maning

Any Philippine RNs who moved to the USA with a K/Spouse Visa?

33 posts in this topic

I'm applying for a Vermont license. They don't require an English proficiency test, but they need a CES report from CGFNS.

After Vermont, I'm planning to have my license endorsed to Alabama, where we're planning on residing (and working, of course.)

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't know, but you might be right about New York being the only state which doesn't require a foreign-trained nurse to have a license in their own country. It's worth checking into some more.

Also, after checking into it some more, it appears that Illinois requires a foreign-trained nurse to have had a license in their own country even if they are applying for licensure by endorsement. That issue is worth a phone call to the Illinois BON for clarification.

Yeah that's right. And I also read that they need proof of employment for at least 2 years in the State where you are endorsing from. Not sure but... OMG! No way around it!

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

That's right, Leatherneck. :thumbs: Chinook was a nurse in 'Pinas, passed the NCLEX-RN here in the States, and is now working as an RN here in Seattle.

Manny & Cel, below is a post I made in a recent thread. I hope it helps:

The NCLEX-RN process here in the States is the same as it is in 'Pinas. Only the price is different. It costs $350 in 'Pinas (and often travel expenses too). It costs $200 in the U.S. You can apply for the ATT (authorization to test) through any state in the U.S. Each state has its own requirements. Once you have fulfilled the requirements of the state where you applied, and have received the ATT, you can sit for the NCLEX-RN anywhere you want, including your home town. You do not need to take the test in the state where you applied for the ATT.

Once you pass the NCLEX-RN, you will be issued an RN license by the state which gave you the ATT. That license authorizes you to work as an RN in that state. If you instead want to work in the state where you live, you can transfer your license to your state through a procedure called "license by endorsement." Each state has it's own requirements for licensing by endorsement. Once you have completed the licensing by endorsement process, you will be licensed in your state and can go to work as an RN.

Chinook applied through the state of Vermont for the ATT, and was accepted. She sat for the NCLEX-RN in the state of Washington. She passed the test, and was licensed by the State of Vermont. Then she applied through the State of Washington for a license by endorsement. It took a month or so for Washington to grant her a license. Chinook started working as an RN here in Washington about three months after the Washington State Board of Nursing issued her license.

Here are Chinook's recommendations for preparing for the NCLEX-RN:

> Saunders Comprehensive Fourth Edition-- A good book for the basics. Also, pay attention to the Pharma.

> Exam Cram-- A good book for analysis. The practice questions are similar in style to the actual test.

> LaCharity-- A good book for prioritization.

> NCLEX3500-- Free online review. Good for analysis. Questions are more challenging than Saunders.

> Memorize only the very basic lab values. If you try to understand the concept first, the analysis becomes easier.

> Answer at least 100 questions every day.

> Chinook self-studied for the NCLEX-RN. She always wanted to feel fresh and relaxed when she was studying, so she would study for an hour or so at a time. Then, when she was feeling tired, she would take a short nap.

Good luck on the NCLEX. There are jobs out there waiting for you!

I know you're the go-to man with regards to helping newly arrived/yet to arrive Pinay RNs to the USA.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

Yeah that's right. And I also read that they need proof of employment for at least 2 years in the State where you are endorsing from. Not sure but... OMG! No way around it!

Maybe this can be of some help to you.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

I'm a nursing graduate, and came to the US under the K1 visa process. However, I already passed my Nclex when I was in the Philippines. I am now waiting for my AOS approval, and started applying for jobs in the meantime. Having a hard time because they're all asking for experience, but still keeping positive, and will keep on trying.

On a scale of 0-100, how stressful is the job of an RN? As much I like the "glamor" of my wife to have title of RN, I really don't want her all stressed out working the midnight to noon shift at the hospital, and then come home to me looking like this :girlwerewolf2xn:.

Peace.

:cry2:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm a nursing graduate, and came to the US under the K1 visa process. However, I already passed my Nclex when I was in the Philippines. I am now waiting for my AOS approval, and started applying for jobs in the meantime. Having a hard time because they're all asking for experience, but still keeping positive, and will keep on trying.

Which do you think was harder... NLE or NCLEX? Some of our friends thought NLE was harder.

Vermont Service Center

US Embassy In Manila, The Philippines

I-129F Sent: 2011-04-25

I-129F NOA1: 2011-04-26

I-129F NOA2: 2011-09-29

NVC Received:2011-09-29

NVC Left: 2011-10-18

Consulate Received: 2011-11-03

Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-07

Interview Date: 2011-11-23

Interview Result: Approved!

Timeline

Good thing you're in California, there are tons of Pinay nurses, so maybe you will get lucky and find a hospital with a Pinay DON that will take you with no experience.

Edited by Leatherneck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

On a scale of 0-100, how stressful is the job of an RN? As much I like the "glamor" of my wife to have title of RN, I really don't want her all stressed out working the midnight to noon shift at the hospital, and then come home to me looking like this :girlwerewolf2xn:.

Peace.

:cry2:

i work nights ( 7pm- 7am) less chaos, less stressful, more money :), i would say it is 30, and it depends of the group of patients u have.

Which do you think was harder... NLE or NCLEX? Some of our friends thought NLE was harder.

yes for me NLE is harder.

August 21, 2008: I-129F sent

August 30, 2008: NOA1

February 02, 2009: NOA2

March 2-3, 2009: Medical at St. Luke's

March 19, 2009: interview US Embassy- Manila

March 24, 2009: Visa received

April 02, 2009: CFO at PRISM

June 30, 2009: Dylan & Douglas enter USA together POE Chicago

July 3, 2009: applied for marriage license

July 7, 2009: got Married and received marriage certificate

July 28, 2009: SSN received

AOS

August 19, 2009: AOS sent

August 25, 2009: NOA (AP,EAD,AOS)

August 31, 2009: received Biometrics appointment for AOS & EAD (dated Aug.27,2009)

Sept.18, 2009: Case transferred to CSC

Sept.24, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Sept.28,2009: EAD & AP Approval

Oct. 5,2009: received EAD card & AP (mail)

Nov.5,2009: AOS approved( 72days from NOA)

Nov. 13, 2009: GC received(mail)

Removing Conditions I-751

Sept. 20,2011: Sent I-751 Petition to remove conditions

June 2012: 10 year GC approved

N400 Naturalization

August 16,2012 : Sent N400

August 31, 2012 : early Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i came here in the US with no experience, took me 4 months to get a job, now i have been working as a RN for more 18months now. I got a pinay preceptor too which is really a big, big help! :) Good Luck to you, hope u get a job soon!

August 21, 2008: I-129F sent

August 30, 2008: NOA1

February 02, 2009: NOA2

March 2-3, 2009: Medical at St. Luke's

March 19, 2009: interview US Embassy- Manila

March 24, 2009: Visa received

April 02, 2009: CFO at PRISM

June 30, 2009: Dylan & Douglas enter USA together POE Chicago

July 3, 2009: applied for marriage license

July 7, 2009: got Married and received marriage certificate

July 28, 2009: SSN received

AOS

August 19, 2009: AOS sent

August 25, 2009: NOA (AP,EAD,AOS)

August 31, 2009: received Biometrics appointment for AOS & EAD (dated Aug.27,2009)

Sept.18, 2009: Case transferred to CSC

Sept.24, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Sept.28,2009: EAD & AP Approval

Oct. 5,2009: received EAD card & AP (mail)

Nov.5,2009: AOS approved( 72days from NOA)

Nov. 13, 2009: GC received(mail)

Removing Conditions I-751

Sept. 20,2011: Sent I-751 Petition to remove conditions

June 2012: 10 year GC approved

N400 Naturalization

August 16,2012 : Sent N400

August 31, 2012 : early Biometrics

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I am now working as an RN in CA. I came here without experience, since I was from a different medical field, and was hired. Been RN here for 3 years now. I applied with the CA BON, they did not require the NLE, so I went ahead and took the NCLEX without the NLE. I took it in HK since we didn't have it in the Philippines at that time. If I remember it right, Vermont didn't require the NLE, too.

If you want to work in CA, feel free to send me a PM, cause I think the hospital where I work in are hiring new grads. In fact, they are offering Versant Residency program for new RNs.

Maybe this can be of some help to you.

Leatherneck...thanks for posting the link... :thumbs:...it's a great place to start for anyone who is contemplating the NCLEX. Also, it includes links to every state BON.

Congratz on passing the NCLEX. :star:

Even though Chinook had only six months of volunteer nursing in 'Pinas, she got a job fairly quickly here in the U.S. She's now a charge nurse at a nursing home. Have you applied at any nursing homes? Many of them like to hire Pinoys. When it comes to nursing home hiring, I think good English language skills can be more important than experience.

Nursing can be very stressful depending on the particular field of nursing one choses to go into.

Chinook said the NLE was more difficult than the NCLEX. It took a lot longer too.

Timeline

Leatherneck...thanks for posting the link... :thumbs:...it's a great place to start for anyone who is contemplating the NCLEX. Also, it includes links to every state BON.

Congratz on passing the NCLEX. :star:

Even though Chinook had only six months of volunteer nursing in 'Pinas, she got a job fairly quickly here in the U.S. She's now a charge nurse at a nursing home. Have you applied at any nursing homes? Many of them like to hire Pinoys. When it comes to nursing home hiring, I think good English language skills can be more important than experience.

Nursing can be very stressful depending on the particular field of nursing one choses to go into.

Chinook said the NLE was more difficult than the NCLEX. It took a lot longer too.

You bet Tahoma!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.