PsychoKat

Things could always be worse

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Last night while on a searching for any successful accounts of hardship waivers on the 2 year meeting requirement I came across an old page last updated in 2002 by all appearances, regarding the IIRAIRA signed into law in 1996.

I have to admit that until Steve and I came to be and I had to learn about the immigration process, I was completely and totally ignorant of what it involved. So much so that I would be embarrassed to admit I used to think there was basically nothing more to it than getting married...if I didn't know that the majority of people who haven't gone through it seem to think that. As a result needless to say as I read through all the accounts here I was shocked, and even horrified by some of what occurred over that time. Of course there are quite a number of stories that I didn't find that shocking based on the circumstances, even now with laws implimented granting a bit more leniency, some of them would still end up with the same results, but some *shakes head*

Based on what I've now read about this, when the law came into being the grounds for admissability were put into effect retroactively and unwaiverable. As such some who had been LPR's for years, or even in one case naturalized, were subject to deportation under the "new" law for incidents that in some cases occurred years prior and in which they had already paid their debts for once under the older laws.

Just a couple that really left me in shock for examples

Received April 14, 1999

To Whom it may concern,

I will start by telling you a little about myself. I wasborn in 1969, in Portugal. When I was three years old my family immigrated to Vancouver, BC, which we lived for about five years. In 1978 my family immigrated to the US, which we have lived since then. I went to school here my whole life and grew up in the same way as American children. After graduating high school I joined the military, like a lot of other people do. I was with the 82nd Airborne Division, stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. I was on active duty for four years. During that time I was deployed to the Persian gulf for operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. In 1993 my four year enlistment was up and I decided to get out of active duty and join the Army reserves. While in the Army Reserves I was told that I had to become an American citizen to stay in the Army, because a person can not stay in the military after eight years unless they become an American citizen. Three years ago I applied to become an American citizen. The process was going good, even though it was taking a long time. After getting interviewed and been told that my application was

good and all I needed was to be sworn in, the process stopped. When I did not receive an answer from the INS for a long period of time, I made my own inquirers. Myself along with the military, from my company command to the commanding general, contacted the INS to find out what was happening with my application. My time in the military was running out and I wanted to reenlist. The military also wanted me to reenlist , but their hands were tied by the eight year limit. After exhausting all my extensions, with the military, making my time in the military a total of nine and a half years and being promoted to E-6 Staff SGT., my enlistment was up and I could not reenlist. As of January 10, 1999 I was forced to leave the Military. My unit is hoping that I resolve this and get back in, so I can do the job that I have been doing and love to do. After talking to someone I met, who works for the INS, I finally found out why my application was being held up. I found out that they were holding it up because of a incident that happened in my passed four years ago. I do not understand why something like this would stop the process, when I was 100% truthful with the INS. It really shocks me that this country, the only one that I feel a part of, could take immigrants into their military, let them fight for this country, let them get infected with chemical and tell them that the government will take care of them and then deny you from becoming a citizen. I do not want you to think that I do not like this country, I love America and am willing to die for it in war defending it. I would just like to be treated as equal as everyone else, so

that what I fought for, while in the Army, was for everyone in this country

Received April 5, 1999

This is in regard to my brother, is name is Donald R.Moore. Having lived in the the United States for thirty years - naturalized for twenty-five, he now is sitting in the Servicing Processing Center, 8915 Montana Ave unit 4 El Paso, Texas 79925, awaiting deportation. His alien number is A34529244. After serving time for bank fraud ( he was an officer at the Bank of America). The interesting truth is, he sent for his childhood sweetheart in jamaica married and they have two children. His has been a naturalized citizen for at least ten years. His wife ( a registered nurse)falls in and out of depression on a weekly basis the daughter 13 years old ( hydrocephalic)cannot be told where her father is. Over the christmas holidays she underwent three operations in ten days, all she wanted was her daddy. He son 17 years old has to treated for depression also, his school work has dropped off badly, he atributes it to headaches and finds it hard to consentrate. This family has been devastated.If there is anything you can do to help this family please do.

I thought when you were naturalized you became a citizen...maybe I'm wrong? I realize bank fraud is a big issue, but since he was natualized shouldn't he have served his debt in the US legal system rather than deportation?

Source

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Filed: Other Timeline

It shouldn't but apparently it does. I've read other stories about naturalized citizens having their citizneships revoked, and then deported.

Land of the free... :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!