Ducsaghar

K-1 or K-3?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Brace yourself for a long ride my friend. Because she is from Iran, this most likely will not be a standard 4-6 journey. DHS is going to look at her hard. I mean up, down, sideways and every other way they can think of. These days they are in the paranoid mode. My fiancée is from Ethiopia and just because she worked in a Muslim country they gave us a hard time, and we have kids together. So expect the unexpected. Good luck, hope you have a better experience with them than I did.

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

In some countries, filing a petition (K1 or CR-1) after the very first in-person meeting can present a problem, in others, it's no big deal. You need an Iran specific answer in this regard (or a Middle East general answer). Officially, there is no law or regulation that requires of an engagement period prior to a wedding date.

To maximize your chances for success, frontload your petition. Frontloading is including various types of evidence along with the required paperwork when you file the petition with USCIS. Everything you send with the initial filing becomes part of the file that will be viewed by a Consular Official (CO) prior to an interview taking place. Examples of relationship evidence include but is not limited to: pictures, airline tickets, hotel receipts, phone records, skype records, emails, chat logs, cards, etc.

I have never been to Iran personally, but I have read that getting a visa for Iran is complicated. You may want to check out the Trip Advisor - Iran Forums for information. Also, this information on a visa to Iran is from Lonely Planet, I do not know how current it is.

Again, you're so informative, Ryan.

I'm leaning toward K-1, but CR-1 looks really tempting because the total process seems less time-consuming. Your tip on frontloading the petition is fantastic. I'll definitely try my best to do that. Thank so much for the link to tripadvisor.com. Reading people's experiences in Iran really eases my concern greatly.

Many thanks, Ryan. :)

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Brace yourself for a long ride my friend. Because she is from Iran, this most likely will not be a standard 4-6 journey. DHS is going to look at her hard. I mean up, down, sideways and every other way they can think of. These days they are in the paranoid mode. My fiancée is from Ethiopia and just because she worked in a Muslim country they gave us a hard time, and we have kids together. So expect the unexpected. Good luck, hope you have a better experience with them than I did.

I'm already bracing myself, Herb. I think my situation is going to be more difficult than usual. It's a reality that I just have to accept due to the political climate and relationship between the US and Iran. All I can do is be as thorough and organized as I possibly can. On top of that, I just have to stay positive and pray for the best.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

:thumbs: . . . :thumbs: . . . :thumbs:

be wise in your choices.. they are life altering.. INTERNET Relationship is different then in REALTIME..

you don't need lawyer.. just do lots of research in here.. there is tons of information from people that have screwed up before you.. so learn from their mistakes..

either process will still take time.. 6-9 months *average IF you don't make a mistake for the GOVERNMENT has a question..

take your time.. crosse all T's and dot all I's..

Good Luck..

Excellent advice & comments.... especially the first sentence.

To the OP..... best wishes to you. Your eventual face-to-face visit with her will be exciting and, of course, critically important. Go into it with all your hopes & dreams.... but don't rely 100% on your heart... keep your head.

I hope it all goes well & you make the right choice of a lifetime!

Our wedding pics with music...

http://animoto.com/play/SA1SIQmniZA5gRc3pxkDEA

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Ummm,not really,why are you giving him wrong information?DHS is not racist.sure Iran is Terrorist country and there is no sugar coating,but Iran is considered a terrorist country because f the government,not people.

OP you should watch out. I'm not sure how much you know about the financial and cultural crisis that is going on in Iran, but people and specially women are doing anything in their power together out of there.even if it means committing visa fraud,so be VERY VERY careful and don't rush into filing the k-1 or whatever you choose to file.once you meet her,she will be that girl wi an American bf back home so she will wait for you,or she should if e relationship is genuine from her side.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.