TeapotGirl

Needs advice about wiring money to the Philippines

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will be leaving a lot of pending business here in the Philippines. I will have an unpaid lot, credit card, pending SSS Loan and I want to continue my contribution.

I do not like to use MoneyGram, Xoom or LBC because it eats up a lot of transaction fee.

For 3yrs, my fiance gave me his ATM to save money for his vacation here (he's a spendthrift and money is kinda tight as well). He's only charged for $6 for every $235 or less that I get. I am looking for other ways to wire money but here are my situation...

-I am thinking about opening up a BDO account but there's no BDO in Cleveland. I cant try to open up an account remotely but how much is the charge?

-How about PNB? I heard it's cheaper but I don't know how much?

-Can my brother open up an account here and I'll just wire a money through my husbands account from Cleveland using computer?

-How is the swift code work?

-The only banks that I know exists on both Cleveland and the Philippines are HSBC and Citibank. Can my brother open up an account here on either banks then I'll just deposit a money in it? Does it need swift code? Anybody knows about the charge?

Leaving my husbands ATM is the best thing that I could think of now but not that I do not trust my brother for the ATM but I am looking for other ways to transfer money in the Philippines when I am already in the US.

Any input will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Happy New Year!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Bank wires generally run $10.00. Western Union, 3-day to a bank account is generally $8.00. The key is to wire larger amounts fewer times. $200 is a 5% wire fee. $1000 is a 1% wire fee.

Even moving money into a PNB branch here in the USA is not as easy as you think it should be.

--------------------------------

Priorty Date: June 22, 2011

Interview Sept. 7, 2012

Visa in hand, Sept 15, 2012

Timeline
3-day to a bank account is generally $8.00. The key is to wire larger amounts fewer times.

Is that a flat rate or it depends on how much you're going to send?

So I am still going to pay even if I'll just deposit to my brothers account in the Philippines?

Happy New Year!

You can open a BDO account for your brother here and then open a Wells Fargo account when you get to the US. You can transfer directly from a Wells Fargo account to a BDO account. The fee is $5 per transaction, whether you're transferring $100 or $1000.

USCIS

03/21/11 - I-130 petition sent

03/25/11 - NOA1

09/08/11 - NOA2

NVC

09/12/11 - Case received by NVC

09/29/11 - NVC case number generated

09/30/11 - Received DS-3032 and I-864 bill

10/02/11 - Paid I-864 bill and emailed DS-3032

10/03/11 - NVC accepted DS-3032

10/04/11 - Received IV bill/I-864 bill marked as paid

10/21/11 - Paid IV bill10/24/11 - IV bill marked as paid

11/03/11 - Mailed I-864 and DS-230 packages

11/04/11 - I-864 and DS-230 packages reached NVC

11/10/11 - Case completed

11/29/11 - Received interview appointment letter

SLEC/Manila Consulate

11/04/11 & 11/08/11 - Medical exam completed and passed

01/03/12 - Interview - Approved!

01/04/12 - Visa issued

01/09/12 - Visa received

US Entry

01/17/12 - POE: Honolulu; with connecting flight to San Francisco

02/09/12 - Applied for SSN at SSA office

02/11/12 - Welcome letter arrived in the mail

02/13/12 - 2-yr green card arrived in the mail

Removal of Conditions

12/09/13 - I-751 petition sent

12/11/13 - NOA1 receipt date

12/12/13 - Money order cashed

01/06/14 - Biometrics appointment

04/10/14 - RFE

07/03/14 - RFE response sent

07/22/14 - ROC approved!

07/31/14 - Estimated arrival of 10-year GC, according to USPS tracking

Timeline

You can open a BDO account for your brother here and then open a Wells Fargo account when you get to the US. You can transfer directly from a Wells Fargo account to a BDO account. The fee is $5 per transaction, whether you're transferring $100 or $1000.

Really?! Wow!I see there's Wells Fargo in Cleveland. This could work. Thanks...

Get a PMA acct at wells fargo. Great/fair dollar>>peso conversion rate and NO transaction fee!

Word!

:star:

What's PMA? I can xfer funds to the Philippines for free?

Happy New Year!

I don't know about HSBC but before I went here, I went to Citibank to inquire and the maintaining balance is like P150,000-P500,000. I felt so poor sitting in their office in front of an officer... hahahaha, but in fairness, he was so nice to me, if he only knew what's in my head (I was like, #######??? P150 thousand???!!!)

What I am doing now now is opened an account at Wells Fargo for their Expresssend, its like $7 dollar per send, I just do not know if there is a ceiling or something since I only sent enough for my monthly credit card payments (I had my account applied to a 0% payment so I get to pay an exact amount every month).

My bank in the Philippines is BPI and before I left, I enrolled my account to BPI Express online, then enrolled my credit card as third party merchant (my credit card is not BPI). I think BDO is also good for this too. Just make sure that your credit card company and SSS is including in their list of merchants. I think Metrobank has the same product too.

So basically what I can do now with Wells Fargo Expresssend and BPI account are:

1. Send money to my Philippine account online (with a fee of $7 per send), i send money every other month just to save with the fees.

2. Send my money online to my brother who has also a BPI account, this is free using BPI expressonline. (make sure that you enroll your relative account to your account before you left the Philippines)

3. Pay my credit card bills online, this is also free (make sure that you also enroll your credit card account to your BPI expressonline account)

Hope this help.

What's PMA? I can xfer funds to the Philippines for free?

You may not qualify for a PMA acct, but Wells Fargo is about the best deal going to wire money to the PI, even if you have to pay $5 each transaction. If you have your mortgage with WF, they give you better terms as well. Inquire within.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

No problem! :) We do this regularly. We transfer money from a Wells Fargo account directly to a BDO account, and the transaction fee is always $5, whether we're transferring a few hundreds or more than $1000. There's a minimum amount you can transfer, and I could be mistaken, but I think it's $25.

USCIS

03/21/11 - I-130 petition sent

03/25/11 - NOA1

09/08/11 - NOA2

NVC

09/12/11 - Case received by NVC

09/29/11 - NVC case number generated

09/30/11 - Received DS-3032 and I-864 bill

10/02/11 - Paid I-864 bill and emailed DS-3032

10/03/11 - NVC accepted DS-3032

10/04/11 - Received IV bill/I-864 bill marked as paid

10/21/11 - Paid IV bill10/24/11 - IV bill marked as paid

11/03/11 - Mailed I-864 and DS-230 packages

11/04/11 - I-864 and DS-230 packages reached NVC

11/10/11 - Case completed

11/29/11 - Received interview appointment letter

SLEC/Manila Consulate

11/04/11 & 11/08/11 - Medical exam completed and passed

01/03/12 - Interview - Approved!

01/04/12 - Visa issued

01/09/12 - Visa received

US Entry

01/17/12 - POE: Honolulu; with connecting flight to San Francisco

02/09/12 - Applied for SSN at SSA office

02/11/12 - Welcome letter arrived in the mail

02/13/12 - 2-yr green card arrived in the mail

Removal of Conditions

12/09/13 - I-751 petition sent

12/11/13 - NOA1 receipt date

12/12/13 - Money order cashed

01/06/14 - Biometrics appointment

04/10/14 - RFE

07/03/14 - RFE response sent

07/22/14 - ROC approved!

07/31/14 - Estimated arrival of 10-year GC, according to USPS tracking

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is a very helpful posts.

For those who have experienced and know about this kind, is Wells Fargo hAve each branches of each state in the US? Say, Washington State?

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][i]
[/i][/color][/size] [size="5"]God Bless![/size]
[size="5"]BobGee[/size][/font]

[u]AOS TIMELINE:[/u]

01-30-2012: Submitted AOS application thru USPS (Chicago Lockbox)
02-06-2012: Received Text/Email, application received by USCIS
02-10-2012: Received mail/hard copy of I-131 (NOA)
02-15-2012: Received mails/hard copies of I-765 & I-485 (NOAs) / Mail for Biometrics Appt.
03-06-2012: Biometrics Appointment done
03-14-2012: Received mail for Interview Appt on 16th April 2012.
04-04-2012: EAD/AP approved
04-12-2012: EAD/AP card received ;-)
04-16-2012: Interview day - Approved! (waiting for GC)
04-23-2012: Welcome Letter touched
05-03-2012: GC on hand!

[b][color="#ff8c00"]*** Thank You LORD! ***[/color][/b][b][color="#ff8c00"]

[url="http://www.ezticker.com/"]
[img]http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/100/202/20120130/AOS/ticker.png[/img]
[/url][/color][/b]

Timeline

This is a very helpful posts.

For those who have experienced and know about this kind, is Wells Fargo hAve each branches of each state in the US? Say, Washington State?

Click here to be specific.

Happy New Year!

Timeline

I don't know about HSBC but before I went here, I went to Citibank to inquire and the maintaining balance is like P150,000-P500,000. I felt so poor sitting in their office in front of an officer... hahahaha, but in fairness, he was so nice to me, if he only knew what's in my head (I was like, #######??? P150 thousand???!!!)

:rofl: I'd feel the same thing.

Happy New Year!

Timeline

Click here to be specific.

Excellent! :thumbs:

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][i]
[/i][/color][/size] [size="5"]God Bless![/size]
[size="5"]BobGee[/size][/font]

[u]AOS TIMELINE:[/u]

01-30-2012: Submitted AOS application thru USPS (Chicago Lockbox)
02-06-2012: Received Text/Email, application received by USCIS
02-10-2012: Received mail/hard copy of I-131 (NOA)
02-15-2012: Received mails/hard copies of I-765 & I-485 (NOAs) / Mail for Biometrics Appt.
03-06-2012: Biometrics Appointment done
03-14-2012: Received mail for Interview Appt on 16th April 2012.
04-04-2012: EAD/AP approved
04-12-2012: EAD/AP card received ;-)
04-16-2012: Interview day - Approved! (waiting for GC)
04-23-2012: Welcome Letter touched
05-03-2012: GC on hand!

[b][color="#ff8c00"]*** Thank You LORD! ***[/color][/b][b][color="#ff8c00"]

[url="http://www.ezticker.com/"]
[img]http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/100/202/20120130/AOS/ticker.png[/img]
[/url][/color][/b]

Timeline

I will be leaving a lot of pending business here in the Philippines. I will have an unpaid lot, credit card, pending SSS Loan and I want to continue my contribution.

I do not like to use MoneyGram, Xoom or LBC because it eats up a lot of transaction fee.

For 3yrs, my fiance gave me his ATM to save money for his vacation here (he's a spendthrift and money is kinda tight as well). He's only charged for $6 for every $235 or less that I get. I am looking for other ways to wire money but here are my situation...

-I am thinking about opening up a BDO account but there's no BDO in Cleveland. I cant try to open up an account remotely but how much is the charge?

-How about PNB? I heard it's cheaper but I don't know how much?

-Can my brother open up an account here and I'll just wire a money through my husbands account from Cleveland using computer?

-How is the swift code work?

-The only banks that I know exists on both Cleveland and the Philippines are HSBC and Citibank. Can my brother open up an account here on either banks then I'll just deposit a money in it? Does it need swift code? Anybody knows about the charge?

Leaving my husbands ATM is the best thing that I could think of now but not that I do not trust my brother for the ATM but I am looking for other ways to transfer money in the Philippines when I am already in the US.

Any input will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Here's how we do it now. It costs $5.00 each time and we can send up to $1000 per day. My fiancee has a BPI account. I have a Wells Fargo account. Open a checking account at Wells Fargo, Take all the BPI info to the Wells Fargo Branch (there's alot in Massachusetts) BPI and Wells Fargo has a partnership. The first transaction has to be done at the branch after that it can be done on line. It's always in her account by 10:00 am the next business day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.