maning

Things You Hate & Love About The Philippines

53 posts in this topic

In this forum, I feel the love and the respect. However, the way many Filipino immigrants act here turns me off. They are rude, selfish, conniving, and overly sensitive. I was active in the Filipino community when my wife first arrived, and the meetings always turned out to be drag-out verbal brawls. I can't stand this, "Either you are my ally, or you are my enemy thing," especially among the women. The men are just drunks. Now, I stay away, and just drop the wife off to the get-together's.

:thumbs:Most of the Ilocanos in our place are like this!

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Is it okay if I chime in and give my opinions too? I'm not Filipina but I have visited Manila and the greater Metro Manila area.

Things I liked about the Philippines, based on my experience, are:

~The friendliness of most Pinoys/Pinays. They had ready smiles for me although I was a foreigner (though I don't look very different, hahaha).

~Halo-halo! OMG this dessert is SO good, I had too many halo-halos to count when I was there :lol: When I go back there someday I'm going to eat halo-halos, for sure!

~Trikes. So fun. 'Nuff said.

~The cheap prices of most food (for me as Malaysian). Malaysian food RAWKS but Filipino food is quite good too. ;)

~My lovely local friends. They are the ones who made my trip incredibly worthwhile.

Things I don't like are:

~The vast disparity of wealth between the highest and lowest classes of society. Just a few streets away from the most expensive shopping malls in Makati you can see people living on the streets; the most shocking part for me was seeing them living in their makeshift tents on the ROAD DIVIDERS. You know those thin strips that are the dividers of the roads? THAT'S where they lived and it broke my heart. I saw so many naked children, or almost naked ones, running around. I also saw many kids playing with one toy vehicle, and they were SO happy even though they had to share. I teared up just looking at them. Then I go to the expensive shopping malls (Greenbelt, Landmark, Mall of Asia, etc) and I felt a little disgusted. So much wealth in the malls, and so little on the streets.

~The horrible traffic jams.

~Not many air-conditioned buses! The jeepneys were okay but by golly, in traffic and with all the exhaust in the air... *coughs*

~The crowds of people in the malls, in buses, in jeepneys, EVERYWHERE.

~Balut. Hahaha. :D I actually got tricked by my friends into eating balut and it was pretty nasty!

On the whole I enjoyed the Philippines, but point number one under "things I don't like" still sticks with me. When I was at Clark Airport, on my way home, I was approached by some UNICEF Philippines people. Remembering what I had seen and what I felt, I signed up to be a sponsor for UNICEF Philippines on a monthly basis. I know I know, I've heard criticisms about UNICEF and all that, but I pray that the little I give is able to help a little, too.

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Try to have more activity. Since you are the visitor, people do most of the things for you.

They're shy. You look different too, their hand is paralyzed with "amazement".

This prize is not in Manila. Prize range is from 150-800 per ticket

:no:

There are a lot of corrupt people there. When you feel yo are a little harassed, the magic line is "Where is your supervisor?"

It's because a lot of people do not have credit card. The business will still run even if you do not have credit card machine. Go to the mall, that's for sure they accept credit card. But some don't still. One of the many surprises to me is SBARRO.I love SBARRO but they do not accept credit card too.

I got an online account with at least 3 banks but not all of my utilities are tied up to them. IN any bank, there's always at least one bill that will be left behind. SO just pay them over the counter all at once.

it depends on the management of the establishment. LTO- you can go to malls, NBI same thing- they have offices in malls that got shorter lines.

Minimum wage in Manila is 389-426. Provinces are lower. Food is higher for you because you feed other people aside from your fiancee. It is also advisable not to bring you in a filthy market so better get it in the air-conditioned market.

Heh. Thanks for the replies.

You're right about not having much activity, but then again when I'm in The Philippines I'm on a vacation heh. I tend to do things on my own and prefer not to hire anyone to do it for me.

LOL, I look the same as most Filipinos, since I am one lol. I just grew up in the US, particularly in The South where it's a common courtesy to wave to people and say hello. I think it's just not as normal in The Philippines. Though the people who tend to wave back to me were usually Fil-Ams or previously lived in the US and understand the custom.

Heh, you're right about movie ticket prices, I wasn't trying to be exact hehe, but it's relatively much more cheaper to watch a movie in The Philippines than in the USA.

Heh, yep that line tends to help, but what works even better is if you actually know someone in government who has some power and mentions their name and when they don't believe you, you call the person and things get straightened out very quickly. This happened at DFA concerning my fiancee's passport and we called a friend who some how managed to make everything move so much faster.

I understand that some businesses in The Philippines don't accept credit cards, but NAIA being the #1 airport for The Philippines, it's inexcusable not to have credit card payments for their terminal fees and such. Why is that I can buy things from the Duty Free shops at NAIA with my credit card, but can't pay my terminal and security fees with my credit card? Only reason why they won't allow credit card payments is probably because the government does not want to pay credit card processing fees to credit card companies, which means lesser money to corrupt officials.

Whenever my fiancee and I had to pay bills, we always had to run to different places to pay them. First we had to go to bank to withdraw money, then go to SM to pay our electric bill, then we go pay our water bill at the water company, then we go to the cable company to pay our internet. Lot of times, it took us half a day to accomplish this. We have online bank account with BDO but they don't service are utility companies.

The lines are still long though. We've been to those NBI offices in the malls and many times they had hundreds of people waiting. Also, even though minimum wages are laws, many people don't follow them. I know people in Manila getting paid 150-200 pesos a day. They can't complain because they don't want to lose their job. Anyway, even if a person was being paid lawfully the minimum wage, it will still take him at least 2 days to buy a family size pizza at Pizza Hut.

Heh, actually I just buy food for my fiancee and I. I wasn't comparing the quanity of food I buy, but the overall cost of foods in The Philippines tend to be higher or close to the prices in the USA if you convert kilos to pounds/pesos to dollars. For example price of Coca-Cola: The US only carries 2 liters and last time I was at the grocery store the price for a 2 Liter Coke was $1.25 USD. The Philippines have 1.5 liter and half liter, with cost at 38 pesos and 16 pesos which added together = 54 pesos. Let's set the Php/USD exchange rate at 43.00Php/$1.00 USD, it's probably lower now, but we'll stick with 43.00. So with this... 54 pesos exchange into dollars is $1.25+ so Coca-Cola in the USA and in The Philippines are the same prices. Although, our food bill tends to be higher because my fiancee likes to buy higher end brands. I actually shop in palengkes alone, as long as you know the prices and the people selling to you, I never had any problems going out on my own to palengke. I even speak English all the way too and never had a communication problem.

Yikes, this was long. Sorry heh.

Vermont Service Center

US Embassy In Manila, The Philippines

I-129F Sent: 2011-04-25

I-129F NOA1: 2011-04-26

I-129F NOA2: 2011-09-29

NVC Received:2011-09-29

NVC Left: 2011-10-18

Consulate Received: 2011-11-03

Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-07

Interview Date: 2011-11-23

Interview Result: Approved!

Timeline

Well because most number of the Filipino Immigrant are Ilocanos. They are hardworking and very competitive. Wonder why most of them are in CA even if it's expensive to live there?

Happy New Year!

Timeline
Filipinos are very tribal in nature and all too willing to please the family as opposed to pleasing themselves and will do mostly as the family wishes. I tried dating Filipnas in the US, if the family here does not approve of you, it will not happen. If a guy here does not meet their career and financial expectations, does not live in the right area or have much potential to earn exceptional money... it won't happen. Now I speak from my experience in California.

:thumbs: CA? They are mostly Ilocanos that's how they are brought up. My dad is from Pangasinan, and have that kind of mentality.

When you bring a guy, they don't care how he looks like, as long as you could please your relatives with his background that's fine.

Life is difficult so you have to strive extra hard. If we need to swim and walk 3hrs with an empty stomach just to finish school, that what we'll do. You can't help it by choosing a lazy partner and doesn't have an ability to provide good life with your future kids. A guy doesn't have to be like Donald Trump, someone that looks got a potential is fine.

I do not have a relative that didn't finish school, got pregnant at 18 or a male cousin that married with financial uncertainty. Well I speak for myself.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

In this forum, I feel the love and the respect. However, the way many Filipino immigrants act here turns me off. (They are rude, selfish, conniving, and overly sensitive.) I was active in the Filipino community when my wife first arrived, and the meetings always turned out to be drag-out verbal brawls. I can't stand this, "Either you are my ally, or you are my enemy thing," especially among the women. The men are just drunks. Now, I stay away, and just drop the wife off to the get-together's.

Well because most number of the Filipino Immigrant are Ilocanos. They are hardworking and very competitive. Wonder why most of them are in CA even if it's expensive to live there?

Is that what they call competitive?

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

Whenever my fiancee and I had to pay bills, we always had to run to different places to pay them. First we had to go to bank to withdraw money, then go to SM to pay our electric bill, then we go pay our water bill at the water company, then we go to the cable company to pay our internet. Lot of times, it took us half a day to accomplish this. We have online bank account with BDO but they don't service are utility companies.

Use Wells Fargo to put money in BDO. You can wire money from $10-1000 for just $5 transaction fee. It's for free if you have a prime account with them. When she goes to SM, she just have to line up in Customer Service or BDO itself. I pay 5 utility bills all-in- 1 lining up. I haven't tried setting up an online account with BDO but I assume they are connected with almost all merchants. I just prefer to line up since I go out a lot anyway.

The lines are still long though. We've been to those NBI offices in the malls and many times they had hundreds of people waiting. Also, even though minimum wages are laws, many people don't follow them.

Agree. DFA, you can't help it. I lined up for 3hrs to get my passport but they just delivered it in my house. NBI, I always go to the main office because my name is very ordinary so line is long too. Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: Timeline

Great! Then I'm not alone in my assessment of what I've witnessed and experienced personally.

In fact, I've invited Filipino friends out, and they'll ask me, "How many other Filipinos will be there?"

I go anyway for the food, drink and to socialize... I avoid the drama.

Filipinos in the US, the elderly especially love the drama and gossip. I hate to sound racist to my own people but I'm more comfortable surrounded with non-Filipinos. LOL. At least, compared to the non-relatives. So far I have no problem with most of my relatives here.

I dunno if its universally human but usually I find Filipinos, when they leave the Philippines, far more nosy than the Filipinos in the Philippines

Filed: Timeline

mapletree,

You make good points, hence the reason I would not make a good Filipino. I have too much of the rugged American 'individual' streak in my blood. However, I think it is very noble for one to gain some success then reach back to help other family members to achieve. But there is a helluva big difference from family 'expecting and demanding' help, to the help being 'voluntary.'

I know so many filipinos under tremendous financial stress due to sending money back to the Philippines each month.

There are other groups that suffer from the same "crab" mentality also, black Americans are a good example.

As a side note, but keeping close to the topic.

Filipinos are very tribal in nature and all too willing to please the family as opposed to pleasing themselves and will do mostly as the family wishes. I tried dating Filipnas in the US, if the family here does not approve of you, it will not happen. If a guy here does not meet their career and financial expectations, does not live in the right area or have much potential to earn exceptional money... it won't happen. Now I speak from my experience in California.

That is why I turned to the 'motherland' to look for a Pinay.

There is a lot of truth in what you say. It does not help that in the Philippines having a relative abroad "elevates" ones social status which gives the family in the Philippines to spend as if money grow on trees. Not all of course but that is very common.

And your observation on the partner not meeting the financial and career expectations, it's not limited to Filipinos in the US, it is the dominant mentality in the Philippines. Someone marrying below their "social status" is considered "scandalous" and "bad decision". It's either you "marry up" or marry someone of the same social status.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is a lot of truth in what you say. It does not help that in the Philippines having a relative abroad "elevates" ones social status which gives the family in the Philippines to spend as if money grow on trees. Not all of course but that is very common.

And your observation on the partner not meeting the financial and career expectations, it's not limited to Filipinos in the US, it is the dominant mentality in the Philippines. Someone marrying below their "social status" is considered "scandalous" and "bad decision". It's either you "marry up" or marry someone of the same social status.

That serious huh! The bad decision part I get, but scandalous is taking it a pretty serious.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Filipinos in the US, the elderly especially love the drama and gossip. I hate to sound racist to my own people but I'm more comfortable surrounded with non-Filipinos. LOL. At least, compared to the non-relatives. So far I have no problem with most of my relatives here.

I dunno if its universally human but usually I find Filipinos, when they leave the Philippines, far more nosy than the Filipinos in the Philippines

I once had an older Pinay for a roommate many years ago (in fact she introduced me to my ex wife-I could kill her for that) and boy, she stayed in my business.

No, your don't sound racist, it's factual and how you feel. I can assure you, I avoid people that look like me whenever possible. That's why I live where I live, a city with lots of Asians and Persians.

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

Well those old people loves to bond through gossips and they're retired so they need fun :rofl: If you want to be out of their topic then just either do good things or stay away from them. If you're really good, you know that they're proud of you and can't stop talking about you either. Just all good stuff as if you are their pride and joy. I want to move in the are where there's a lot of Filipinos sounds like I want to stay in Cleveland. :bonk:

Is that what they call competitive?

Some are competitive some are jealous but some are just plain bi*ch :rofl:

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Timeline

As for me, I don't like those people that are nice to you then turns out that they actually need financial favor. It's kinda complicated too if you're the only "loaded" one in the group. Every time you are invited or you invite people- whether a trip, little good time, vacation, there's kinda non-verbal agreement that you will pay for everybody. This may be ok at first but once you started this kind of pattern, this will go an on and on.

Happy New Year!

Timeline

As for me, I don't like those people that are nice to you then turns out that they actually need financial favor. It's kinda complicated too if you're the only "loaded" one in the group. Every time you are invited or you invite people- whether a trip, little good time, vacation, there's kinda non-verbal agreement that you will pay for everybody. This may be ok at first but once you started this kind of pattern, this will go an on and on.

This happened to my fiancee many times in the past, she quickly learned from it and just stopped hanging out with those "friends" who take advantage of the financial situation. It actually helps that she now has friends who are financially capable of paying their own way.

Vermont Service Center

US Embassy In Manila, The Philippines

I-129F Sent: 2011-04-25

I-129F NOA1: 2011-04-26

I-129F NOA2: 2011-09-29

NVC Received:2011-09-29

NVC Left: 2011-10-18

Consulate Received: 2011-11-03

Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-07

Interview Date: 2011-11-23

Interview Result: Approved!

Timeline

This happened to my fiancee many times in the past, she quickly learned from it and just stopped hanging out with those "friends" who take advantage of the financial situation. It actually helps that she now has friends who are financially capable of paying their own way.

This is what they call "pakikisama" or the art of mingling. If you are this "unreachable" and you don't want to mingle with your "inferior" friends, you will be called "mayabang" or cocky. "If they don't have money" which sometimes mean- treat me out, I'd rather go alone.

NOTE: I am not rich, I still live in a mountain with no fridge, I still flush my toilet with a bucket of water...whatever I have is a product of hardwork and determination but I am more financially capable than most of my friends.

I now understand why "rich people" don't like "poor ones". Not all poor people is a freeloader but the rest are kinda stereotyped.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.