Ban Hammer

Man jailed for beheading girlfriend's kitten

92 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I kinds see what you're getting at...maybe phrased a bit harsh...but like when I watch cops and see ppl getting abused, killed, whatever...It's like..well whatever.

When I wathc ANIMAL cops...when helpless, sweet animals are being abused, killed, whatever...I bawl my eyes out.

Me too!

I think all the points Jenn has been bringing up are really valid and important, but there is some reason that a lot of us can't draw the SAME line between human and animal that she does.

For me, the question isn't "is an animal worth a human life?" but rather "don't we have some responsibility to domesticated animals?"

When our hearts tell us something is wrong, I tend to wait for the logical explanation to make itself known. I don't cry about helpless puppies being maltreated for no reason. Just because it's legally difficult to draw lines does not mean our natural sense (ok, that MOST of us have) that what he did was sick does not deserve our attention.

In any case, torturing animals IS usually illegal.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I kinds see what you're getting at...maybe phrased a bit harsh...but like when I watch cops and see ppl getting abused, killed, whatever...It's like..well whatever.

When I wathc ANIMAL cops...when helpless, sweet animals are being abused, killed, whatever...I bawl my eyes out.

Me too!

I think all the points Jenn has been bringing up are really valid and important, but there is some reason that a lot of us can't draw the SAME line between human and animal that she does.

For me, the question isn't "is an animal worth a human life?" but rather "don't we have some responsibility to domesticated animals?"

When our hearts tell us something is wrong, I tend to wait for the logical explanation to make itself known. I don't cry about helpless puppies being maltreated for no reason. Just because it's legally difficult to draw lines does not mean our natural sense (ok, that MOST of us have) that what he did was sick does not deserve our attention.

In any case, torturing animals IS usually illegal.

I think I sort of force myself to draw this line when thinking about it because otherwise, I just can't make sense of it. I have the same reaction when watching movies where animals die. I do agree that we have a responsibility to protect domesticated animals, not because they're animals, but rather because we've domesticated them.

I admit, it's not a black and white issue, and common sense must come into play. However, it seems that the level of our emotional attachment to certain animals is determining the value of an animal's life. Therefore, these laws are really protecting the feelings of humans as opposed to the rights of animals, are they not?