maning

Any Philippine RNs who moved to the USA with a K/Spouse Visa?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee is a recent BSN graduate and is now an RN in The Philippines... she plans to work as a RN (she will take the NCLEX in the USA) when she arrives in the US. We KINDA have an idea on what we have to do, but I would prefer to hear from other Philippine RNs who moved to the USA and took the NCLEX and passed and are now working as an RN in the USA.

Basically asking for a step by step tutorial on how someone who is an RN in The Philippines can be a RN in the USA. What steps did you have to do to get licensed in the US?

We have instructions from our Board of Nursing on what we need to do, but I would like to hear from personal experiences...

Vermont Service Center

US Embassy In Manila, The Philippines

I-129F Sent: 2011-04-25

I-129F NOA1: 2011-04-26

I-129F NOA2: 2011-09-29

NVC Received:2011-09-29

NVC Left: 2011-10-18

Consulate Received: 2011-11-03

Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-07

Interview Date: 2011-11-23

Interview Result: Approved!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are a couple members that come to mind, reach out to Tahoma, his Pinay wife did exactly as your fiancee plans to do. She is currently working as a nurse in the Seattle area.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

let your fiancee search this group in facebook : we CARE bec. WE are NURSES.. let her join us. we talk about anything about being a nurse in the US/Phils, how to apply for NCLEX-RN and everything under the sun about the medical profession.

as1cHr40g410000MTU3bHN8MDQ1MTAzNGx8c2luY2Ugd2UgbWV0IGluIG1hdGNo.gif

as1cJK60g410000MDAwMDEwN2x8MDE1NWxzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGZvdW5kIG91ciBsb3Zl.gif

event.png

as1cJYl0g410010MDAwNTQ2NnN8MDE1NnN8c2luY2Ugd2VkZGluZyBkYXk.gif

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

let her search we CARE bec. WE are NURSES.. in facebook.let her join us. we talk about how to apply NCLEX-RN, what to study, we share NCLEX notes, we talk about being a nurse in the US?PHIL and everything under the sun about many medical profession.

as1cHr40g410000MTU3bHN8MDQ1MTAzNGx8c2luY2Ugd2UgbWV0IGluIG1hdGNo.gif

as1cJK60g410000MDAwMDEwN2x8MDE1NWxzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGZvdW5kIG91ciBsb3Zl.gif

event.png

as1cJYl0g410010MDAwNTQ2NnN8MDE1NnN8c2luY2Ugd2VkZGluZyBkYXk.gif

There are a couple members that come to mind, reach out to Tahoma, his Pinay wife did exactly as your fiancee plans to do. She is currently working as a nurse in the Seattle area.

That's right, Leatherneck. :thumbs: Chinook was a nurse in 'Pinas, passed the NCLEX-RN here in the States, and is now working as an RN here in Seattle.

Manny & Cel, below is a post I made in a recent thread. I hope it helps:

The NCLEX-RN process here in the States is the same as it is in 'Pinas. Only the price is different. It costs $350 in 'Pinas (and often travel expenses too). It costs $200 in the U.S. You can apply for the ATT (authorization to test) through any state in the U.S. Each state has its own requirements. Once you have fulfilled the requirements of the state where you applied, and have received the ATT, you can sit for the NCLEX-RN anywhere you want, including your home town. You do not need to take the test in the state where you applied for the ATT.

Once you pass the NCLEX-RN, you will be issued an RN license by the state which gave you the ATT. That license authorizes you to work as an RN in that state. If you instead want to work in the state where you live, you can transfer your license to your state through a procedure called "license by endorsement." Each state has it's own requirements for licensing by endorsement. Once you have completed the licensing by endorsement process, you will be licensed in your state and can go to work as an RN.

Chinook applied through the state of Vermont for the ATT, and was accepted. She sat for the NCLEX-RN in the state of Washington. She passed the test, and was licensed by the State of Vermont. Then she applied through the State of Washington for a license by endorsement. It took a month or so for Washington to grant her a license. Chinook started working as an RN here in Washington about three months after the Washington State Board of Nursing issued her license.

Here are Chinook's recommendations for preparing for the NCLEX-RN:

> Saunders Comprehensive Fourth Edition-- A good book for the basics. Also, pay attention to the Pharma.

> Exam Cram-- A good book for analysis. The practice questions are similar in style to the actual test.

> LaCharity-- A good book for prioritization.

> NCLEX3500-- Free online review. Good for analysis. Questions are more challenging than Saunders.

> Memorize only the very basic lab values. If you try to understand the concept first, the analysis becomes easier.

> Answer at least 100 questions every day.

> Chinook self-studied for the NCLEX-RN. She always wanted to feel fresh and relaxed when she was studying, so she would study for an hour or so at a time. Then, when she was feeling tired, she would take a short nap.

Good luck on the NCLEX. There are jobs out there waiting for you!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I'm a recent BSN grad too and I will go back to the Philippines next year to take the NLE because local license from the PI is required here in Illinois. Can't seem to get away with that rule. :( Good thing your fiancee took the NLE already.

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Hi! I'm a recent BSN grad too and I will go back to the Philippines next year to take the NLE because local license from the PI is required here in Illinois. Can't seem to get away with that rule. :( Good thing your fiancee took the NLE already.

You might want to check into the license by endorsement process in Illinois. The reason I say this is because it may save you the time and expense of taking the NLE in 'Pinas.

Here's my reasoning:

Illinois may not require the NLE in order to qualify for a license by endorsement. If they do not require the NLE, then you could apply for the ATT for the NCLEX-RN through a state which does not require the NLE. After you pass the NCLEX, you could transfer your license to Illinois through their license by endorsement process.

I don't know which states would allow you to sit for the NCLEX without having passed the NLE, but maybe you could find out on allnurses.com.

Just saying...

My wife went through the process and got licensed last April.

1st question,,, Is what state are you looking to get her licensed? Then Google for State XXXX Board of Nursing and try to

find information on "Foreign Trained Nurses".

We are in Texas,,, I reviewed the Board of Nursing rules for licensing for all mid-west compact states and Texas, we found

Texas to be the easiest.

If your Fiancee has the time I recommend a Philippines Based NCLEX training class... The Philippines Nurses are not trained

to pass the NCLEX in their normal classes (from what I understand). My wife had trouble with the Drug regiments used in the

USA and also, prioritization, (which if different in the USA). Our nurses our taught to question everything,,, including

the doctors. A few weeks of Kaplan or Gapuz could save you a lot of time later and subsequently money.

My wife was a licensed RN in the PI for two years,, before moving to the USA in 2009. Then with the immigration and having

a baby,,, another two years lapsed. So,,,, her school knowledge needed refreshing, she went back to the PI this spring and

did the half of the Kaplan course, took the NCLEX in Manila and passed. Two weeks later she was licensed and had her first

job offer in Texas.

My wife said, her biggest mistake was not taking a prep-course while waiting for the immigration paperwork.

That is my two centavos,

Please feel free to PM us, if you would like more information.

Regards,

Douglas... :thumbs: ...Chinook agrees...get ready for the Pharma questions on the NCLEX...Saunders will help in that regard.

:wow: That must have been an expensive review course...having to fly to 'Pinas. Why didn't your wife take a Kaplan review course locally in Texas?

Timeline

let her search we CARE bec. WE are NURSES.. in facebook.let her join us. we talk about how to apply NCLEX-RN, what to study, we share NCLEX notes, we talk about being a nurse in the US?PHIL and everything under the sun about many medical profession.

Thanks I'll let her know about the group!

Vermont Service Center

Timeline

That's right, Leatherneck. :thumbs: Chinook was a nurse in 'Pinas, passed the NCLEX-RN here in the States, and is now working as an RN here in Seattle.

Manny & Cel, below is a post I made in a recent thread. I hope it helps:

The NCLEX-RN process here in the States is the same as it is in 'Pinas. Only the price is different. It costs $350 in 'Pinas (and often travel expenses too). It costs $200 in the U.S. You can apply for the ATT (authorization to test) through any state in the U.S. Each state has its own requirements. Once you have fulfilled the requirements of the state where you applied, and have received the ATT, you can sit for the NCLEX-RN anywhere you want, including your home town. You do not need to take the test in the state where you applied for the ATT.

Once you pass the NCLEX-RN, you will be issued an RN license by the state which gave you the ATT. That license authorizes you to work as an RN in that state. If you instead want to work in the state where you live, you can transfer your license to your state through a procedure called "license by endorsement." Each state has it's own requirements for licensing by endorsement. Once you have completed the licensing by endorsement process, you will be licensed in your state and can go to work as an RN.

Chinook applied through the state of Vermont for the ATT, and was accepted. She sat for the NCLEX-RN in the state of Washington. She passed the test, and was licensed by the State of Vermont. Then she applied through the State of Washington for a license by endorsement. It took a month or so for Washington to grant her a license. Chinook started working as an RN here in Washington about three months after the Washington State Board of Nursing issued her license.

Here are Chinook's recommendations for preparing for the NCLEX-RN:

> Saunders Comprehensive Fourth Edition-- A good book for the basics. Also, pay attention to the Pharma.

> Exam Cram-- A good book for analysis. The practice questions are similar in style to the actual test.

> LaCharity-- A good book for prioritization.

> NCLEX3500-- Free online review. Good for analysis. Questions are more challenging than Saunders.

> Memorize only the very basic lab values. If you try to understand the concept first, the analysis becomes easier.

> Answer at least 100 questions every day.

> Chinook self-studied for the NCLEX-RN. She always wanted to feel fresh and relaxed when she was studying, so she would study for an hour or so at a time. Then, when she was feeling tired, she would take a short nap.

Good luck on the NCLEX. There are jobs out there waiting for you!

This is great info! Thanks! I have a question though... when she applied through Vermont did they require her to take an English proficiency test (Ex. TOEFL)? We are applying through South Carolina BON and one of their requirements for foreign educated nurses is that if the nursing course was not taught in English or English is not an official language (kinda funny since English is not the official language of the USA either lol) of her country that she would need to take TOEFL. Her nursing course was taught in English and we can get a letter from the university to verify this. I just feel that her English skills are even better than mine and just find that taking TOEFL is just a waste of money and time away from focusing on studying for the NCLEX.

Did she also had to submit a CES (Certified Evaluation Service) from CGFNS to the Vermont BON? SC BON requires CES, which is basically an independent evaluation of her college transcript/courses to see if they meet US standards. I'm not really worrying about it since many of her former friends did not come across any trouble with CES.

Also, thanks for the book/study guide recommendations! She already has Sauders, but we'll look into the others as well. She isn't planning to rush into taking the NCLEX, but plans to study for 6 months and wait till her AOS is approved before she even attempts to take the NCLEX. She's hoping she can at least work as a Nursing Technician while she's preparing for the NCLEX. If not she doesn't mind waitressing hehe...

Vermont Service Center

Timeline

Yeah, she was so stressed out during her review for her NLE. She signed up for two review centers (GAPUZ and forgot the other one...) but quickly found out that she did better self studying. She did benefit from test taking tips that they gave her though. She was so stressed out because she was studying 24/7 and at the same time she had all this weight on her shoulder to pass the NLE. She said if she didn't pass it, she won't go to US yet until she does. So when she passed she just cried her eyes out lol.

I heard New York is the only state that doesn't require Philippine license. You can try to look up their new rules, but I know from the past that New York didn't require it, but you had to take a few courses to be certified on something, but you could take those classes online. Try inquiring about New York requirements from NY Board of Nursing and once you're able to take the NCLEX there and become an RN, just endorse/transfer to Illinois.

Vermont Service Center

Timeline

My wife went through the process and got licensed last April.

1st question,,, Is what state are you looking to get her licensed? Then Google for State XXXX Board of Nursing and try to

find information on "Foreign Trained Nurses".

We are in Texas,,, I reviewed the Board of Nursing rules for licensing for all mid-west compact states and Texas, we found

Texas to be the easiest.

If your Fiancee has the time I recommend a Philippines Based NCLEX training class... The Philippines Nurses are not trained

to pass the NCLEX in their normal classes (from what I understand). My wife had trouble with the Drug regiments used in the

USA and also, prioritization, (which if different in the USA). Our nurses our taught to question everything,,, including

the doctors. A few weeks of Kaplan or Gapuz could save you a lot of time later and subsequently money.

My wife was a licensed RN in the PI for two years,, before moving to the USA in 2009. Then with the immigration and having

a baby,,, another two years lapsed. So,,,, her school knowledge needed refreshing, she went back to the PI this spring and

did the half of the Kaplan course, took the NCLEX in Manila and passed. Two weeks later she was licensed and had her first

job offer in Texas.

My wife said, her biggest mistake was not taking a prep-course while waiting for the immigration paperwork.

That is my two centavos,

Please feel free to PM us, if you would like more information.

Regards,

She's applying through South Carolina BON. There requirements are not too strict and understandable.

She's not rushing to take the NCLEX, but plans to study for 6 months before taking it. She also hopes to work/volunteer at the hospital in some capacity to get a feel and learn US differences as soon as she gets her EAD for work authorization. She's well aware of the differences and has started studying them.

She doesn't really like review centers from past experiences... but prefers to self study. I tried to talk her into taking NCLEX review centers, but she felt that she could do better on her own. I'll take her word for it since she passed her NLE with a pretty high score. She does plan to attend a NCLEX study course in the US, but mainly for test taking tips and stuff like that. Also, she plans to sign up for CGFNS NCLEX online review as well as Kaplan's Online Review. Right now she's gathering from her friends who already passed their NCLEX what she needs to study. Everyone seems to have their own preference. So hopefully things work out.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Congrats to your wife on her first job! That's the main reason why I want my fiancee to get her RN license so she can work and not be stuck inside the house all day.

Vermont Service Center

This is great info! Thanks! I have a question though... when she applied through Vermont did they require her to take an English proficiency test (Ex. TOEFL)? We are applying through South Carolina BON and one of their requirements for foreign educated nurses is that if the nursing course was not taught in English or English is not an official language (kinda funny since English is not the official language of the USA either lol) of her country that she would need to take TOEFL. Her nursing course was taught in English and we can get a letter from the university to verify this. I just feel that her English skills are even better than mine and just find that taking TOEFL is just a waste of money and time away from focusing on studying for the NCLEX.

Did she also had to submit a CES (Certified Evaluation Service) from CGFNS to the Vermont BON? SC BON requires CES, which is basically an independent evaluation of her college transcript/courses to see if they meet US standards. I'm not really worrying about it since many of her former friends did not come across any trouble with CES.

Also, thanks for the book/study guide recommendations! She already has Sauders, but we'll look into the others as well. She isn't planning to rush into taking the NCLEX, but plans to study for 6 months and wait till her AOS is approved before she even attempts to take the NCLEX. She's hoping she can at least work as a Nursing Technician while she's preparing for the NCLEX. If not she doesn't mind waitressing hehe...

It has been a few years since Chinook applied through Vermont, and she can't remember some of the requirements. She actually passed the IELTS before she even applied through Vermont, but she thinks she didn't need it when she applied through Vermont since all of her nursing courses were in English. You shouldn't have any problem with the SC BON in this regard.

At the time she applied through Vermont, she thinks they did their own in-house transcript evaluations, so there was no need for CES. I doubt if you will have any problems with CES.

Chinook studied for the NCLEX when she was still living in 'Pinas. After arriving here in the states, she continued studying another six months. She didn't take a review course...it was all self-study. Then she passed on her first try...in only 75 questions...and in less than an hour and a half.

I heard New York is the only state that doesn't require Philippine license.

Try inquiring about New York requirements from NY Board of Nursing and once you're able to take the NCLEX there and become an RN, just endorse/transfer to Illinois.

I don't know, but you might be right about New York being the only state which doesn't require a foreign-trained nurse to have a license in their own country. It's worth checking into some more.

Also, after checking into it some more, it appears that Illinois requires a foreign-trained nurse to have had a license in their own country even if they are applying for licensure by endorsement. That issue is worth a phone call to the Illinois BON for clarification.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.