pax

Thinking about Morocco

10 posts in this topic

Even though it's still a looooong way off, Ewen and I are starting to think about where we'd like to honeymoon (we probably won't be able to have one until '08). Somehow we got the idea in our heads that Morocco might be cool.

I know a lot of you ladies have been to Morocco, sometimes more than once, so can you share your thoughts on travel to Morocco? Ewen and I aren't into "package"-y type vacations and prefer spontaneous, non-tourist-y type things to do. I will most definitely require a beach, however. ;) How affordable is it? Any places to particularly avoid, or any places you'd especially recommend?

Thanks very much. :)

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Pax

Jamal and I stayed in Kenitra at a villa there... it was not very expensive... and the beach is beautiful!!! We also went to the beach in Rabat... but not sure how much it would cost to stay there. Wishing you the best!

Blessings,

Lynne

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

There are a LOT of bed and breakfast type places in all price ranges all over morocco, lots of renovated riads and stuff like that. I found a lot by doing searches on the web, I can't remember right now (I'm at work) but when I get home I will try to find those sites.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Na'am...Morocco is a beautiful country! There are many places to visit in Morocco. If you are not fond of the 'touristy' type, there are many places which are very affordable and fun to visit. I would definitely look for the list of places and bed and breakfast from Sara.

My fiance is from Kenitra...not a tourist town at all. The beach there is very beautiful and there are many villas to rent on the beach as well as farther away. The beach in Rabat is also wonderful...the old market is a wonderful place to shop, there really are many things to do. We alway make trips from Kenitra to Rabat for shopping, and I absolutely love it.

(F) ~Kiya~ (F)

~ Returns & Refusals...What They Don't Tell You ~

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, all information provided is from years of research and personal experiences of those affected by returned visa petitions/applications. If this is happening to you, my personal advice is to research the facts, hire a good immigration lawyer who can demonstrate they specialize in returned/denied visa petitions and applications.

~ Faith, Patience, Perseverance ~

Filed: Timeline

The only place I'd recommend staying away from if you aren't into touristy is Agadir. It is a beatiful huge resort that caters to the rich, so it is very pricy. Abdel really wanted to take me there because one of his friends worked at the resort there, but even with his friend there it was over $200 a night for a room.

I wanted to go to Tangier, but he said that is pretty touristy also. He recommended Fes if you prefer history and beauty, but that doesn't have a beach. I loved his city, Taza, since it is still unaware of it's hugely touristic attractions.

I think some have been to Essouria and found it to be very beautiful. Maybe some of them will log in later and give you some input on it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

How can you go wrong in Morocco! :dance:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

I love Marrakesh... It has a side that's very touristy, but it's also beautiful and romantic, and if you choose wisely is very affordable. I think it'd be a great place for a honeymoon! It's easier to get around if you speak French or Arabic, or Spanish in the North.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Timeline

I have been once to Morocco and loved it - all of it, from Casablanca to Rabat to Mohammedia to Martil to Tangier to Marrakech to Tetouan. Altho, my faves for return visits (vacationing) would be Marrakech (a little touristy, but lovely and wonderful - so much fun) and Martil (gorgeous beaches on the Mediterranean). Casa is wonderful for me b/c of family. However, in one month I will go for my second time and we will go to some places I have not yet been, so I'll report on those upon my return. This trip I plan/hope to see Fes, Essouria, maybe Safi, and definitely Marrakech again. Of course, Casa and Rabat b/c those are home base....

Feel free to PM me for details on any of these places... and as Sharon (kerewin) said, knowing French and/or Arabic definitely helps and Spanish if you're going to be up north.

I don't think you could go too wrong in any of these places!

Noura :thumbs:

oh yea... if you go to Tangier, you can take a short ferry ride across the straight of Gibraltar to Southern Spain. We didn't have time, but I'd love to check that out sometime...

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have been to Morocco twice but we never really went many places besides Rabat, Casabalanca, and Agadir. Mostly cause everytime I went my husband was still working. I wish I could go back and see him but I dont see how he can get time off and I cant get time off and I cant get the money to go. But Id SO love to go and be able to see my husband again. Im so sick of chatting online I want to see my real live husband!!

Timeline

If you like getting around on your own, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Lonely planet - Morocco. I lived in Morocco for 18 months and toured every corner of the country with the help of that guide.

Like others mentioned, the most popular cities are definitely Fez and Marrakech. I never had a good experience in Tangier, but the hardy might like it. As far as beach towns go, I'd recommend Essaouira in the relative south or Asilah in the north. Both are pretty and mostly quiet. The desert is also really gorgeous, but it totally depends on what you're looking for.

I'd be happy to help if you have any other questions.

Have fun! :)

12/04-01/05 Gathered information for the I-129F

01/28/05 Sent I-129F

02/02/05 NOA1 Notice Date (his last name misspelled! *argh*)

02/10/05 - 02/24/05 Visiting my habiba in Morocco!

02/25/05 NOA2 Approval Notice!!!!

03/01/05 NOA2 Received in mail!

03/14/05 Received email from My case was forwarded to Morocco March 10th. Yay!

03/22/05 Youness received Packet 3

04/08/05 Medical Checkup

04/26/05 FedExed Affidavits & Stuff

04/30/05 Youness received the Affidavits

Interview Date: May 16!!

Approved!

05/20/05 Youness picks up the visa!

He arrived 8/4!

Wedding: 8/20/05

09/02/05 Received SSN, library card, and added to bank account.

09/27/05 Received marriage certificate

10/06/05 Civil Surgeon completes Vaccination Supplement

10/11/05 AOS Application mailed!

10/20/05 NOAs received for AOS, EAD, and AP.

11/07/05 Received appointment for Biometrics: 11/22

12/23/05 Received EAD/AP

02/15/06 AOS Interview!

03/16/06 Infopass appt: no green card in sight.

Mid July: Surprise! GC in the mail. We're very pleased. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.