Heroe

Notifying the USCIS about name change

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi. Me (beneficiary) and my wife (petitioner) sent the AOS package a little over a month ago, including I-130 + I-485 + I-765. We sent it right after we got married. After that, my wife changed her last name to mine. In the AOS documents and forms that we filled, we used always her maiden name since she hadn't changed her name yet. Now, we just realized than in the NOA, it says "notifiy the USCIS if there are any changes in the personal information". I just called the USCIS National Customer Service and they told me we needed to send a letter explaining the name change and include any supporting evidence (like her new social security card). However, I still have a few questions that maybe somebody here can help me solve:

-The guy told me to send the letter to the address that appears in the NOA. In my case, it is an address in Missouri, which I wasn't expecting since we live in Texas and we sent the AOS package to Chicago. I assume from Chicago they sent it to Missouri and that's where they're working at it right now?

-What should I say in the envelope? I'm pretty sure I need to put the receipt number, but what else? "Update"? "Name change"? Or just nothing else at all? I bet it's not very common to notify the USCIS about the petitioner's change of name, but I would appreciate any info regarding letters to the USCIS notifying address changes or phone number changes, since I could probably use something very similar in the envelope.

-I was planning on writing a very brief letter just explaining that the reason why she changed her name is because we just got married, and also include a photocopy of our marriage license, and her new social security card showing the changed name. Am I missing anything?

-There's been a problem with my wife's name change: I have two last names (two different words) and she only wants to have my first last name as her last name. When she got her new social security card, she had no trouble and she officially changed her last name to my first last name. However, when she tried to change her driver license, they wouldn't let her keep only my first last name and she was forced to have both of my last names as her last name, since both of my last names appear in the marriage license. We are now trying to legally change her last name to only my first one, using a court order. Since the USCIS seems to 'care' more about social security information than driver licenses, I think it makes sense to tell the USCIS to update her name to the one that her social security card says, which is also the one that she's ultimately going to have in her driver license.

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure about changing it while it's still at the NBC but there are several people on here who have successfully changed their names at the time of the interview just by bringing all their supporting documents and requesting it be changed on the green card directly to the IO. This is something you might want to think about just so you don't take the chance of slowing up your processing time.

Sep 2009- Met at school

November 29 2009- Asked her to be exclusive

July 4 2010- Asked for her hand in marriage

Dec 23 2010- Got married!!!

Mar 10 2011- Filed AOS with USCIS

Mar 11 2011- USCIS received app

April 9 2011- Received NOA for all forms

April 29 2011- Biometrics appointment scheduled

April 19 2011- Successful walk in biometrics in Phoenix

May 15- Received a RFE birth certificate/financial docs

June 9- Sent RFE back

June 13- Received email stating RFE response review

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just tell them at the interview, sending a letter about a petitioners name change for YOUR AOS might mix it up badly.

Everyones AOS is processed at NBC in Missouri.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

I really am afraid of getting my case delayed because of sending the letter. However, I especially don't want to get into BIG trouble because of not having notified of a change of name in the petitioner in time, and have my case totally rejected because of it. Should I not worry about it, and just wait for the interview?

You don't have to worry about your case being rejected because of that. There are a plenty of people who have successfully done it at the interview.

Sep 2009- Met at school

June 9- Sent RFE back

No, they guy you talked to the on the phone has no authority to do that. First off he isn't even in possession of your case, it's at the NBC, and second off he is just reading the information he told you from some computer screen as he just works at a call center. Don't sweat it so much. Good luck!

Sep 2009- Met at school

June 9- Sent RFE back

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.