio is american too.

You are expected to treat everybody- They think you are loaded so if you invite someone to go out for a drink, you are expected to pay for them. It's a tradition here to share your blessing and it goes the say with everybody.

If there's anything else that you would like to add, just post your comments here and have a good laugh of fun! :dance:

They only think that WHITE guys are Americians . I am not Black nor white . I am of Indian ancestry but is an Americian (with a straight nose ) and morena in color :lol: .Many were asking my Fiancee where I was from so many times I was getting annoyed . Some --not all have you sterotyped. When in the mall or public places --I hugged my fiancee(now wife ) even closer when they stared at us .

-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

MSG everywhere! I was wondering what that familiar smell was that reminded of something from my childhood. That smell of "Accent". Not a decent cup of brewed coffee or tea to be found anywhere, they all seem to prefer instant, pre-flavored versions. Tap water smells septic. They got that right! Don't drink the water unless you are sure of the source. LBM seems to be the norm even for the locals.

:thumbs: Thank God for Starbucks! I understand the love for instant coffee, yucky!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

:ot: Fernando is into sports and did the Iron Man Competition in Camarines... but I find Jaime Augusto more charming... hahahaha, I know this is out of topic... I worked in one of the Ayala companies and they are always present in every special event with their father Jaime and sometimes attended meeting with them in attendance. They speak perfect tagalog and yes... they are from Spain but the old man always say he is filipino no matter what he look or speak and yes, he has a Philippine passport.

I like Jaime Augusto more if were to choose, Fernando has a different kind of charm. I will be willing to be their 50th mistress if they will take me. :P Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala..if you are reading this..PM me!

GMA is gone. Now they got another wet behind the ears Aquino, Noynoy III.

I love GMA and I always will. Call her whatever you want corrupt (who isn't?) That pint size woman is so smart and very hardworking. When she says something she means business unlike the current one now. But let's see. I just notice that on his every speech, he never fails to blame the previous administration for whatever difficulty he encounters. Doesn't look like a man that takes ownership.

Happy New Year!

Timeline

MSG everywhere! I was wondering what that familiar smell was that reminded of something from my childhood. That smell of "Accent". Not a decent cup of brewed coffee or tea to be found anywhere, they all seem to prefer instant, pre-flavored versions.

That's my fiances complaint too. We still brought a coffee maker and grains here. But we have Starbucks, Seattle's Best here.

Happy New Year!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I like Jaime Augusto more if were to choose, Fernando has a different kind of charm. I will be willing to be their 50th mistress if they will take me. :PJaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala..if you are reading this..PM me!

I love GMA and I always will. Call her whatever you want corrupt (who isn't?) That pint size woman is so smart and very hardworking. When she says something she means business unlike the current one now. But let's see. I just notice that on his every speech, he never fails to blame the previous administration for whatever difficulty he encounters. Doesn't look like a man that takes ownership.

Hey, when did Obama become the president of the Philippines?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline
:no: Really? He loves to blame too? I actually don't watch his speeches, I just heard about the turkey pardon. :star:

Happy New Year!

no refund policy- If you bought an item that has a defect or realized that you don't want it, you can't get your money back anymore. They will just replace your item with a better one. Same price same kind

Also in a restaurant, if you didn't appreciate the meal and talked the manager, they will just serve you another order of the menu of what you are complaining for.

Asking someone if they can you speak English can be offensive- An ability to speak English is in a way a measurement of intelligence here even if in fact it's just a matter of exposure and education. Remember when you ask a question like this to a Filipino, it's kinda asking them if "they are intelligent or not."

fish is served with a head- Filipinos are not used to fillet fish. Serving fish with a head is just a matter of presentation and "manners". We feed out pets with leftovers here so if you served the fish without a head, it looks like you fed the pets first.

All white guys are American- When Filipinos sees a white guy, even a black guy, they quickly assume it's an American. Who knows it's a German or Brit or Canadian?

Movies and Music- 95 percent of the movies being shown in Cinemas here is an American, 50 percent of the songs on the radio is american too.

You are expected to treat everybody- They think you are loaded so if you invite someone to go out for a drink, you are expected to pay for them. It's a tradition here to share your blessing and it goes the say with everybody.

If there's anything else that you would like to add, just post your comments here and have a good laugh of fun! :dance:

Every white guy is named JOE! :rofl:

I agree that refund policies suck in the Philippines. My friend and I purchased a defective item in SM so naturally, we returned it and we weren't interested in other products but they said they can't give our money back and that we will have to choose another item at the SAME department.

I think it's not a surprise that most movies shown are from the US. Let's face it, Philippine cinema (at least the mainstream) has gone down hill since the early 2000. Watching old movies at Cinema one or the internet is a lot better!

Who knows, the two could be related :bonk:

Do you know what the "helmet barbecue" is? It's 3 chicken heads on a barbecue stick. Nothing goes to waste here. :devil: Chicken intestine, blood...

Ayalas are really Spanish by blood. GMA is a polyglot. She is fluent in different languages Pampageño, Ilokano, Pangasinense, Cebuano, English and Tagalog. It's just they use Spanish when they talk among themselves. Her fluency in different languages is one of the reasons why she's very charming and likable (then), just some media hype now. You know how media turns against you?

Zobel de Ayalas. German-Basque, I heard. I am not sure but I read somewhere that they are related to some royalty is Spain...I mean blood-related.

Yeah the Panamanian guy was a real hit, Filipinos were totally amazed that he could converse with them. I love the looks on the locals faces when all of the Spanish speaking guys were commuincating and all of them looked different, the Mexico City born Mexican amazed Filipinos also with his red hair, blue eyes, as in totally white and heavy accented English.

I know GMA is in deep doo doo, not very well liked, but I did not know she spoke Spanish.

I do know the Ayala family speaks Spanish at home.

Yes, GMA is not liked. However, her multilingualism is very much appreciated by me. Who wouldn't appreciate a president who, when she comes to your hometownl, speaks your native language impeccably?

I think that is the only good thing about her. Nevertheless, it should be emulated by all national politicians rather than insisting Tagalog is "the" true language and embodiment of being Filipino -- which just pisses of 75% of Filipinos(non-Tagalogs)

An American who is trying to speak Tagalog is cute, a Filipino who can't speak English is "looks like an idiot". So don't ask why some Filipinos are conscious with their English, and shy to talk to you. It's because they are afraid that someone's picking on their pronunciation and grammar. Discriminating, huh

Speaking of... don't you think that dude on the left is just damn fluent?

e

I think though they are using the "wrong" language. Cauayan is largely Ilocano

Edited by Kang

I am sure you looked cute then and they talked about you when you left. Well for the most part, Filipinos are fluent in Tagalog. They may think in Cebuano, Ilocano, Bicolano etc but they must know how to speak Tagalog. National school books, newspapers, TV and even radio are in either English or Tagalog. If they don't know how to communicate in Tagalog (understand it at least), that means they live in a very remote area, very poor and not educated. So far, I haven't personally met anyone like that.

I am not sure about the very poor and not educated. I met rich and educated people who cannot speak Tagalog properly. There are still many places in the Philippines where English and their respective native languages is preferred over Tagalog. They may understand Tagalog but speaking and fluency is a different story. I personally know people like this. Has more to do with tradition than education and financial status.

Another thing is..you can buy almost any drug here over the counter. Medicines are in packets and not in bottles with your name and instruction.

I personally like this especially with me who has asthma. Mine does not occur regularly so a short trip to the drug store is very efficient for me over getting prescription and waiting for your prescription

Timeline

Wow fish here has the head on, esp when caught fresh from the ocean. Also we get the shrimp with the head too. The one thing here is that no one mistakes me for being Filipino here, but in PI I get spoken to in Tagalog all the time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.