nottoolong

DS 160 form confusion for K1...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My fiance submiited our packet 3 on September 30th. We are now waiting for packet 4 for her interview date. I would think she/we should be hearing of the date by the end of the month, if we go by the embassy's website. I have a bit of confusion though. May just emailed me this morning and said she hired someone, and also purchased a pin through the post office. She said the DS 160 form is required, but I know it is not required for the K1. I've yet to talk with her, but the email said this would get our interview date, which I have never heard of. I did email her and said this was not needed and who told her this? Is there any way someone helping her could've confused this? The DS 160 is for a temporary visa, so unless May didn't tell them that this is for a K1, which I'm sure she didn't, how could someone confuse this? I'm at a loss until I see/speak with her. Later tonight hopefully.

Thank you.

Timeline

This was cleared up late last night fortunately. My fiance listens to a couple of her girlfriends who are misinformed at times. So when May sent the e-mail to me, I was surely scratching my head. We'll now continue looking forward to packet 4!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

So you don't ned ds 160 for k1 right? I am having same confusion because website sayd its mandatory

I just noticed your reply. The DS 160 form isn't required for K1, at least for Thailand. This was something my fiancee confused a few months back. You should double check your countries requirements. Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/niv_howtoapply.html

"STEP 2: COMPLETE THE DS-160 VISA APPLICATION FORM

All individuals applying for non-immigrant visas -- excluding K1-4 fiancé(e) visa categories -- are required to submit the DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application.

In order to avoid delays in processing visa applications, visa applicants or their representatives must ensure that the following information is correctly provided: Applicant’s Complete Name (required format is Surname, First Name(s), Middle Name), Applicant’s Passport Information (the passport used in filling out the form must be the same passport presented on the day of the interview), Other Names (for married female applicants, type your complete maiden name), Purpose of Trip (if the answer falls under “Other,” specify the purpose of travel in the blank provided), Primary Occupation (if the answer falls under “Other,” specify the occupation in the blank provided), Contact Person and Contact Address in the United States, Father’s Complete Name, and Mother’s Complete Maiden Name.

A number of resources are available to assist applicants in completing the DS-160 application. U.S. Embassy Bangkok’s detailed guide on completing the DS-160 application, the U.S. Department of State’s Frequently Asked Questions for the DS-160, and a video guide are all available.

HINT: We recommend saving frequently to avoid data loss."

This is off the embassy's site??

USCIS

29 DEC 2011: I-129F sent

12 JAN 2012: NOA1 via E-mail

17 JAN 2012: Mil. Expedite Request Sent to CSC

19 JAN 2012: NOA1 Hard Copy

25 JAN 2012: Call USCIS to ask if file is at CSC yet, was informed of an email requesting documents that I never received

25 JAN 2012: Response for 'Typographical Error' in the email from the 20th(no wonder I didnt get it)

25 JAN 2012: Documents requested sent back to Case Officer

30 JAN 2012: NOA2 Hard Copy Via Snail Mail

NVC

30 JAN 2012: I-129F Packet Arrives

31 JAN 2012: Case forwarded to Embassy

Embassy

03 FEB 2012: Signed for at USEM

23 FEB 2012: Packet 3 arrives

28 FEB 2012: Packet 3 sent

05 MAR 2012: Packet 4 arrives

23 MAR 2012: Interview/221(g)

02 APR 2012: Approval!

04 APR 2012: Visa in hand ^_^

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.